Do your duty.... Or don't? (BOOK & TV SPOILERS)

So, Brienne in this episode supposedly killed Stannis with Oathkeeper... or did she?

See, one thing this show never does, is kill characters off-screen, unless they lack the budget or time. In this case, they lacked neither... So, could our beloved One True King (who burned his daughter at the stake) have been spared by Brienne in order to complete her goal in saving Sansa Stark? I mean think about, unless they assassinated Brienne's character too, she wouldn't have left Sansa alone to fend for herself, and completely given up her holy oath, for her own hunger for vengeance. Plus, Stannis tells her to "do her duty" and her duty is: save Sansa Stark. So, could she have let him live, in order to help her save her?

What do you guys think? This whole off screen death perplexes me. They never do that. Especially for a major character like Stannis Baratheon.

He lives, she stays her hand when she sees Sansa jump.

The book never kills people offscreen.

Something like this. If Stannis was dead they would not have missed the opportunity to show a bloody beheading.

Something like this. If Stannis was dead they would not have missed the opportunity to show a bloody beheading.

I think they avoided showing his death because they wanted to give the character some respect. It wasn't an appropriate time for gratuitous violence.

Davos lived which means he is stili available to be sent on a mission to find Rickon. Since Wyman Manderly is AWOL who could possibly be available next season to send Davos on such a mission?

Lady Sansa and Lord Theon of course

I think they avoided showing his death because they wanted to give the character some respect. It wasn't an appropriate time for gratuitous violence.

Since when does D&D and HBO avoid gratuitous violence?

Archived