More season 6 casting rumors

GtrGbln

So here's a recap of every known character reportedly being cast:

A pirate: man in his 40’s to late 50’s. He’s an infamous pirate who has terrorized seas all around the world. Cunning, ruthless, with a touch of madness. He’s a dangerous-looking man. A very good part this season. Fits the description of Euron Greyjoy, the "Crow's Eye".

A father: Aged 50’s to 60’s, he’s one of the greatest soldiers in Westeros- a humorless martinet, severe and intimidating. He demands martial discipline in the field and in his home. It’s described as “a very good part” for next year and that he’s “centrally involved” in a protagonist’s storyline. Fits the description of Lord Randyll Tarly, the Lord of Horn Hill.

A mother: She’s a sweet, plump, and adoring mother, and has a soft spot for one of her children who benefits from her decency. Fits the description of Lady Melessa Tarly.

A sister: She’s a kind, friendly and unpretentious woman. Fits the description of Talla Tarly.

A brother: Athletic, a good hunter, an excellent swordsman, manly, not particularly bright but the favourite child of the father. Fits the description of Dickon Tarly.

A priest: A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles. Fits the description of Septon Meribald.

A leading actress with a traveling theater troupe: In her early 40’s, she’s an elegant actress with a traveling theatre company. Fun, charismatic, rum-drinking actress in the troupe.

A priestess: Mid-20’s to early 30’s. Any ethnicity- she’s beautiful, intense, and magnetic.

A fierce warrior: A tall man in 30’s or 40’s with a powerful physique. They’re looking for someone with “mixed ethnicity” for the role. Fits the description of a Dothraki Khal, presumably Khal Jhaqo.

A large boy: With an actor who is 10-12 but playing 7 or 8. He’s described as “a clever boy” who seems too large for his age. He’s big and tall but not fat. “Characterful squat features” are a plus for this part. it’s specified that this is a one-time appearance.

A 12 year old boy: With brown hair and blue eyes. He needs to use a Northern accent. He has scenes where he has to spar with a wooden sword.
The length of the role isn’t specified.

A 7 year old boy: with dark brown hair, a narrow face and green eyes. He also has a Northern accent. He also spars with the wooden sword, so it’s safe to assume it’s the same scene. This role is similarly open-ended, the description only stating that the character is being ‘introduced.’

A Child of the Forest

Qhogo and Akrat, two Dothraki. They’re seeking mixed ethnicity or other non-white actors for the roles. The successful young warriors need to be tall, confident, with swagger and linguistic bravado. It’s noted that the actors will have to speak in a fictional language.

Bower, a servant: He is a powerless servant, numb to the horror he serves. He’s filming around one of the days that below “outlaw band” members are so he may be connected to them. He is required to have a Northern or Midland English accent and appears in one episode

Lachlan, an outlaw leader: He’s the big leader of a group of renegades who have turned on the land that they swore to protect. They’re now extorting the poor and vulnerable. He appears in 2 episodes in season 6.

Flynn: He’s part of an outlaw band. The group is using religion to justify terrorizing and extorting what they need from the people of the countryside. He appears in 2 episodes in season 6. He appears to be part of Lachlan’s band.

Japeth, an outlaw:Another member of the outlaw band is this lieutenant. He’s a “rough-and-ready type” with a strong physical presence, also appearing two episodes.

Several members of an "outlaw band" of "broken men" raiding the people they once swore to protect - loosely matching the description of raiders and bandits in the Riverlands subplot.

A legendary fighter: A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a famous sword. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role- the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles. It is speculated this may be Ser Arthur Dayne. Dayne died in Robert's Rebellion, but several other castings indicate flashback scenes may appear in Season 6.

A Lord of a Noble Northern House who fits the description of a member of House Umber: The lord is a savage warrior, and he rules a distinguished house in the very far North, and the role is said to be an impactful one. He’s described as a massive bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, and hatred that run deep, and he can be violent. The show’s looking for someone with a powerful physique who can tower over other cast members, a Northern English Accent and specifies he has to be at least 180 cm tall. The role will be on 2 episodes.

