Your Favorite Reread

Stan Man

Hi everyone! I finished ASOIAF over a year ago and I was interested in revisiting the characters one at a time, namely in AFFC and ADWD. I just read through the Greyjoy chapters of AFFC - I like reading them all at once, rather than broken up by hundreds of pages.

What is the best/eyeopening/most fun/entertaining reading you have done? This can be strongly connected to your favorite character. I'm about to engage on Davos throughout ADWD, but I'm interested in hearing others' opinions!

Theon definitely. No question. Not my favourite character but definitely one of the best written chapters in ASOIAF (especially when it hits the reek stage).

And dany. No it's not just because she's my favourite character, she's my favourite story line because she's one of the very rare few (and the best example) of characters who's story crosses between the magical side of the story, and the political side.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd say everything in Dorne. I find myself thinking about the Arianne/Doran conversation in feast for crows from time to time, shivering as I come to the conclusion "Fire and Blood."

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be bias (not really) but it would have to be Dany, closely followed by Bran. Very illuminating both of them, and the discussion were fantastic. 

• 1 month later...

Jon in Feast and Dance, especially the parts with Val. 

Theon in Dance for sure. Some of the best stuff in all of the books so far. Not just for the cool stuff like Manderly and Frey pies and snowmen being built on top of the Winterfell battlements, but because Theon's transition back into himself is really gut wrenching stuff. 

Bran is so good in Dance, but that is probably because I am in love with Bloodraven :wub:

Tyrion Lannister is still my favorite... I know, I must be his only fan.... -titters-.... though it's conflicting as he.... really turning into a dark character .... or maybe he always was, and we're just seeing how dark he is. As for my other favorite Arya Stark, it's interesting to me that she's at first wild, not like Rickon, but she clearly has that Princess Merida thing going as she doesn't want to confirm to the Medieval time's view of what a woman should be. She wants to be a knight, like Bran, she wants to see the world, and have adventures. To hell with sewing, and being a lady, but as she lives alone, and meets new people, and experiences things alongside people she once hated, she learns that all the thoughts she had how she'd accomplish them were childish. As she matures, though still independent and stubborn like Lyanna Stark, all of her experiences are leading her to becoming bit by bit wise and patient, and pragmatic like her father... however, with her experiences, and less strict sense of honor like Ned had, she will slowly grow to have the best features of Lyanna and Ned, with little of their flaws.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have enjoyed re-reading Cersei this time around.  I am reading much slower this time, taking time to absorb exactly what the impact of her actions really mean.    She is so blind to anything outside herself.  Even to the point of refusing the Iron Bank their loan payments to 'secure' Tommen's throne (her last chance at being a ruling regent) by building ships and employing swords.  When, in reality, all she does is cause the entire realm to go bankrupt as the Iron Bank calls in all their loans, leaving them poor, hungry, angry and likely to rebel against the throne as the cause of it. Meaning, that she is in fact making Tommen's rule very likely to face open realm-wide rebellion against him.  She is just vile, and so very ignorant that it is a joy to see her be so blind to the real threat - herself.  (Bit like Rob and Catelyn's meddling)

• 1 month later...

Brienne's. I quite liked the atmosphere in her chapters and the gritty quality of her and Pod's dogged journey, and I liked the side characters of Nimble Dick and Hyle Hunt, but on first read it seems such a plot detour that one lack's patience. Its good to go back and just read them for their own sake.

Archived