Daenerys' dropped ring

a free shadow

On the bright side... if they tracked her there, if they understood that the horse must be Dothraki, if they interpreted the apparent circling to mean the center was something notable and if they find her ring in the center... they could reasonably conclude that she survived the dragon ride and was found or maybe captured by Dothraki. On the bright side, her ring was sizable and might be easier to find for that reason.

On the realistic side, that's a lot of ifs and that's a lot of foresight required on her part to think it through, decide it's worth a shot and drop the ring.

Yeah upon watching it I thought it was a case of Dany recognising that the situation could be worse if the Dothraki knew that she had remarried.

So it's actually a case of 'not idly do the rings of Queens fall'?

Ah of course, the show isn't the books and we never saw them marry.

What was the ring? An engagement ring?

I suppose, if they married, they did in the same way everything happens in the show: off screen.

The ring, was, well, an ornament or something? :dunno: Do they even use rings as proof of marriage?

Did she marry????

If they did, the never showed it but the showrunners (as if their words are worth anything anymore) said there would be 3 weddings this year. We definitively got 2 but this was supposed to be the 3rd. Never saw it, must have happened off camera.

Pretty simple. They hear rumors that a dragon flew "that way" from some travelers. They see Drogon's unmistakable footprints. They see human feet near them. They follow and see a bunch of horse prints. In the middle they find the ring. Pretty easy to determine that there was a Dothraki khalassar and they should follow that.

I think y'all are reading too much into this and what D&D said. D&D also said Jon Snow is dead.

I personally don't think the ring means anything. I don't think Jorah or Daario ever find her and I'm pretty sure Jorah kills Daario before their bromance ever gets going.

Jorah will find it, lick it and then figure out which direction she went in some Sherlock Holmes-esque scene of numbers and map lines.

Or he'll turn Gollum after strangling Daario for the ring, rubbing it at night going "My precious...JORAH...JORAH."

Haha him doin that would be so funny I can picture it now

It's clearly a clue for the Super Daario Brothers to find. Daario will spend a good chunk of an episode explaining how after beng a slave and a pit fighter, he then went on to become a ranger and learned to track animals before he became the captain of a sell sword company (he can probably play an instrument too).

Hundreds of horses running in circles in the grass leaves some marks, you know...

And it's funny that so many of you are already BITCHING about the ring as if Jorah had already easily found it... Remember how some of you bitched about the candle for the same reason? And yet, nothing happened as you expected. Can't you just wait?

Ah, you mean don't complain about the plot holes in the episodes that haven't been made yet?

How does the ring prove she isn't dead?

It doesn't, it just proves she was alive when she encountered the Dothraki - which could spur them on to keep searching.

And how can they follow Drogon, when he literally flies off all over the place in show-canon? A few episodes ago he was chilling in Valyria, so how is Jorah going to know which way to go?

Ask people if they've seen a medium sized black dragon. Tyrion said it flew north, so ask people in the north first, I guess.

The books actually have the characters reflecting on how it would be impossible to track Drogon. Yes, there will be signs of where he's hunted, but because he flies there shouldn't be any way to track his movements.

No, you can't track a dragon's physical path - that would be like trying to track a plane without a radar. But you can ask if anyone has seen a dragon, confirm direction, and keep searching in that direction. Drogon would have to land sometimes, especially being injured with the extra weight of Dany on his back and he'll probably leave marks when he lands.

Oh, that's another thing - Drogon may have been dripping a blood trail, from where the spears got him.

Daario and Jorah managing to find his lair would already be a huge contrivance, but finding Dany's ring and somehow knowing what that means would be even more illogical.

Who knows? We have no idea how it's going to resolve in book or shows. Dany might still bend the show Kalisar to her will, with Drogon's help, and march them back towards Jorah and Daario - the show seems to be trying everything to keep making Dany an obvious WIP, so I don't think they'll have her rescued by her knight and lover.

On the bright side... if they tracked her there, if they understood that the horse must be Dothraki, if they interpreted the apparent circling to mean the center was something notable and if they find her ring in the center... they could reasonably conclude that she survived the dragon ride and was found or maybe captured by Dothraki. On the bright side, her ring was sizable and might be easier to find for that reason.

On the realistic side, that's a lot of ifs and that's a lot of foresight required on her part to think it through, decide it's worth a shot and drop the ring.

The ring's not only sizeable, it also glimmers. You know how you can see the glimmer of tiny things really brightly from a long distance if they catch the light just right? That could happen.

In the books, her droppings in the Dothraki Sea were grossly messier.

Can you imagine in the next book, Daario riding out, finding her messy droppings, and going "*sniff sniff* Yup, that's her."

In the books, her droppings in the Dothraki Sea were grossly messier.

That's what I was getting at earlier in the thread, with dropping something else from a different type of ring/

I wonder if they did that in show, how viewers would have taken it? Sometimes I wonder if GRRM wrote it just to see if they would put it on screen - that's been answered, at least :D I also wonder if GRRM devised Tyrion's ADWD arc to see if the show would go there - also answered, in triplicate, with Saint Tyrion from the show.

Archived