Maybe Stannis is still alive

tseka

Please dont torture us book fans like this, the man is hopefully very, very dead.

Stannis and Brienne going at it has conjured up perhaps the most awkward mental image I've had for a while. Their child would be unstoppable though.

Internet breakage would ensue and cats and dogs would start living together. :P Hmmm, what would you call that? Briannis?

Maybe Brienne of Tarth may rescue him so Sansa can be rescued?

Doubtful, because he is injured so he would probably hold them back from escaping faster. Plus Stannis probably wanted to die realizing he isn't the Lord of Lights champion after all and probably feeling guilt for sacraficing Shireen.

Doubtful, because he is injured so he would probably hold them back from escaping faster. Plus Stannis probably wanted to die realizing he isn't the Lord of Lights champion after all and probably feeling guilt for sacraficing Shireen.

This. And I think Sansa and Theon will probably run into Brienne and Pod and perhaps a fight between some Bolton soldiers(or Ramsay himself) will break out. I can see Sansa, Theon, Brienne and maybe Pod getting to Castle Black.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-snow-really-dead

Weiss noted that when filming a show or movie, the ambiguity of Martin’s final Dance with Dragons chapter

is tougher to pull off—a producer typically has to clearly commit to a character’s fate, one way or the other.

“In a book, you can present that kind of ambiguity,” Weiss said. “In a show, everybody sees it for what it is.

It’s that rule: ‘If don’t see the body then they’re not really dead.’ Like when we cut Ned’s head off, we didn’t

want a gory Monty Python geyser of blood, but we needed to see the blade enter his neck and cut out on

the frame where the blade was mid-neck—it was longest discussion ever of where to cut a frame; two

hours of talking about whether to cut at frame six or frame seven or frame eight. And that’s all by way of

saying we needed Ned’s death to be totally unambiguous. I remember reading the book and going back

and forth, like, ‘Did I miss something? Was [Ned] swapped out for somebody else?’ There’s a level of

ambiguity because you’re not seeing something starkly represented. In the book, you can write around

things to preserve a certain level of mystery that you have to commit to on screen.”

By this definition, we should question Stannis' death until we see a body. I ask a different question, why are there post-season 5 interviews with Kit Harrington, Kerry Ingram and others, but absolutely none with Stephen Dillane (as far as I googled, I found none post-season 5). Why is Stannis' actor quiet? Is he simply so private, or does he have to keep quiet?

Yes, Stannis is alive. The idiot Brienne realizes that killing Stannis wouldn't be fulfilling her oath to Renly but rather avenge him. Then she further realizes that if both sides had fought a war, one brother would have killed the other. Finally she realizes that her true oath was to Catelyn Stark to save the 2 Stark girls and she abandoned her post to save Sansa for her vengeance. And the only way she can get Sansa out of the hands of Boltons (she doesn't know she escaped) is by Stannis taking over Winterfell.

I further hope that she has some honour and don't go and behead an unarmed man who is seriously injured. Thus from the above points mentioned she decides to help Stannis escape, so that she can save Sansa.

The scene where she swung her sword, she was too far from Stannis' head and they never showed his body or the sword hitting his head (not even something similar to Ned Stark's). Best bet is Podrick came in and told her the candle was lit and well, my above points happened. They will show those "extra" scenes in Season 6.

Besides, someone has to save the realm from the White Walkers and Jon Snow is dead, Melisandre mostly doesn't have the power to bring the dead back as there has been no mention of that from her, also the Night's Watch isn't just going to let her revive the guy they just killed. Even if he comes back they will not fight for him as they believe him to be a traitor and the North will not back him either, as he is a b@$*ard not a Stark. Danny and all the others don't even know about the White Walkers yet and Tyrion things them to be myths, thus leaves us only Stannis.

What if...... GRRM has Stannis and what men he has left, freeze/starve to death right where they are since they're stuck in no-man's land, awaiting 20k sellswords coming from Braavos. How the hell long is that going to take?

My point is, what if D&D gave Stannis a better death than he's going to get in the books? What if Stannis's book-ending is disappointing?

Better death! Burning his daughter then marching to Winterfell on foot when his horses were taken by deserters and not using pikes against a charging Bolton Lancers but rather using swords. All these only prove Stannis to be incompetent (in the books he isn't like this at all), stubborn and then being beheaded by a woman who shouldn't even be there. His character was destroyed in the TV series.

Even if Stannis loses the battle of Winterfell, the Boltons aren't taking him alive.