A Lord of a Noble Northern Stronghold: The show’s looking for an actor in his late thirties or forties to play another lord, one that’s ruthless and calculating. The frightening lord rules a vassal household with a castle stronghold. He’ll be in 3 episodes this year, with 20 days of filming this summer and fall.

A hunter: He’s a rough army officer on the hunt appearing in an action scene with main cast, in one episod

A submissive maester: The show’s casting a maester in his twenties- a timid young maester. He’s decent but has trouble standing up to others. He appears in one episode in season 6.

A green recruit: A young man with one line and one day of filming in August.

A sympathiser (1).

A sympathiser (2).

A sympathiser (3). These are rough military types, with a day of filming.

A housemaid. She’s the motherly nanny (with a tight whip) to a large household. The show wants an actress between the ages of 45-65 with a Northern English Accent. She’ll be in 2 episode

A father: He’s tough and old, an alpha male patriarch. The show is looking for a man with a Northern English Accent. He appears in one episode and has 2 lines.

A legendary fighter: A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a famous sword. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role- the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles. It is speculated this may be Ser Arthur Dayne. Dayne died in Robert's Rebellion, but several other castings indicate flashback scenes may appear in Season 6.

A Lord of a Noble Northern House who fits the description of a member of House Umber: The lord is a savage warrior, and he rules a distinguished house in the very far North, and the role is said to be an impactful one. He’s described as a massive bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, and hatred that run deep, and he can be violent. The show’s looking for someone with a powerful physique who can tower over other cast members, a Northern English Accent and specifies he has to be at least 180 cm tall. The role will be on 2 episodes.

A Lord of a Noble Northern Stronghold: The show’s looking for an actor in his late thirties or forties to play another lord, one that’s ruthless and calculating. The frightening lord rules a vassal household with a castle stronghold. He’ll be in 3 episodes this year, with 20 days of filming this summer and fall.

I speculate that these three roles are for the same scene, the Tower of Joy flashback. The Legendary Fighter is almost certainly Arthur Dayne. I disagree that the first Nothern Lord is an Umber: it could just as easily be the Wull (who was canonically at the Tower of Joy). If it's him, he's there to be "Worfed" by Arthur: he'll look all huge and intimidating and then Arthur will cut him down like he's nothing to help establish that Arthur is a badass.

This would make the third casting Howland Reed: he's important enough to the plot to require the longer filming time (he'd be in the flashback, but he'd also show up in our current era). My second guess is Wyman Manderly, but it seems very likely to me that Manderly has been cut entirely. Reed is crucial to the plot, but Manderly really isn't, especially with how they've changed the fates of Davos and Stannis. If the "frightening lord" is Howland, it's interesting the descriptors they've given him: it seems they're going for a more sinister vibe. Of course it's entirely relevant that we've never MET Howland in the novels, and we've only heard about him from his family and friends, so for all we know GRRM has always intended Howland to be a pretty creepy dude.

I speculate that these three roles are for the same scene, the Tower of Joy flashback. The Legendary Fighter is almost certainly Arthur Dayne. I disagree that the first Nothern Lord is an Umber: it could just as easily be the Wull (who was canonically at the Tower of Joy). If it's him, he's there to be "Worfed" by Arthur: he'll look all huge and intimidating and then Arthur will cut him down like he's nothing to help establish that Arthur is a badass.

"rules a distinguished house"

This would make the third casting Howland Reed: he's important enough to the plot to require the longer filming time (he'd be in the flashback, but he'd also show up in our current era). My second guess is Wyman Manderly, but it seems very likely to me that Manderly has been cut entirely. Reed is crucial to the plot, but Manderly really isn't, especially with how they've changed the fates of Davos and Stannis. If the "frightening lord" is Howland, it's interesting the descriptors they've given him: it seems they're going for a more sinister vibe. Of course it's entirely relevant that we've never MET Howland in the novels, and we've only heard about him from his family and friends, so for all we know GRRM has always intended Howland to be a pretty creepy dude.

