Do your duty.... Or don't? (BOOK & TV SPOILERS)

If he's alive, he's not long for the world, unless he takes the black or something, just a thought maybe, Brienne doesn't kill him, he somehow gets back to the wall....he has the Kingsblood, he willingly sacrifices himself because Mel tells him Jon is really AAR.

Or he's just dead

At least he got a good last line

The Mother's Mercy...

I'd like to point out that injuring Stannis before getting executed by Brienne serves little purpose, besides making him even more vulnerable. He was already struggeling to walk before he got attacked by the two Boltons who sliced him in the leg.

If he was truly dead, I think they'd have had him fight Brienne before getting executed by her. I feel like the title of the episode served multiple purposes, as usual, and suggested that Stannis gets mercy.

I think the Brienne & Stannis situation is similar to the Cat & Jaime situation in the second book. It seems like Cat/Brienne killed Jaime/Stannis, but that's not what really happened.

ever so slightly what I was thinking.

Also, his do your duty thing vexed her, I think . It was not at all what she was expecting. As a knightly knight, is it the thing to do to slay a wounded , unarmed man laying on the ground ?

Let's say Brienne did not kill him... what's the point of keeping him alive now? He's lost everything. And by everything I mean Every. Thing.

Nothing mre dangerous than a man with nothing to lose. Plus there is half his army and the storm crows wandering round in the forest looking for a cause.

Ok, lets assume that Brienne let him live. What has he got left to achieve with no army, no men, no Mel, no Davos, no family...? I'd like to believe that he is alive because in my mind there is 0 chance that he doesn't win that battle in the books, but there appears to be little reason to keep him around on the show with nothing and noone to fight for.

Wildlings could pledge their allegiance to him in return for land + Houses loyal to the Starks could be swayed to his house now that Sansa is freed from the Boltons.

It surely is interesting that they didn't show Stannis dying, but certainly what more could be in store for him?

It is so true to Stannis' character that his last words are "do your duty" and I love that fact about him. He would have been a good King.

This reminds me of the scene where Syrio dies. We were all speculating he actually isn't dead, back then, because we didn't actually see him die ... Some still do. :D

The Balon thing is so funny. I mean, I've not seen one person actually suggest that it's a sign of anything. It's just like a glaring, embarrassing oversight by D&D.

The Balon thing is so funny. I mean, I've not seen one person actually suggest that it's a sign of anything. It's just like a glaring, embarrassing oversight by D&D.

It is silly but I think it's just because they want Euron to appear in the same episode Balon dies, so they're waiting until next year when they will have cast an actor for the role.

I think Stannis is alive for no other reason than having lost everything. His family, men, honor, sanity(?), faith. Everything. Hell, if Theon still lives....

I always thought by the shear grandeur of his musical theme, Warrioir of Light" he was destined for great things. Not king. the Warrior of Light.

I don't get it either, unless they have something planned there but ehh. They didn't even need the actor to rectify that whole situation. Just one of the characters reading a raven scroll and being like "Oh hey Balon Greyjoy dropped dead"

Since Euron/Victarion is in next season, seems a more appropriate time to mention or show Balon being pushed off a bridge by an FM.

Just thought of a good reason for Stannis to be alive. Needs to help pay off his debt to the Iron Bank so IB doesn't lay claim to ownership of Dragonstone, Storms End and the Stormlands.

Archived