[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Like some other people have said, if you want to change half the things that happen and keep the other half, you end up having characters do things for completely irrational reasons. They either need to write their own story, and follow the story of the books. Make a choice, you can't have both.

That's not necessarily true. You can change what characters are doing if you follow the same logic and motivation that character has displayed and grown into over time. It just requires an attention to detail as well as careful planning and thinking. You also shouldn't force situations to occur on shaky logic because it will make it easier for you to do, that's how you ruin a show.

Well Euron and The Reach are pretty much confirmed for next season, so it's a good start!

I think a lot of the future of the show will be determined in Casting for Season 6. They really need to choose wisely when they select an actor for Euron because they are going to need an award winning performance to make up for the decline in complex characters. Here is to hoping that it goes well!

I think a lot of the future of the show will be determined in Casting for Season 6. They really need to choose wisely when they select an actor for Euron because they are going to need an award winning performance to make up for the decline in complex characters. Here is to hoping that it goes well!

I don't really have much faith in their writing, but their casting is very good. Chances are they cast him well and he carries the performance despite D&D giving him questionable lines and making him one-dimensionall

Huh? They have reached the point where they could cast literally anyone and the show would be fine in terms of popularity and ratings. Especially considering that Euron is a minor character.

Oh, I can agree with that. Specially if Jon is truly dead or at least absent for Season 6. The show has already lost a lot of the most charismatic and popular characters (Tywin, Joffrey, The Hound, Oberyn, Stannis). People have less and less characters to root for, and I can certainly see the ratings declining if they don't bring some badass and charismatic characters for Season 6. Euron and Randyll could solve this, but the casting must be really good, because I suspect that the weight of a good part of Season 6 will rest in their shoulders.

IF Sansa, and that is a big IF, needed to be at Winterfell for some reason to advance her plot or character then I can understand. But even if she NEEDED to be at Winterfell this season, my question is why did she HAVE to be raped every night? Some might say that she needed to be at Winterfell to learn about Bran and Rickon. Weak but ok, I'll buy it. Why did she have to be raped every night? It added or subtracted nothing to either Ramsay or Sansa that we hadn't already seen from either of them. It was pure shock value.

And dare I say it, but even Ramsey might have taken some time out actually get Sansa on his side? That might have been interesting, to see another beast fall in love with the beauty.

While I've never been a "shipper," I thought that Martin did very well the beast that was the Hound, (who butchered a child), and again the grayness, have him be utterly besotted and in the control of the little bird, who maybe was the catalyst for his questioning everything around him.

But, its a good thing that he is in a monastary now so that he is safe from Ramsey. In fact, the Mountain might want to count himself lucky, because clearly Ramsey, (who never had a noblemans upbringing or military training to my knowledge), is a fighting genius.

No we've seen tons of big changes all over the place. Gendry never gets sold to Mel and Stannis takes over Winterfell and Brienne never meets Sandor Clegene much less fights him. Nor does Brienne ever meet any of the girls yet and has yet to come close to meeting Stannis as of yet. Jaime never goes to Dorne and his daughter is okay in the book just badly wounded on the face.

Here's the thing though. Gendry never goes to Stannis. But Stannis does get one of Robert's bastards, does the leech thing, decides to kill him, then Davos saves him. That all happens. So the bastard was just switched for one we know about. And Gendry isn't a big enough character to qualify as a big change.

Sandor doesn't fight Brienne. Okay. But he does get mortally wounded at one point and Arya abandons him without dealing he the death blow. The only difference was it wasn't at an inn it was in the field with someone he came across. So again, the crucial thing happened.

Brienne never meets any of the Stark girls. Okay. She does in the show. They both elude her though and she hasn't actually got any of them yet (a better comparison would be to bring up how LSH is gone that's a big change). And she doesn't kill Stannis. But we are led to believe that Stannis does at the battle of Winterfell, so the only real change was that Brienne picked him off at the end. Again a small change with the same result that doesn't effect anything else.

Dorne was a big change I'll grant. But Dorne itself also has sort of been a subplot more than a main plot.

The biggest changes always were LSH is gone (which effects Brienne and Jamie for awhile, and you'll notice both of them have the biggest deviations) and Sansa was taken out of the Vale and brought to be the Jeyne Poole stand in. Which means we lost the Vale plot, but Winterfell is pretty much the same. And Aegon. And you can see where it caused the changes.

So it's really these little changes while the overall is still in tact.

Lets just go through it with the main characters.

1. Dany ended in the exact same place after leaving the pit with Drogon and surrounded by Dothraki. Mereen was simplified but overall pretty much the same result in the end.

2. Tyrion's story was fast tracked. He didn't meet Aegon. So they got him to Mereen two episodes before Dany left so they could have a scene together, and now he's roughly right on track

3. Jon Snow got stabbed. He pissed off everyone in the NW. Mel is at the Wall (hint hint). Biggest difference we got Hardhome and didn't get the Pink Letter (his stabbing had more to do with Wildlings than marching South). He's right where he needs to be in the story.

