Possible Casting of Another Red Priestess Spoilers

TheReal_Rebel

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-six-audition-surfaces-online/

An audition for Game of Thrones season 6 has surfaced online on Vimeo (and since been taken down), with an actress trying out for the role of the beautiful priestess mentioned in the casting breakdowns. We do believe these are real audition sides on the video, with dialogue that could well be a part of season 6, much like how the Sand Snakess leaked audition scripts last year turned out to all be a part of the show.

Spoilers, of course!

In the video, English actress Tehmina Sunny read a scene in which the red priestess, apparently named Kinvara, visits with Tyrion and Varys in Meereen.

In the novels, the head of the Red Temple of Volantis is a man named Benerro. Its possible this priestess is a show equivalent of that character. Tyrion and Varys appear to be seeking her approval and support of Daenerys.

WotW reader Jared has transcribed the video:

Herald: You stand in the presence of Kinvara, High Priestess of the Red Temple of Volantis, the Flametruth, the light of wisdom, the first servant of the Lord of the Light.

Tyrion: Welcome to Meereen. Thats about the extent of my Valyrian. Do you mind if we continue in Common?

*Kinvara nods*

Tyrion: Thank you for traveling all this way. I know from personal experience how uncomfortable the journey can be. The truth is, we need your help. Our hope is that we can persuade you to, to

Kinvara: You want my priests to convince the Meereenese that the citys conqueror is the peoples savior.

Tyrion/Varys: We prefer liberator to conqueror.

Kinvara: You dont have to persuade me of anything. I came to help. Daenerys Stormborn is the One Who Was Promised. From the fire, she was reborn to remake the world.

Tyrion: Yes.

Kinvara: She freed the slaves from their chains and crucified the Masters for their sins.

Tyrion/Varys: She did indeed.

Kinvara: Her dragons are fire made flesh. A gift from the Lord of Light. But youve heard all of this before, havent you? On the Long Bridge of Volantis? The dragons purify nonbelievers by the thousands, burning their sins and flesh away.

Tyrion/Varys: Ideally, wed avoid purifying many non-believers. The Mother of the Dragon has followers from many different faiths.

Kinvara: You want your queen to be worshiped and obeyed. And while shes gone, you want her advisors to be worshiped and obeyed.

Tyrion: Id settle for obeyed.

Kinvara: I will summon mummers and appoint priests. They will spread the word. Daenerys has been sent to lead the people against the darkness for this war, and the Great War yet to come.

Varys: That sounds excellent. A man named Stannis Baratheon was appointed as the Chosen One by one of your priestesses. He too had a glorious destiny. He attacked Kings Landing, and was soundly defeated by the man standing beside me. Last I heard, hed been defeated again. This time at Winterfell and this time for good.

*Kinvara turns her head as if responding to a new speaker, implying that Tyrion is the one who speaks the next line*

Tyrion: We are grateful for any support you can provide the queen during this trying time.

*Kinvara turns her head back Varys speaking again?*

Varys: I suppose it is hard for a fanatic to admit a mistake. Isnt that the whole point of being a fanatic? Youre always right. Everything is the Lords will.

Kinvara: Everything is the Lords will. Men and women make mistakes even honest servants of the Lord.

Varys: And you? An honest servant of the Lord? Why should I trust you any more than the priestess who counseled Stannis?

Tyrion: My friend has a healthy skepticism of religion, but were all loyal supporters of the Queen.

Kinvara: Everyone is what they are and where they are for a reason. Terrible things happen for a reason. Take what happened to you, Lord [Varys], when you were a child. If not for the mutilation by the second-rate sorcerer, you would not be here, helping the Lords Chosen bring light into this world. Knowledge has made you very powerful but there is still so much you dont know. Do you remember what you heard, the night the sorcerer tossed your parts into the flames? Should I tell you what the voice said? Should I tell you the name of the one who spoke or where it lives?

*Kinvara laughs. Clearly, she has successfully unsettled Varys*

Kinvara: We serve the same queen. If you are a true friend, you have nothing to fear from me.

*Kinvara turns and departs*

Thanks for the transcription, Jared, and thanks to reader Conan for bringing the video to our attention!

I can't say I'm hugely impressed by D+D taking a shrivelled old man from the books (Benerro) and turning him into a smoking hot Melisandre clone. Like is that really where this show is now? Making new characters for sex appeal?

Now I am speculating that this Kinvara is a combination of Moqorro, Benerro and Vogarro's Whore - hence why they decided to go for a woman (though of course The Widow is not supposed to be smoking hot.). So she will rally the slaves of Essos for Dany.

I can't say I'm hugely impressed by D+D taking a shrivelled old man from the books (Benerro) and turning him into a smoking hot Melisandre clone. Like is that really where this show is now? Making new characters for sex appeal?

