Maybe Stannis is still alive

tseka

• 2 weeks later...

Actors are probably as much in the dark about it as the viewers are. If Davos and Melisandre in the show think Stannis is dead then maybe Liam Cunningam and Carice van Houten,as actors, are made to believe Stephen Dillane will not come back. Producers may keep actors in the dark because a lot of times if actors know what is going to happen way before hand it affects their acting. Which is why many actors keep themselves in the dark about their own characters and refuse to read the books because they don't want to know what is going to happen. Not every actor is like that, but quite a lot are.

And D&D may not be the best writers in the world, but they aren't THAT bad. Stannis is too important of a character (and Dillane too respectful of an actor) to just say "fuck this guys ending" and slop it together like they did in this seasons finale. He may not be in season 6, but he will be back at some point.

If Stannis IS dead and we just see Ramsay Bolton wearing Stannis' skin as a cape in season 6 episode 1, I will lose a lot of interest in the show. I really don't want to have to root for Littlefinger, but it might go in that direction :(

Actors are probably as much in the dark about it as the viewers are. If Davos and Melisandre in the show think Stannis is dead then maybe Liam Cunningam and Carice van Houten,as actors, are made to believe Stephen Dillane will not come back. Producers may keep actors in the dark because a lot of times if actors know what is going to happen way before hand it affects their acting. Which is why many actors keep themselves in the dark about their own characters and refuse to read the books because they don't want to know what is going to happen. Not every actor is like that, but quite a lot are.

And D&D may not be the best writers in the world, but they aren't THAT bad. Stannis is too important of a character (and Dillane too respectful of an actor) to just say "fuck this guys ending" and slop it together like they did in this seasons finale. He may not be in season 6, but he will be back at some point.

If Stannis IS dead and we just see Ramsay Bolton wearing Stannis' skin as a cape in season 6 episode 1, I will lose a lot of interest in the show. I really don't want to have to root for Littlefinger, but it might go in that direction :(

What if...... GRRM has Stannis and what men he has left, freeze/starve to death right where they are since they're stuck in no-man's land, awaiting 20k sellswords coming from Braavos. How the hell long is that going to take?

My point is, what if D&D gave Stannis a better death than he's going to get in the books? What if Stannis's book-ending is disappointing?

That depends on whether or not he knows the script for S6. And even if he somehow does (Hasn`t been written yet though) he`s not gonna reveal the cliffhanger HBO just dumped on us. It made sense for Stannis to die when he allegedly did I think, but not in such a lame manner. His death was left hanging deliberately, probably because the script writers didn`t know whether he was supposed to die or go on a redemption/rampage arch. What narrative function he would have isn`t very clear to me. But this is just not how you kill off a main character like Stannis. Being careless with the deaths of Syrio Forel or Sander Clegain I can see; they`re side characters anyway. But not Stannis. It actually matters dramatically whether he`s alive or dead.

Um these are the same guys though Selmy was less important to the plot then Greyworm. So this idea they would keep a character they have made known they hate because he's too big in the books doesn't work

What if...... GRRM has Stannis and what men he has left, freeze/starve to death right where they are since they're stuck in no-man's land, awaiting 20k sellswords coming from Braavos. How the hell long is that going to take?

My point is, what if D&D gave Stannis a better death than he's going to get in the books? What if Stannis's book-ending is disappointing?

" :eek: NOOO!! .. :bang: All that for nothing?! Fuck you George!! ... :frown5: I'm done reading... :crying: I hope Littlefinger fucks over everyone" would be my initial reaction.

But at least GRRM would aknowledge him being dead. D&D didn't have to be gruesome. They didn't have to show his head lop off and roll to the ground..but they could have shown blood spatter on Briennes face when her sword came down on him..or they could have shown blood on her sword like they did with Ned..or even show blood pouring over the snow. Some sort of clarification. But they didn't show a single piece of evidence proving that he is dead..

I don't see what you described as being worse then burning your own daughter, army smashed in minutes, and the person killing you saying "in the name of Renly the rightful king". At least in your GRRM version he died a hero

That's a "bad" ending in terms of the fate of the character obviously but is it a bad ending in terms of an interesting character with strong pathos? not for me.

Not seeing a bit more of the battle was disappointing but really you can't blame the show too much there consider they have limited resouces, its hardly the first battle to happen somewhat off screen is it? he certainly saw more than the whispering wood.

The edit and Brienne obviously finding Stannis somewhat different to expectations does potentially open the door to him being alive and I could see potential in the character if he is but equally if he is dead I felt he got one of the best send offs on the show thus far built towards with excellent drama for much of this season.

As far as Renly goes I think that's pretty clearly played up as Stannis showing some form of repentance, you would expect the character even if he wanted death to mention that Renly was a usurper, that he doesn't to me shows a character questioning his previous actions and motivations and accepting his punishment. Theres a lot more dignity in that ending than there was Ned, Robb, Oberyn etc.

They cared little enough about him to completely butcher his storyline and smash any credibility to his "greatest military commander in Westeros" mythology.

Great military commanders don't:

Not hear 2000 soldiers/horses leaving in the night. Twice.

Walk blindly towards a battle in a group like some West side story gang without sending scouts ahead.

Say lets set up a siege when they have zero resources and an inferior force.

I could go on and on...if it wasn't for Dillanes masterful handling of poor characterization he would have came off as even more of a boob that he did.

They don't care about him, at all. He was a means to their end. IF they bring him back it would be in some ridiculous capacity like Arya's squire.

That depends on whether or not he knows the script for S6. And even if he somehow does (Hasn`t been written yet though) he`s not gonna reveal the cliffhanger HBO just dumped on us. It made sense for Stannis to die when he allegedly did I think, but not in such a lame manner. His death was left hanging deliberately, probably because the script writers didn`t know whether he was supposed to die or go on a redemption/rampage arch. What narrative function he would have isn`t very clear to me. But this is just not how you kill off a main character like Stannis. Being careless with the deaths of Syrio Forel or Sander Clegain I can see; they`re side characters anyway. But not Stannis. It actually matters dramatically whether he`s alive or dead.

Totally agree w/ur opinion.

What makes me ponder is, assuming Stannis is dead, that they haven't shown his death explicitly. Usually they make us of possibilities to show a gory death

The question I have about his death and the dead in his army when Ramsay Bolton (Seriously? This Guy defeated Stannis?) crushed it is they probably won't even bother burning the bodies which means... We could have UnStannis and an army of Wights rise up to break Winterfell. Or... now this is completely out there... He's turned into a White Walker (that's the name for them in the show right?) and he's the white walker we see sitting on the Iron Throne in one of the visions.

I know crazy idea but... it would make for some interesting TV.

Archived