[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Voting 8, I guess, although I'm having trouble disentangling ratings for the episode (pretty good, probably 8/10) from the season as a while (meh, 6 or 7 out of 10, oddly lower than my average for all the episodes).

I liked Arya and Trant, even though it didn't really make sense to me, based on what we'd seen of the brothel last week, that they'd let people come in and just beat little girls. But other than that it was well done (and, um, bonus, kind of, for not doing any creepy sexual thing. Beyond random beating, that is).

I think Stannis's story ended (?) marvellously well, even if it seemed a bit too cribbed from Macbeth at the end. I have no idea where it's going in the books, but that doesn't matter - in the show, I love this season's progress from triumphal hero at the Wall to a broken man who's destroyed everything he cared about. Plus I'm very curious what's going to happen with Melisandre now - her face when she returned to Castle Black was fantastic, the first sign we've seen of any character development for her. (I guess Stannis is dead now, even if a weapon being raised prior to certain death, followed by a cut, has led to real deaths approximately ... zero times in this series?)

King's Landing and in particular Lena Headey were excellent, although I wish we'd heard something about what's happening to the Tyrells. Yes, the walk went on too long - good. I'm glad it seemed awful. That was the point. I also liked how Qyburn rushing up with a blanket instantly turned our dear little mad scientist into the most kindhearted man in King's Landing.

Meereen was good, with Daario showing more character this episode than perhaps he ever has before. They found a more sensible reason for Tyrion to be ruling than I thought was possible, so that's good. (Still odd, but not as absurd as I'd feared.) I'm curious why Dany's interaction with Drogon this week looked so much better than it did last week. I guess I'm happy to see Varys back, but ... WTF?!

I think Dorne, Winterfell, and Castle Black were all solid enough in isolation, but not that good when viewed for the season as a whole.

Dorne: well, Jaime had a great scene there, and Myrcella was good too. I'm very surprised that she's (presumably) dead - with Cersei's prophecy, I was sure that she'd be queen after Tommen's death. But they got Alexander Siddig for that?! At the moment Ellaria's plan seems bizarre, but, well, if I'm going to give GRRM the benefit of a doubt on much of ADWD and AFFC until the next book comes out and hopefully ties it all together, I can do that for the show too.

Winterfell: assuming Sansa is in this situation, all well and good, and nice to see Myranda dead, and Theon returning. But why oh why has there been no hint this season that she was even trying to play the Boltons?! Try and fail, OK, but ... did she try? And I've only watched it once, but from the way it was filmed, that leap off the wall looked like a suicide jump - if they wanted it to seem like a big gamble, where maybe the snow would break their fall, that didn't seem to come across.

Castle Black: again, in isolation, the scene with Sam was good, and the murder was good. But it just doesn't make sense to me that, after they'd heard what happened at Hardhome, the murder would happen now.

And as is typical for this season, there are just too many inconsistencies or implausibilities: as I said earlier, the brothel letting Trant beat girls; Sansa's candle briefly turning into some kind of arc light; Stannis somehow making it back to the forest before being found by Brienne; Dany going on what seemed a pretty epic hike for a bite to eat; Varys somehow having a spy network in Meereen ... none of these are huge, but at some point around the middle of this season the show punctured my suspension of disbelief, and I'm not sure if it's going to come back.

I wonder if people actually know what plot holes are. They arent minor gaps in the story that you need to fill in yourself with a little common sene, they are wide open impossibilities or things that need far too much work to explain (and should be on screen). Little of the latter is in this show really, there is nothing unusual for TV here.

Oh damn..

Again, the Stannis and Jon fans with 1/10

I believe this ep clearly deserves more than 2/10. Agreed it was not perfect.

If you hate the show why watch every week and again post a 1/10?

Jeez...

Why would you even post this?

1. What a fucking mess. The characters aren't anything more than caricatures at this point.

I was gonna rate it higher just because Cersei's walk was actually quite good... But I honestly can't get past how badly they fucked up Dany's final ADwD chapter. They actually expect us to believe anyone in their right mind would actually follow her? LOL, what a joke.

I wonder if people actually know what plot holes are. They arent minor gaps in the story that you need to fill in yourself with a little common sene, they are wide open impossibilities or things that need far too much work to explain (and should be on screen). Little of the latter is in this show really, there is nothing unusual for TV here.

No, the plot holes in this show are GAPING plot holes. As has been pointed out many times.

3/10

And 3 is earned by Lena Headey and Mr Nutter and the Walk of Shame. It was done superbly.

All the rest is utter nonsense/rubbish. I am not even going to comment on it.

For the first time, I am glad that a season is over.

And now my watch is ended. One can only hope for TWoW.

Edited by Modesty Lannister

I gave it a 6. It was strangely unsatisfying. A few too many cliffhangers for my liking.

Good:

- Meereen. That was a great scene and delighted to see Varys and Tyrion back together

- The brief battle scenes. Brilliantly done

- The walk of shame. Exactly how I pictured it in the books and I liked Robert Strong

Bad:

- Stannis' death. Just felt a bit rushed and anticlimactic

- Meryn Trant. We get it, he's evil. No need to have him hit little girls with sticks

- Arya and Jaqen's face changing scene. Just seemed a bit cheesy. Reminiscent of that terrible scene in the cave in The Empire Strikes Back

And then there's For The Watch. Quite a good scene but there just wasn't enough time spent this season examining the motives behind it. Seemed a bit rushed.