4. Arya is with the Faceless Men and blind. Biggest change is she killed Meryn Trant. Grand scheme of things, you get the idea.

5. Theon escaped with Ramsay's bride. Biggest change is it's Sansa and Mance wasn't involved.

6. Cersie took her walk and got Robert Strong. Biggest change she used Loras to get Margeary in trouble with the Sparrows.

7. Stannis. If you believe the Pink Letter, he died in the Battle of Winterfell. Biggest change, Brienne went in and killed him, the circumstances of his troops was different,, he burned Shireen who is getting burned in the books anyways and her burning will likely achieve the same purpose. But the key was that he lost there and died.

8. Mel is back at the wall just in time to resurrect Jon Snow.

9. Margeary is arrested by the Sparrows. Differnce is it's for lying and not adultery.

10. Sam is going to Oldtown with Gilly. Biggest difference it took him longer.

All those characters had changes but the core plotlines still happened and they are on the same rough path as the book versions (or ins some cases likely dead like them). And that's what the book has been doing since season 2.

3 MAJOR characters have had what I would call significant changes that for the forseeable future have completely taken them off their book arc until further notice.

1. Sansa. She was given the Jeyne Poole role. Though theoretically she has the easiest path to getting back to her book spot since the Vale is heading to her anyways.

2/3. Jamie and Brienne both went North and South because they can't be in the middle to meet the nonexistent LSH. Though after that storyline ends there is a chance they go back to there book spots.

When were the Unsullied rooting for Stannis? I can't imagine them rooting for Samwell's Father either.

Well, you might be right in that. The point is that there are less fans favorites around. It would be hurt the ratings? I don't know. But if Jon doesn't come back I certainly think it will.

Edited by Barristan Whitebeard

IF Sansa, and that is a big IF, needed to be at Winterfell for some reason to advance her plot or character then I can understand. But even if she NEEDED to be at Winterfell this season, my question is why did she HAVE to be raped every night? Some might say that she needed to be at Winterfell to learn about Bran and Rickon. Weak but ok, I'll buy it. Why did she have to be raped every night? It added or subtracted nothing to either Ramsay or Sansa that we hadn't already seen from either of them. It was pure shock value.

Because if Sansa was going to be in Winterfell with the Boltons at all she was going to have too be Jeyne Poole because the entire reason Jeyne Pool exists is because they can't get their hands on Sansa or Arya to do the exact same thing to them. Thats why. It actually was the most logical thing in keeping with the books if you brought Sansa there.

Like some other people have said, if you want to change half the things that happen and keep the other half, you end up having characters do things for completely irrational reasons. They either need to write their own story, and follow the story of the books. Make a choice, you can't have both.

:bowdown:

Also noteworthy: Number of viewers doesn't equal good ratings. And if one TV is on and 100 people view it, do they count that? Or do they count in the illegal streamers?

I think s1 and s2 might have had the same numbers as now, but lot of people didn't have HBO subscriptions then.

And then ratings. Thousands of people go into cinema and are then reviewing the film badly. So there is that.

And, if only the last episode had a large number of viewers, well that isn't too rosy either. It means the season was bland and skippable and they only wanted to see the finale.

Everything is relative and should be looked at thoroughly before reading something into it that isn't.

Also noteworthy: Number of viewers doesn't equal good ratings. And if one TV is on and 100 people view it, do they count that? Or do they count in the illegal streamers?

I think s1 and s2 might have had the same numbers as now, but lot of people didn't have HBO subscriptions then.

And then ratings. Thousands of people go into cinema and are then reviewing the film badly. So there is that.

And, if only the last episode had a large number of viewers, well that isn't too rosy either. It means the season was bland and skippable and they only wanted to see the finale.

Everything is relative and should be looked at thoroughly before reading something into it that isn't.

I agree with that popularity does not equal quality. Personally, I think the season was very irregular. But the fact is that the show remains extremely popular, like it or not .

I mean, if they all end up in the same place, who cares if they're different characters? Why bother even having all that stuff about war in the Riverlands, or Brienne questioning whether she has the heart to kill, or Dorne getting vengeance, as long as there's a place for everyone and everyone in there place. Because all of that stuff which made them get to the places they are is just fluff. Who cares about the characters themselves? It's the story that matters.

Brienne's story in the Riverlands won't appeal to fans. Cool, change it, have her explore her arc in The North instead, that should be interesting.

Oh, you put her in a tower watching a window waiting for a candle for two months, because you needed her to be near Winterfell so she could kill Stannis, I get it. Freeing Sansa would totally work too, because those 1,500 Bolton soldiers are playing pattycake with Dany's Unsullied in some bunker until we need them for something.

They could have used the 'action' elements of Brienne's Feast arc, there are plenty to pick from. Instead, she kills a few random guys early on, then spends the whole series starting out a stupid window, waiting for a stupid bat candle to be lit from so far away there's no chance she'd actually see it. Yeah, I was n the edge of my seat the whole time. :lol: Edited by kissdbyfire