Better death! Burning his daughter then marching to Winterfell on foot when his horses were taken by deserters and not using pikes against a charging Bolton Lancers but rather using swords. All these only prove Stannis to be incompetent (in the books he isn't like this at all), stubborn and then being beheaded by a woman who shouldn't even be there. His character was destroyed in the TV series.

Even if Stannis loses the battle of Winterfell, the Boltons aren't taking him alive.

They show by the end Stannis was completely broken man, as seen in his reaction to Bolton forces advancing. He knew he was toast and burning Shireen was his Hail Mary pass that failed.

Can someone please answer this question:

What was Stannis' purpose in this story so far ?

A) to show that Mel makes mistakes and that he was not AA.

B ) to show that someone who does (blindly) anything to get the throne/power, does end dying.

C) to show that somone who is blinded by being the rightful owner of the throne, does end dying.

D) to show that sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good, even if that means your own dead.

E) to show that he was not destined to be the king of the 7 kingdoms.

F) to show that believing AA gives you not the right to start wars for the sake of getting the throne.

They show by the end Stannis was completely broken man, as seen in his reaction to Bolton forces advancing. He knew he was toast and burning Shireen was his Hail Mary pass that failed.

But he would still have laid the pikes against the horses, it is most common tactics against Lancers. If not him, his commanders would have done that.

B ) to show that someone who does (blindly) anything to get the throne/power, does end dying.

C) to show that somone who is blinded by being the rightful owner of the throne, does end dying.

D) to show that sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good, even if that means your own dead.

F) to show that believing AA gives you not the right to start wars for the sake of getting the throne.

His purpose was to show that Danny is the only good guy and everyone else who can challenge for the throne are bad people. At least that was his purpose in the TV series. Feminism killed the TV show, otherwise Brienne had no business at Winterfell and kill the hound. Feminism makes TV portray women as strong powerful at a time when the society was against women taking part in powerful positions (medieval times) through their superior abilities and sheer will.

I think it worthwhile to mention that Planatos (and Westeros by extension) is a fictional world with VERY loose parallels to our own history. It seems pretty silly to argue that the show is ignoring the realities of medieval society without taking the show to task for also including Dragons.

You think this might be some elaborate feint? That can't be, he risks death too much for it. More likely he didn't care anymore, because Shireen really was killed, but he wasn't because it would not have been honorable and thus fit in with Brienne's code. She's gonna find a way to use Stannis to enter Winterfell and get Sansa...

I think it worthwhile to mention that Planatos (and Westeros by extension) is a fictional world with VERY loose parallels to our own history. It seems pretty silly to argue that the show is ignoring the realities of medieval society without taking the show to task for also including Dragons.

actually no, in the numerous interviews with Martin he's made a point of saying that people in ASOIAF live and react very similar to people in the real middle ages, and magic and dragons are seen as very rare and mythical things.

His purpose is he's an major character in GRRM books so D&D grin and beard his existence in the show until they could get rid of him

If stannis is alive on the show (and I am leaning towards him being alive), they will definitely do a redemption arc with him, since that's the only route left for him. They will probably have him go against melisandre and her religion and he ll probably have a scene or two with brienne or someone else where he expresses his regret for following Mel and burning his daughter. Eventually he ll meet up with Davos and tell him he's sorry for what he's done and from this point on its all for the realm, he might possibly have the cart before the horse line, then stannis, davos, rickon and the northern army take winterfell.

His supposed death at the end of S5 was an attempt to mimmic the pink letter and in combination with jon's death its the typical story arc of the lowest most desperate point before the rise for the climax.

I would say that in the show beyond the fashion he moves the plot for other characters they view the purpose of Stannis as showing that valuing prophecy and the primacy of a lords right to rule over compassion does not bring great results even to a character with more credible aspects to him.

Stag,

I'm sorry.... it sounds very much like you are saying that Dragons and Magic were 'Rare' occurrences in actual history?

No i m saying that in the world of ASOIAF magic and dragons while present are rare things, and so most people in the universe live similar to how they did in the real middle ages.

Stag,

Well there is the fact that Planatos seems to be on an unstable orbit, or the political realities. Keep in mind that Matriarchal societies weren't all that uncommon in our history. An argument could be made that women as second class citizens was just one of the many 'blessings' that religion granted us. Seeing that religions in ASOIAF are different than the religions we had in the middle ages and all the other DRASTIC differences I've sighted, AND then add in our own real life historical stories of strong warrior women 'See Amazons' 'See Joan of Arc' I find your protestation that 'Feminism' has ruined ASOIAF pretty silly.

Archived