Oh damn..

Again, the Stannis and Jon fans with 1/10

I believe this ep clearly deserves more than 2/10. Agreed it was not perfect.

If you hate the show why watch every week and again post a 1/10?

Jeez...

It is reductive and presumptuous to state so confidently, that Stannis and Jon fans are embittered to the point of not recognising good art when presented to them. Beyond Jon saying Olly as his last word and Stannis turning out to be an utter moron, there were far more annoying things in the episode, some of which are:

1. Bad pussy.

2. Elaria turning out to be just as idiotic as Stannis...perhaps even more than that.

3. Jaime and Myrcella's pointlessness.

4. Trant the paedophile.

5. Shame. *bell ring* shame *bell ring* shame. ...seriously, that scene didn't need any "improvement"

6. Brienne and the magical candle that can be seen from miles away...against the whiteness of the snow. ..in broad daylight. ..but turned out to be just as pointless as Dorne and the greatness of bad pussy.

7. The teleportation machine has now been bequeathed upon Mel...who arrives in CB only moments after Davos, who left for the Wall way before her.

8. It turns out that Sansa was raped so that Theon could push Myranda to her death...but then jumps from the same height only moments later. ..and this is supposed to be a cliffhanger.

9. Why is the Dothraki Sea so different? It looks like nothing we saw in season 1. And are those Dothraki surrounding Dany so she can be raped for profound creative reasons next season. ..my spidey senses tell me yes. I hope my spidey senses are wrong.

10. How great that Tyrion speaks High Valyrian, he should be able to fix all of Dany's fuck ups. With Grey Worm, of course. But yeah, Tyrion and everyone else can fix Dany's fuck ups while two guys, one of whom is possibly spreading greyscale, go in search of the Queen.

11. Arya fucks up...and a faceless man has to die. there are no such things as fairies, oops, I just killed a fairy.

12. But that's all good, Varys has only now gotten hold of the teleportation machine and found his way to the same pyramid where Tyrion just so happens to be pondering how his awesomeness will save this foreign city from...Dany's fuck ups because we don't have the insurgency from the books or any really threats really, we just have Dany's fuck ups, which even I'm not sure of because...well, nothing really happened in Meereen.

13. Do I see the beginnings of a love triangle between Missandei, Grey Worm and Saint Tyrion? I hope not, but the mere suggestion of it was enough to have me rolling my eyes.

the show doesn't DESERVE anything. It needs to earn good reviews and ratings.

And yeah, Jon is my favourite character. I won't apologise for that or censor myself simply because the Ds are horrible writers.

And I continue to watch because sadly, I want to have an IDEA of what happens next, and Martin is still writing. If all the books were out, I wouldn't continue with the show. So yeah, I'll be tuning in next season and hoping things get better.

Edited by Kyoshi

I gave it a 10.

Sure there were some rather conspicuous plot hole but I really enjoyed the episode.

Also I really don't understand how people can be rating this episode as a 1. I understand that people get upset that the show does not live up to the books BUT I think it is rather unfair to judge it so harshly.

Only a very vocal minority feel that way. That's the thing. And a lot of it comes down to

-an unwillingness to acknowledge some of the flaws of the book

-an unwillingness to accept that you don't know what is and isn't happening in the books anymore (certain people derided every plot they didn't like as a change, then when one of them was revealed to be in the books, they freaked out for getting spoiled)

-a lack of acknowledging the differences between the television medium and the book medium and why some things just don't work as well in television as they can in a book. As well as the limitations of one medium over another.

-just a general dislike of seeing things changed

-and then there are just people nitpicking looking for things to complain about and when they are given sufficient answers they just make subjective statements that you can't argue with like "it was unearned" when you know damn well if the same thing happened in the books they would jump through hoops to explain why it felt "earned" there and not in the show.

Also I'd venture to guess most people on this site read the books. So it's not a book fan vs show fan thing. It's a certain book fans thing. And really it's nothing new in the world of book to screen adaptations.

I have to sleep therefore I'm going to address the ones i have serious issues with.

-Unwillingness to accept the difference between 2 mediums? I had always backed the show; after season 1 they were never truly faithful to the books but the changes never bothered me (even though almost none improved the story) this season though; entire character themes and arcs have been hijacked which is not ok

-Unwillingness to accept flaws of the books? The books have plenty of flaws; however the show has significantly more (the only flaw they have fixed is tyrion's meeting with dany)

-unwillingness to accept that you know nothing now? I was very excited coming into season 5; 2 versions of the same story? Literally dream come true until I saw what this version looked like; nonsensical at it's best, insulting at it's worst. A huge letdown

Oh and the argument about constraints doesn't hold up; why would I have remained a fan for so long when literally everything has been scaled down from season 1? you'd think I'd have taken the many chances to have come my way (and btw it isn't the scale that's disheartenng, it's the little things)

I feel sorry for some of you. You're so far gone in your hatred of any slight variance to the books you are missing a TV spectacle. Seriously if you gave this a 1 just stop watching it's clearly not the show for you.

Voted 10,the Arya going blind scene and the Dornish scenes were the only weak bits.the rest was great.

8. It turns out that Sansa was raped so that Theon could push Myranda to her death...but then jumps from the same height only moments later. ..and this is supposed to be a cliffhanger.

IIRC it was literally about eight feet further along the exact wall Myranda clearly didn't survive falling from :dunno: