Casting Call Speculation - Possible spoilers

Garth Greenhands

The link is to the leaked casting call for season 6. We've probably all already seen it. Though it is more vague than previous years, it is still easy to pick some of the characters out.

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-6-casting-has-begun-and-heres-the-list/

My question, though, is about the child actors. A 7 year old Northern child with green eyes. Possibly a young flashback Ned, which could fit with the older child being Brandon.

I've also heard it speculated that the child could be littlefinger, though I doubt this. He never spent much time around a Weirwood and doesn't have a Northern accent.

Also, the other boy listed, a large boy who looks older than he is, could maybe be Robert and be from the same scene as Ned and Brandon. I know, this is all kind of weird, but they could have Brandon being fostered at the Eyrie with NedBert in the show just to introduce Brandon. It makes no sense, why would they send the heir away to be fostered, but the show does what the show wants.

Anyway, any ideas?

I was thinking the Large boy could also be Dunk if not for the charismatic part. In reality their descriptions are too vague for good guesses, IMO.

For the other ones I posted a tidbit earlier, but I could see-

Priest: Elder Brother.. I guess could be Marwyn or Meribald but I doubt them

Fierce Warrior: Darkstar or perhaps a tattered prince Mereen type character

Priestess: Sounds like Lemore but I can't figure how why or where she fits in the series

Leading Actress: I'm really hoping this is Arianne in disguise but that's crackpot. Im honestly just hoping this one isn't made up

So here's a recap of every known character reportedly being cast:

A pirate: man in his 40’s to late 50’s. He’s an infamous pirate who has terrorized seas all around the world. Cunning, ruthless, with a touch of madness. He’s a dangerous-looking man. A very good part this season. Fits the description of Euron Greyjoy, the "Crow's Eye".

A father: Aged 50’s to 60’s, he’s one of the greatest soldiers in Westeros- a humorless martinet, severe and intimidating. He demands martial discipline in the field and in his home. It’s described as “a very good part” for next year and that he’s “centrally involved” in a protagonist’s storyline. Fits the description of Lord Randyll Tarly, the Lord of Horn Hill.

A mother: She’s a sweet, plump, and adoring mother, and has a soft spot for one of her children who benefits from her decency. Fits the description of Lady Melessa Tarly.

A sister: She’s a kind, friendly and unpretentious woman. Fits the description of Talla Tarly.

A brother: Athletic, a good hunter, an excellent swordsman, manly, not particularly bright but the favourite child of the father. Fits the description of Dickon Tarly.

A priest: A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles. Fits the description of Septon Meribald.

A leading actress with a traveling theater troupe: In her early 40’s, she’s an elegant actress with a traveling theatre company. Fun, charismatic, rum-drinking actress in the troupe.

A priestess: Mid-20’s to early 30’s. Any ethnicity- she’s beautiful, intense, and magnetic.

A fierce warrior: A tall man in 30’s or 40’s with a powerful physique. They’re looking for someone with “mixed ethnicity” for the role. Fits the description of a Dothraki Khal, presumably Khal Jhaqo.

A large boy: With an actor who is 10-12 but playing 7 or 8. He’s described as “a clever boy” who seems too large for his age. He’s big and tall but not fat. “Characterful squat features” are a plus for this part. it’s specified that this is a one-time appearance.

A 12 year old boy: With brown hair and blue eyes. He needs to use a Northern accent. He has scenes where he has to spar with a wooden sword.

The length of the role isn’t specified.

A 7 year old boy: with dark brown hair, a narrow face and green eyes. He also has a Northern accent. He also spars with the wooden sword, so it’s safe to assume it’s the same scene. This role is similarly open-ended, the description only stating that the character is being ‘introduced.’

A Child of the Forest

Qhogo and Akrat, two Dothraki. They’re seeking mixed ethnicity or other non-white actors for the roles. The successful young warriors need to be tall, confident, with swagger and linguistic bravado. It’s noted that the actors will have to speak in a fictional language.

Bower, a servant: He is a powerless servant, numb to the horror he serves. He’s filming around one of the days that below “outlaw band” members are so he may be connected to them. He is required to have a Northern or Midland English accent and appears in one episode

Lachlan, an outlaw leader: He’s the big leader of a group of renegades who have turned on the land that they swore to protect. They’re now extorting the poor and vulnerable. He appears in 2 episodes in season 6.

