[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Did so and found them lacking. The show improved on the lacklustre and rambling "story" of Feast and Dance. Deal with it.

Tell me what has the show done better than:

Aegon invading Stormlands

Quentyn releasing Dragons

The North plotting against the Boltons

Jaime realising Cersei never loved him and fulfilling his vows to Cat

Brienne's meeting Stoneheart

Doran's "Fire and Blood" speech.

Stannis whole Northern campaing

The Kingsmoot

Areo killing Arys

Barristan arresting Hizdhar.

All the other things people say "wow! that's cool!" are scenes straight from the books even if they lack context and characterization.

The problem with books 4 and 5 was that it was the aftermath of the Red wedding and the Starks were at their lowest point. Robb was dead and The Boltons, Lannisters, Freys and Tyrells were peacocking around. By ADWD though, the winds of change were starting to blow, this is around the point where ADWD caught up to AFFC and they became one story again. In the shows, we have not reached that point, especially in the North where we are in the books. The Northern lords and Stannis are about to have it out with the Boltons and Freys, the show flushed it down the gong pit hole.

Edited by A Ghost of Someone

Yes, yes, naturally. This season was the most watched ever and a roaring success on each count - people love it and critics love it. Ratings do matter, not the opinions of the vocal minority here. D&D will be able to choose their further projects - after this immense success they will be in high demand. Deal with it, haters :kiss:

“Tik-Tok” (Kesha) has sold more copies than any Beatles single.

Hence, Kesha is a better artist than the Beatles. :dunno:

And yes, I'm sure D&D will be able to choose their future projects. But I doubt any author would want them to adapt their works again.

And yes, I'm sure D&D will be able to choose their future projects. But I doubt any author would want them to adapt their works again.

I don't appreciate you comparing Kesha to D+D. :box: :P

But yes, popularity does not equal success.

I really can't wait until D+D get to make their own IP. I'll be sitting here watching it crash and burn, laughing maniacally.

Tell me what has the show done better than:

Aegon invading Stormlands pointless filler of a character drawn out of a hat too late in the series

Quentyn releasing Dragons Quentyn? Now I know you are just trolling :lol:

The North plotting against the Boltons Not important nor needed to be shown

Jaime realising Cersei never loved him and fulfilling his vows to Cat Not resolved in Dance either

Brienne's meeting Stoneheart Thank God for cutting that idiotic zombie theme.

Doran's "Fire and Blood" speech. Dorne was as bad in the books as in the show. At least we had Tyene in the show, that salvaged it a bit.

Stannis whole Northern campaing Stannis was done superbly in the show - loved it!

The Kingsmoot Greyjoy filler - the worst of Feast next to Brienne's pointless wanderings

Areo killing Arys Dorne again - really?

Barristan arresting Hizdhar. The Meereen mess in the show was at least done far more quickly than the tedious slog of Dony's musings in Dance which boiled down to "Should I suck Daario's cock or not?" And that 300 pages long.

All the other things people say "wow! that's cool!" are scenes straight from the books even if they lack context and characterization.

Really, if this is all you have to offer, you have to try harder. A lot.

Really, if this is all you have to offer, you have to try harder. A lot.

I didn't ask what things YOU consider to be more interesting. I'm saying what the show has done that is more interesting that those things.

All you say "it's a filler! it's a filler!". The greyjoys are much of a filler that they are casting Euron next season, lol.

And if you think show Tyene was better than the books, well, it's your taste the one that cannot be salvaged.

And during the Beatles era they were the most commercially successful band in the world so I don't see your point. It goes beyond ratings. Most fans, critics, even people on this site leaned on the side of liking this season. The one's that don't are a minority.

Also the beatles fucking suck.

Which does support the point that popularity does not equal quality so it's okay.

No but getting good reviews and getting a mostly positive reception from fans and critics does. And that's the situation this show is in.

Quality is subjective. You can only measure the amount of people that have favorable subjective opinions. Just like millions would say you have bad taste for thinking the beatles suck.

I will never comprehend why people seem to think Aegon, Arianne, Euron etc. are filler, just because they were introduced late. I mean, early ADWD is just over halfway through the series. Is that too late to introduce new characters?

And about Dorne - There's a huge amount of character development and family dynamics in there. I find it fascinating. There is far more depth in Dorne in the books than in the show, even if you choose to not like/ignore said depth.

I didn't ask what things YOU consider to be more interesting. I'm saying what the show has done that is more interesting that those things.

All you say "it's a filler! it's a filler!". The greyjoys are much of a filler that they are casting Euron next season, lol.

And if you think show Tyene was better than the books, well, it's your taste the one that cannot be salvaged.

If you think Quentyn and new "hey, I'm a Targaryen too!" Aegon are interesting, you have the worst taste ever, sorry to put it so bluntly. It's more interesting to watch paint dry than re-read the Quentyn "story arc".

