Questions about Mance Rayder

Ser Jennings

Please answer the following questions:

- If the wildlings are free folk, why is there a ruler among them? (Mance Rayder)

- What motivated Mance to give up the Night's Watch and join the free folk?

- Why did the wildlings take Mance as their leader?

They chose Mance, he did not inherit the title, and they are free to follow him or not, he did not kill Crastor for not following him.

Mance was injured north of the wall and was healed by a wildling. She patched up his cloak with red silk from Ashai, the most valuable thing she owned. When Mance got back to the Shadow Tower they made him give up the cloak because it wasn't all black anymore, that's the reason he gives to Jon anyway, it might be more altruistic ie the desire to save the wildlings and the realm.

Mance is charismatic, and convinced them all that the threat of the Others was worse than anything they had ever faced and that if they did not band together and get south of the wall they would all die. There were 5 men trying to become King when Mance started his own quest, he killed 3 and beat the Magnar of Thenn in a fight 3 times to get him to subdue. Tormund is not really a fighter and Mance figured that out and probably called him on it in private.

Please answer the following questions:

- If the wildlings are free folk, why is there a ruler among them? (Mance Rayder)

- What motivated Mance to give up the Night's Watch and join the free folk?

- Why did the wildlings take Mance as their leader?

I pretty much take Mance at face value as far as what he and others say about his background, but considering Halfhand/Jon, I can't say I never considered that there was a NW angle behind his desertion.

They chose Mance, he did not inherit the title, and they are free to follow him or not, he did not kill Crastor for not following him.

Mance was injured north of the wall and was healed by a wildling. She patched up his cloak with red silk from Ashai, the most valuable thing she owned. When Mance got back to the Shadow Tower they made him give up the cloak because it wasn't all black anymore, that's the reason he gives to Jon anyway, it might be more altruistic ie the desire to save the wildlings and the realm.

Mance is charismatic, and convinced them all that the threat of the Others was worse than anything they had ever faced and that if they did not band together and get south of the wall they would all die. There were 5 men trying to become King when Mance started his own quest, he killed 3 and beat the Magnar of Thenn in a fight 3 times to get him to subdue. Tormund is not really a fighter and Mance figured that out and probably called him on it in private.

Straight up.

I am wondering if Mance is bisexual or if his gay prostitution when disguised as Able was simply proof of how dedicated he was to his mission.

Uh....No?

I don't know where it came from or where it's going but don't hijack the OP's thread.

• 6 months later...

I don't have the quote in front of me, but there was a part where Mance (as Abel) offers himself to a male character, and it's implied that both him and the "washerwomen" are acting as prostitutes in Winterfell.

Do you happen to remember where that's said?  I've read lots of fan stuff about bards being well like Marillion and acting all kept man, but I don't recall anything about Abel/Mance pulling this.   I'm pretty sure the only male I remember Abel talking to is Theon and what would the point be of that?   

Do you happen to remember where that's said?  I've read lots of fan stuff about bards being well like Marillion and acting all kept man, but I don't recall anything about Abel/Mance pulling this.   I'm pretty sure the only male I remember Abel talking to is Theon and what would the point be of that?   

i had remembered it wrong, Holly offered Abel to Theon if she wwasn't his type.  The Winterfell Huis Clos has some interesting thoughts about how they are using prostitution to obtain information from the lords at Winterfell.

Holly toyed with a strand of her hair, coiling it around her little finger. “Deep and dark, they say. A good place for touching. All the dead kings watching.”
“Did Abel send you to me?”
“Might be. Might be I sent myself. But if it’s Abel you’re wanting, I could bring him. He’ll sing m’lord a sweet song.”

Mance had good military training which would have included tactics and strategy for organising a large fighting force. He would have some leadership experience from the NW.

The wildlings are very capable warriors in small bands but they are not an army. They need to organise as an effecient army in order to either fight The Others / White Walkers / Wights etc or to flee south and get past the wall.

If the wildlings weren't threatened by the rise of The Others they would never have come together and followed Mance.

i had remembered it wrong, Holly offered Abel to Theon if she wwasn't his type.  The Winterfell Huis Clos has some interesting thoughts about how they are using prostitution to obtain information from the lords at Winterfell.

And here I thought Abel would just sing a song for Theon...

And here I thought Abel would just sing a song for Theon...

i don't think she was being literal.  :)

Even if Mance is nnot bisexual, it makes pretty good sense. He is going on an extremely dangerous mission where there is a very real chance he could be flayed alive.  I can't imagine someone being brave enough to take those risks but drawing the line as to what he will do to succeed at having sex with men. If bards are expected to be willing to do such a thing I don't think he would risk his cover by refusing, and if he felt he could obtain some vital information by seducing a man, of course he would.  No good leader would ask his followers to do something he wouldn't, and we have no textual evidence that Mance is homophobic or that this is seen as some grave sin in wildling culture.

Archived