Flynn: He’s part of an outlaw band. The group is using religion to justify terrorizing and extorting what they need from the people of the countryside. He appears in 2 episodes in season 6. He appears to be part of Lachlan’s band.

Japeth, an outlaw:Another member of the outlaw band is this lieutenant. He’s a “rough-and-ready type” with a strong physical presence, also appearing two episodes.

Several members of an "outlaw band" of "broken men" raiding the people they once swore to protect - loosely matching the description of raiders and bandits in the Riverlands subplot.

A legendary fighter: A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a famous sword. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role- the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles. It is speculated this may be Ser Arthur Dayne. Dayne died in Robert's Rebellion, but several other castings indicate flashback scenes may appear in Season 6.

A Lord of a Noble Northern House who fits the description of a member of House Umber: The lord is a savage warrior, and he rules a distinguished house in the very far North, and the role is said to be an impactful one. He’s described as a massive bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, and hatred that run deep, and he can be violent. The show’s looking for someone with a powerful physique who can tower over other cast members, a Northern English Accent and specifies he has to be at least 180 cm tall. The role will be on 2 episodes.

A Lord of a Noble Northern Stronghold: The show’s looking for an actor in his late thirties or forties to play another lord, one that’s ruthless and calculating. The frightening lord rules a vassal household with a castle stronghold. He’ll be in 3 episodes this year, with 20 days of filming this summer and fall.

A hunter: He’s a rough army officer on the hunt appearing in an action scene with main cast, in one episod

A submissive maester: The show’s casting a maester in his twenties- a timid young maester. He’s decent but has trouble standing up to others. He appears in one episode in season 6.

A green recruit: A young man with one line and one day of filming in August.

A sympathiser (1).

A sympathiser (2).

A sympathiser (3). These are rough military types, with a day of filming.

A housemaid. She’s the motherly nanny (with a tight whip) to a large household. The show wants an actress between the ages of 45-65 with a Northern English Accent. She’ll be in 2 episode

A father: He’s tough and old, an alpha male patriarch. The show is looking for a man with a Northern English Accent. He appears in one episode and has 2 lines.

I am thinking about the "Legendary fighter" and the possibility of Arthur Dayne/Tower of Joy flashblack...

I would love that, but, if that is the case, we would need also Rhaegar and Lyanna? Or maybe they are being cast... and we just don't know yet.

Another possibilities could be that this legendary fighter is Rhaegar himself? Aemon Dragonkight in a Daenerys vision with Dark Sister sword? Azor Ahai with Lightbringer? Daemon Blackfire (although I don't see the point of showing him in the history yet)?

If has already been established in the show that Rhaegar was not really a fighter a all, but a musical type - by Sir Barristan. I don't see how Aemon the Dragonknight would be relevant. After Arthur Dayne I see only Azor Ahai as the real possibility - but I don't know why we would need to see him at all.

If this is going to be a (partial?) ToJ flashback, (and the first seems to be a no-brainer for Arthur Dayne) then the second might be an umber (D&D could make an Umber show up at the ToJ if they want to) but if we're sticking to the novels it might also describe Theo Wull. The third would have to be Howland Reed... though they almost seem to be describing a villain don't they? As the sole surviving witness of the events of the Tower, he could be in both the flashback and in the present. He might be the one telling the story.

If I back off the ToJ speculation, the third could be Wyman Manderly. I'm a bit surprised the casting call doesn't specify his (ahem) body-type, but then I suppose there's always a fatsuit.

I don't think that sounds like Howland Reed at all. We know he was short and slight. Not having that detail would ruin many plot hints and other threads. He is already established as Meera & Jojen's father. Much more likely a Karstark, lord Cerwyn (whose parents were flayed by Ramsey) or a composite Manderly/Glover/Ryswell etc.

I don't think that sounds like Howland Reed at all. We know he was short and slight. Not having that detail would ruin many plot hints and other threads. He is already established as Meera & Jojen's father. Much more likely a Karstark, lord Cerwyn (whose parents were flayed by Ramsey) or a composite Manderly/Glover/Ryswell etc.

The third role in the quote up there doesn't mention height or build at all, just that he's ruthless, calculating, and frightening. We've never met Howland in the novels: we have no idea how pleasant he is. He might be a scary, creepy sonofabitch.

