Philip K. Dick

Eldric Storm

Surprised no one has said Ubik yet. PKD wrote it all at once on crazy uppers. You'd think it'd be terrible, but it is actually pretty mindblowing. I wrote some essays on it for a philosophy course in college once. It's one of his real reality questioning books. If you're up for real beyond-Matrix level solipsism, go for it.

I also second what everyone has said about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Very diferent from Bladerunner, but both great in their own ways.

Surprised no one has said Ubik yet. PKD wrote it all at once on crazy uppers. You'd think it'd be terrible, but it is actually pretty mindblowing. I wrote some essays on it for a philosophy course in college once. It's one of his real reality questioning books. If you're up for real beyond-Matrix level solipsism, go for it.

I also second what everyone has said about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Very diferent from Bladerunner, but both great in their own ways.

Ubik is still on my to-read-pile, but I'll probably be picking it up once I finish my latest 'academic' reading.

I discovered some of my dad's old PKD paperbacks when I was in elementary school and middle school. I think that had as much to do with how I turned out as discovering bands like The Grateful Dead and Frank Zappa did when I was high school. He had a couple that I don't see talked about as much but I really remember enjoying, notably Vulcan's Hammer, The World Jones Made, and Eye in the Sky. I've read a ton of PKD since then, even at his worst he manages to be at least interesting.

• 1 month later...

I am writing an Alternative Universe novel, and trying to explain it to my father, but he couldn't seem to distinguish it from Isaac Asimov (whom he read as a young man) and when I explained it he didn't think it would sell very well.

So is Man in a High Castle a good place to start?

Gotta get The Penultimate Truth, hardbody. I put literally everything off.

Also, one of the main differences I found between Blade and Androids.was that weird religion the book has. Also the purchasing of real biological animals was like buying vehicles.

Also, one of the main differences I found between Blade and Androids.was that weird religion the book has. Also the purchasing of real biological animals was like buying vehicles.

The religious weirdness certainly isn't in the film, but there's certainly references to the replacement of a decimated natural fauna by replicant animals in the film, e.g. the replicant boa scale Decker uses to help find Zora, and the replicant owl in the Tyrell Corporation office.

Archived