11 Reasons to Read the Books

Westeros

With season 5 completed (see our episode guide on the final episode for some of our thoughts), there’s a lot of discussion about what the show did right or wrong this season, interviews with various members of cast and crew, and more. But Random House—publishers, through their subsidiary Bantam, of all things A Song of Ice and Fire—asked us to provide a list of 11 reasons why fans of the show might want to give the books a try if they haven’t already!

You can find the article here.

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Number 5 is the biggest one for me. Everyone who has o it watched the shows are losing it because they see Jon Snow dead and can't see any other way than him remaining dead.

Through dreams, prophecies, and the foreshadowing they present, the book readers are quite confident that he will live again.

Reading the source material is respectable to the author. As a writer, I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be if people watched the film adaptation of my literature without reading said literature first. :)

This was great, thanks Ran :) I really enjoyed it and will share it with shownly friends of mine.

Can anyone tell me the source of the Daenerys picture? I know it's by Magali Villeneuve, but I can't find it online anywhere except for in this article.

I'm reading the books now, and it just amazes me the way GRRM portray his characters. I think the actors are great, but many details get lost! Anyway, I'm enjoying the books. :bowdown:

This was an amazing article. One of the few that doesn't go all snobby but doesn't also become a diehard defender of the show and just tells things how they are. Great layout too.

This is the kind of thing I can share with people respectfully and not be called a 'butthurt bookfag.'

Per #1 - It was REALLY obvious watching just the show WHY Jon was stabbed--because of the politics of what was going on with the Night's Watch and the Wildlings. An Unsullied co-worker of mine saw that completely. Olly was just an easy way to see that the other Night's Watch (especially Thorne) was using his pain to get him to go along wih it. Anyone who isn't clearly anti-show would obviously see that the show made it clear that the stabbing of Jon Snow was ALL about the politics and had NOTHING to do with an orphan boy just as it was clear in the books. Everything that Elio described as being portrayed in the books, my Unsullied co-worker pretty much described as she thought as to why Jon was stabbed.

While I agree that the books are brilliant, it would have been nice to see a write-up endorsing that people buy the books with an acknowledgement that they are two different mediums and thus offer two different ways of enjoying this wonderful world that GRRM has created. GOT is wonderful, so is ASOIAF. One doesn't have to drag the books as these 11 reasons subtly (and not so subtly) do in order to praise GRRM's brilliance. I fear that in doing so, it will have turned some show-lovers away from going near the books out of solidarity to the show, because, yes, there are show purists out there too now and I wish no one would deny themselves the joy of GRMM's work. But by damning the show in order to praise ASOIAF, this may send some potential readers from ever going near the books.

Although I really still like the show, I like the points 7,8 and 9 on the list. Especially the tons of missing characters (among them favorites of mine like Rodrick Harlaw, Lord Manderly and Arianne). The Dorne and the North storylines could be handeled better, but maybe we will see some more in the next season. A book is nearly always better than a movie or a show and that list gave an explanation for that: the authors and the readers imagination has no budget limits. So I enjoy both stories as their own. In most cases, I like the casting very much, some characters look different from what I have imagined them in the show, but they do work for me nontheless - Hotah and Cersei are such characters

While I agree that the books are brilliant, it would have been nice to see a write-up endorsing that people buy the books with an acknowledgement that they are two different mediums and thus offer two different ways of enjoying this wonderful world that GRRM has created. GOT is wonderful, so is ASOIAF. One doesn't have to drag the books as these 12 reasons subtly (and not so subtly) do in order to praise GRRM's brilliance. I fear that in so doing so, it will have turned some show-lovers away from going near the books out of solidarity to the show, because, yes, there are show purists out there too now and I wish no one would deny themselves the joy of GRMM's work. But by damning the show in order to praise ASOIAF, this may send some potential readers from ever going near the books.

:agree:

The show got me to read the five books.

I have been entertained by both the show and the novels in different ways.

Yes, me too. In very, very different ways. I'm being incredibly entertained by reading blogs, rants and parodies of season 5. It's really fun when you see it as a hilarious crackfic.

Yes, me too. In very, very different ways. I'm being incredibly entertained by reading blogs, rants and parodies of season 5. It's really fun when you see it as a hilarious crackfic.

Yeah, showDorne is certainly entertaining, in its own way.

Read the five books and can't understand either. No offense, but i'd like to know why, you got me all curious !

Edit : Yay, first post !

None taken, and welcome to the forum.

Finding humour in the bleakest of moments yet remaining unfailingly dutiful is something that I feel embodies the human spirit. Edd is the humanistic embodiment of the bleak predicament of the decent factions of the Night's Watch.

And he is hilarious! Some of his quotes had me laughing weeks after reading them.

Archived