The fact that he'll be in three episodes indicates that he's someone with some importance. I am placing my money on Manderly, for the record, but I've got a little side bet on Howland as well.

Euron Greyjoy, Randyll Tarly, Dickon Tarly, Melessa Florent, Young Ned Stark, Brandon Stark Senior, Young Robert Baratheon, Ser Arthur Dayne, Greatjon Umber, Septon Meribald (some form of him anyway) are all but confirmed for me judging by these casting calls.

I really want to see Lord Wyman Manderly, but I just don't know. I do however think that we will be seeing Howland Reed eventually on the show with the reintroduction of Bran next season. i think D&D realized that they hadn't built up the northern lords who are loyal to House Stark properly so they're rushing it in season 6. Stupid morons (still love the show)

The introduction of Ser Arthur Dayne probably means that we will see the Tower of Joy. Which means Jon's parentage will be revealed either through Bran or a flasback where Howland Reed tells Jon or Sansa what happened in Dorne.

I'm actually surprised that they haven't cast Lyanna or Rhaegar yet. Not even a young Lyanna fighting against Benjen? You need an actress who resembles Kit Harington in order to convincingly suggest that she is his mother. Because some idiots are still confused over the black of hair thing.

The point is that they did NOT mention physique, which is important for Howland Reed. My bet is on a composite, maybe with a new name, but they may keep the Manderly name.

The show didn't even bring up crannogman. Thomas and Ellie aren't particularly short.

I find the CotF role intriguing.

the show is looking for a young woman approximately 18-22 years old of any ethnicity to play an “impactful role” in season 6. It’s noted that the part requires a lot of days filming between Oct. 14th and Dec. 7th.

Here’s where the role gets very specific: the actress needs to be very short – about 5 feet tall or shorter. They’re asking for “striking facial features,” eyes that are far apart if possible, and someone with a “child-like physique.” They need someone who is charismatic and has the ability to handle action scenes as well.

"Impactful role." "... a lot of days filming" (during winter?) "...handle action scenes well"

That doesn't sound like anything happening in the cave. To me it sounds like Bran and Co are heading south, and Leaf is coming with them.

Also, the other boy listed, a large boy who looks older than he is, could maybe be Robert and be from the same scene as Ned and Brandon. I know, this is all kind of weird, but they could have Brandon being fostered at the Eyrie with NedBert in the show just to introduce Brandon. It makes no sense, why would they send the heir away to be fostered, but the show does what the show wants.

Anyway, any ideas?

This description could fit a young Hodor. Maybe we finally get to see what happend to make him the way he is now?

If has already been established in the show that Rhaegar was not really a fighter a all, but a musical type - by Sir Barristan. I don't see how Aemon the Dragonknight would be relevant. After Arthur Dayne I see only Azor Ahai as the real possibility - but I don't know why we would need to see him at all.

From the show, we know only three things about Rhaegar:

1. He was killed on the field of battle by Robert

2. He had a habit of going into the streets and playing music

3. He abducted/eloped with Lyanna after presenting her with his favor at the tourney.

Two of those things suggest he atleast new how to don armor and swing a sword. Admittedly, nothing suggests he was a good fighter.

The "legendary fighter with a famous sword" can really only be Arthur Dayne if we assume the writers are going to abstract information from the novels. Another part of me wonders if they might try to introduce someone from the Golden Company carrying Blackfyre, maybe give him a biography that includes being an ex-Kingsguard for Aerys II.

I am thinking about the "Legendary fighter" and the possibility of Arthur Dayne/Tower of Joy flashblack...

I would love that, but, if that is the case, we would need also Rhaegar and Lyanna? Or maybe they are being cast... and we just don't know yet.

Another possibilities could be that this legendary fighter is Rhaegar himself? Aemon Dragonkight in a Daenerys vision with Dark Sister sword? Azor Ahai with Lightbringer? Daemon Blackfire (although I don't see the point of showing him in the history yet)?

Lyanna is played by maisie Williams rhaegar is played by harry loyd

I agree with you here. Arthur Dayne seems to make the most sense but I'm not sure what context we will wee him in. Considering the Swordsmen that we have met already (Barristan, Jamie with two hands, Bronn to name a few) I don't know of anyone else that could fit the casting description. For it to be the TOJ though we are missing some other KG. Has anyone seen anything that might fit casting for Whent and the White Bull?

Archived