R+L=J v.145

aDanceWithFlagons

That kind of attitude seems immensely weird to me particularly when you come across lines like,

The things I do for love.

Love is the bane of honour, the death of duty.

We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Only Cat.

These are only a few lines. They hint at the depth and complexity and even the dysfunctional elements of the issue of romantic love particularly when it encompasses whole populations within the grip of its consequences.

Even the author is one of the most ardent fans of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast!

I was always intensely Romantic, even when I was too young to understand what that meant. But Romanticism has its dark side, as any Romantic soon discovers... which is where the melancholy comes in, I suppose. - Martin

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/intgrrm.htm

Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna, and thousands died for it. - ADWD, Selmy

The first is attempted child murder. The last is outright murder. Not quite romantic.

Jaime did it for lurve!! There are all sorts of hidden romantic innuendos in the books, you just need to know how to read between the lines. Look at Sansa and the Hound. JonCon and Rhaegar. Renly and Loras.

Perhaps not with 100% certainty, but her holding the roses even on her deathbed speaks volumes. Also, Dany's daydreaming about Daario coming to rescue her from the marriage to Hizdahr also implies an abductee reciprocating the feelings.

The roses are a hint, yes. But even if we go with the "Lyanna in tower" scenario--can't see why other roses couldn't have been carted out with food, supplies, books, whatever needed to combat severe cabin fever. My point--the roses aren't just tied to Rhaegar, but to Ned's memories of Lya's loving them, with or without Rhaegar. They are a hint, yes. Not a speech.

But I agree on the abductee's possibly reciprocating feelings--though it's not my favorite trope. Lots of that in lots of stories--it is possible. Though Dany's daydream scenario is different from the very few facts we have on Lyanna's--it's a daydream, for one. We just don't have that trope clearly tied to Lyanna yet in the text.

The roses are a hint, yes. But even if we go with the "Lyanna in tower" scenario--can't see why other roses couldn't have been carted out with food, supplies, books, whatever needed to combat severe cabin fever. My point--the roses aren't just tied to Rhaegar, but to Ned's memories of Lya's loving them, with or without Rhaegar. They are a hint, yes. Not a speech.

But I agree on the abductee's possibly reciprocating feelings--though it's not my favorite trope. Lots of that in lots of stories--it is possible. Though Dany's daydream scenario is different from the very few facts we have on Lyanna's--it's a daydream, for one. We just don't have that trope clearly tied to Lyanna yet in the text.

Don't know where the roses came from. Maybe Lyanna died in the Reach. :)

"Dont believe the florist when he tells you that the roses are free."

Don't know where the roses came from. Maybe Lyanna died in the Reach. :)

"Dont believe the florist when he tells you that the roses are free."

Am now thinking of the old joke re: psych tests and florists. Forget whether the roses are free or not--this whole story just got even darker. Didn't think that was possible.

Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna, and thousands died for it. - ADWD, Selmy

Ned Stark reached out his hand to grasp the flowery crown, but beneath the pale blue petals the thorns lay hidden. He felt them clawing at his skin, sharp and cruel, saw the slow trickle of blood run down his fingers, and woke, trembling, in the dark.

And what do we have right below a romance turned dark?

Promise me, Ned, his sister had whispered from her bed of blood. She had loved the scent of winter roses.

Archived