Why would they have that elaborate of a description for someone that would be cut down after one scene? That doesn't make much sense.

Well it says he'll be in two episodes, not just one. The ToJ flashback isn't likely the only flashback: it's possible a large portion of season 6 consists of a variety of flashbacks, and we may have bits of Robert's Rebellion and the period leading up to it: in order for worfing to be effective you have to build up the worf as a badass. So this Umber/Wull character could be shown in some pre ToJ action sequences to establish his combat creds, then once the audience is well and duly informed that this guy is a huge asskicker, you get Dayne to serve him his butt on a platter to make the ass-kicking hierarchy clear. This is pretty much TV 101.

It's going to be very difficult for non-readers to accept some of the more complex plots that will be coming to a head: as readers we've been exposed to quite a bit of evidence for a number of secrets and conspiracies, but some of them are going to feel like a huge ass-pull for watchers unless they do some serious work setting it up, and on film/TV, you don't tell, you show. A flashback-heavy season gives them some stalling time too: there might still be some holes in the WoW/DoS plot that GRRM hasn't figured out yet, so flashbacks give them something "safe" they can film while George gets his shit together.

They're not going to spend all that prep time just to prove Dayne is a bad ass. Nor is it going to be a flashback heavy season. granted....they're going to chop and butcher the hell out of the two remaining books...but they have two remaining books...and 2 to 2.5 seasons. They can't even fit complete story lines in now.

I'd love to see ToJ done right. These guys don't do things right for the most part. Look at Maggy the Frog...I'm not going to hope for a minute they're going to do a righteous ToJ, much less spend time developing it.

They're not going to spend all that prep time just to prove Dayne is a bad ass. Nor is it going to be a flashback heavy season. granted....they're going to chop and butcher the hell out of the two remaining books...but they have two remaining books...and 2 to 2.5 seasons. They can't even fit complete story lines in now.

I'd love to see ToJ done right. These guys don't do things right for the most part. Look at Maggy the Frog...I'm not going to hope for a minute they're going to do a righteous ToJ, much less spend time developing it.

What was so bad about Maggy the Frog on the show? That they left our the Valonquar?

What was so bad about Maggy the Frog on the show? That they left our the Valonquar?

Not so much that as it was just contextually out of place. I doubt any unsullied even remembers it's significance. Nor did it seem to bear any relevance to Cersei's state of mind on the show. It could have been completely omitted and it wouldn't have changed anything. We could have spent that 5 minutes elsewhere.

Not so much that as it was just contextually out of place. I doubt any unsullied even remembers it's significance. Nor did it seem to bear any relevance to Cersei's state of mind on the show. It could have been completely omitted and it wouldn't have changed anything. We could have spent that 5 minutes elsewhere.

Ah I see. Yeah I agree it could have been placed better and in a better context. In the book it gave us the actual reason why Cersei hated Tyrion that much. On the show, with Cersei's spiral into madness so downplayed it was rather pointless.

I think a lot of scenes are put in merely so they can be part of a "previously on Game of Thrones" compilation. It's somewhat the same for the few Lyanna scenes we've had. They've all been narrated in a way that begs for them to be shown in a 20 second flashback to previous seasons, thus giving show-only viewers a fast TL;DR about twists and revelations in the current episode to come.

The scene with Maggy the Frog will be used likewise along with a few other related ditto whenever it becomes relevant in the future.

I'm sure it's supposed to come of as a clever form of chekhov's gun and perhaps I'm tainted by book knowledge and theories, because it seems a little clumsy in execution to me.

Was it used before Myrcella died?

No, but they could both be used together in a future "Previously..." to set up Tommen's death. I don't like "Previously..."s though. I prefer to be left to spot these foreshadowings myself, when re-watching old episodes on DVD, or re-reading the books, or watching the youtubes.

• 2 weeks later...

It makes it clear why Cersei wants Marg gone. She thinks she can prevent the death of her children by preventing Marg from being the queen who casts her down. It makes her motives make a bit more sense beyond " power hungry".

Archived