And at least show Tyene showed us some awesome boobs, so this was more bang for your buck than the whole Dorne mess in the books ("I am Darkstar and I am of the night" :lol: )

Of course. No author would want them to make him a massive hit and a multi-millionaire *facepalm*

Do you actually think it's all they mind, don't you?

You should read a lot of interviews from authors who are very discontent on how the movie adaptations have treated their books. Roald Dahl, Susanna Kaysen and Michael Ende come to my mind (Ende even sued the producers). Gabriel García Márquez never allowed "100 years of solitude" to be adapted on screen because he knew mostly producers wouldn't get the story right.

GRRM is not some random writer that appeared out of nowhere. He's been writing before D&D even got to High School. He has a powerful name in the industry of books and bookselling. Any young author that finds out GRRM, named the third more powerful writer, could do nothing to protect his own work from HBO's changes and deviations, would thing twice before giving them the rights.

Tik-Tok (Kesha) has sold more copies than any Beatles single.

George RR Martin is a celebrity now, and not just amongst the fantasy fandom. When people, non-bookreaders, have to name the biggest fantasy epics, they'll name Lord of the Rings and asoiaf / got. GRRM really loves all the attention and recognition he gets since Game of Thrones. I don't think other authors would mind happening the same for them. And D&D did a very good job when the books were easier to adapt. I expect and hope that twow and ados will be more focused again, so I still believe they'll give this show a satisfying ending.

No but getting good reviews and getting a mostly positive reception from fans and critics does. And that's the situation this show is in.

Quality is subjective. You can only measure the amount of people that have favorable subjective opinions. Just like millions would say you have bad taste for thinking the beatles suck.

But they would be wrong, because quality is not subjective. It doesn't matter how many people like Kanye West better than JS Bach.

Edited by Facebookless Man

Do you actually think it's all they mind, don't you?

You should read a lot of interviews from authors who are very discontent on how the movie adaptations have treated their books. Roald Dahl, Susanna Kaysen and Michael Ende come to my mind (Ende even sued the producers). Gabriel García Márquez never allowed "100 years of solitude" to be adapted on screen because he knew mostly producers wouldn't get the story right.

GRRM is not some random writer that appeared out of nowhere. He's been writing before D&D even got to High School. He has a powerful name in the industry of books and bookselling. Any young author that finds out GRRM, named the third more powerful writer, could do nothing to protect his own work from HBO's changes and deviations, would thing twice before giving them the rights.

You naivety is endearing. It really is.

You're right that critical response is probably a good indicator of quality. But there's a few good reasons why Thrones continues to get good response from critics:

> The show used to be really good. Season 1 was almost unanimously considered brilliant, S2 and 3 were very good. Most people liked S4 even. This is the first season were it's been really terrible. It's no surprise that not everyone has caught on.

> It's a fantasy show, and I think that that sadly causes expectations to be lowered. The fact that GoT manages to pass the very low bar most people have for high fantasy means it doesn't fall under as much scrutiny as other shows.

> The production values are very high. Even critics can be blown away by great CGI to an extent. Especially on television where it's a rarity. Likewise the acting is usually great. In general, each individual scene tends to be watch able, but the show fails as a coherent whole.

> It has a large sprawling plot, which I think genuinely just bamboozles most of the audience, even critics, and causes them to fail to notice the lack of logic and the inconsistencies. If most people aren't analysing the show too deep, it's easy to miss some of the plot holes.

> The last two books are divisive. This provides a scape goat for the show. Show much of the critical hype surrounding Season 5 revolved around taking a dump on Feast and Dance.

And even with all of that, the critics are starting to air concerns about the show. Two more seasons down the line, and mark my words - this show won't be the darling of the critics any more.

And at least show Tyene showed us some awesome boobs, so this was more bang for your buck than the whole Dorne mess in the books ("I am Darkstar and I am of the night" :lol: )

So not only are you claiming Feast sucked, but you're also claiming Tyene has better boobs than Arianne?

George RR Martin is a celebrity now, and not just amongst the fantasy fandom. When people, non-bookreaders, have to name the biggest fantasy epics, they'll name Lord of the Rings and asoiaf / got. GRRM really loves all the attention and recognition he gets since Game of Thrones. I don't think other authors would mind happening the same for them. And D&D did a very good job when the books were easier to adapt. I expect and hope that twow and ados will be more focused again, so I still believe they'll give this show a satisfying ending.

They're not going to have TWOW and ADOS to work with though. I guess you can still hope what we've seen of their original content wasn't the best they could do...

As for the other point, I'd totally let my life's work be butchered in exchange for a truckload of money tbh :D It's not like it affects the quality of the original.

Edited by Facebookless Man