Now I am speculating that this Kinvara is a combination of Moqorro, Benerro and Vogarro's Whore - hence why they decided to go for a woman (though of course The Widow is not supposed to be smoking hot.). So she will rally the slaves of Essos for Dany.

Apparently, as long as they are the ones running the show. I would like Jane Espenson to take over as producer, along with several of the other first season writers.

But find the dialogue interesting, though it is likely to be changed before the show. Also the fact they don't outrightly say Stannis is dead.

The scene seems pretty interesting to me. I have not read the books so I have no idea who all they combined.

But I would love a hot woman rather than a shrivelled old man.

Let me also point out I would be totally fine with a hot guy too.

They (M/F) just have to be good looking because I feel it will make it more appealing on screen.

That makes Varys question whether they are really priestesses or use their sex appeal(Mel) to spread their religion.

You seem so eager to hurl insults at D&D. I guess you will tune in to watch your most hated show(GoT) for S6 too and come here to spread more of your hate. Nitpicking on the smallest details.

If man was cast - "Wtf. All the leaders have to be men?"

If woman is cast- "Objectifying women"

There is no pleasing the likes of you.

The scene seems pretty interesting to me. I have not read the books so I have no idea who all they combined.

They (M/F) just have to be good looking because I feel it will make it more appealing on screen.

That makes Varys question whether they are really priestesses or use their sex appeal(Mel) to spread their religion.

You seem so eager to hurl insults at D&D. I guess you will tune in to watch your most hated show(GoT) for S6 too and come here to spread more of your hate. Nitpicking on the smallest details.

I'm going to assume you're serious despite my doubts just because I'm nice like that.

I have no problem with either male or female leaders. Don't even have a problem with hot female leaders. Why would I? I just don't trust D+D to write any female character well (or anyone to be honest, but especially women) and I'm kind of exasperated that they're injecting sex appeal into the story in places were there was none before.

I just don't like this scene:

• What's wrong with the character from the books - Benerro?
  • Why are they basically just casting another Melisandre? They've completely removed the subtle differences between the Red Priests in the show.
  • How does Varys know about Stannis' defeat at Winterfell already and why shoe-horn it into the conversation? Do they really think that this makes the world feel more connected? It just makes the world feel smaller.
  • This scene stinks of kissing Tyrion's but as usual. Like immediately after Tyrion takes up leadership of Meereen he has hot women prostrating themselves at his feet to help. He doesn't need to negotiate or navigate complex political situations. Kinvara is "here to help."
  • And I really don't think it's a good thing that I already know the exact delivery of the lines in this scene.

So as long as the actor/actress is attractive, anything goes! Because the unattractive people never get to do anything of note, ever.

Please think about how this makes you seem

She's a women because Daenerys needs some women besides Missandei in her storyline and not more old men.

She's a women because Daenerys needs some women besides Missandei in her storyline and not more old men.

If only there were female characters from the books they could use. Like an shrewd, ancient priestess who could represent the grievances of the Meereenese. Or an ex slave looking to rally the slaves of Essos to Dany's cause. Shame there's nothing like that in the source material that they could have drawn from.

Mediocre dialogue ... that's it.... I also have a problem that it appears all the priests of Rhllor are women, considering Rila Fukushimia... especially because we know in the books it's the other way around. Women are what? temple prostitutes?? Melisandre probably isn't an oficial priestess in the eyes of the great temples in Essos.

Why would she need to tell Varys the name of the one who spoke and where it lives? Varys has already caught up with him and dealt with him,( he had the wizard in a basket in series 3) which if she was any good at reading the flames she would already know.

and is the word "IT" a typo, does she mean that the voice was not that of the wizard, and there was something else there, or that the wizard was not human

Why would she need to tell Varys the name of the one who spoke and where it lives? Varys has already caught up with him and dealt with him,( he had the wizard in a basket in series 3) which if she was any good at reading the flames she would already know.

and is the word "IT" a typo, does she mean that the voice was not that of the wizard, and there was something else there, or that the wizard was not human

The 'demonic' voice that spoke back to the sorcerer.

The voice was not the sorcerer.

She could tell him what it said, to prove she knows a lot.

She could then identify what/who is is, and where it resides. (Varys probably does not know these answers)

If only there were female characters from the books they could use. Like an shrewd, ancient priestess who could represent the grievances of the Meereenese. Or an ex slave looking to rally the slaves of Essos to Dany's cause. Shame there's nothing like that in the source material that they could have drawn from.

Clearly these characters you mentioned are not as important as Benerro/Moqorro so there's that. You'd rather see the Green Grace or the ex slave from Volantis than the equivalent of Moqorro/Benerro who have bigger roles to play.

It seems such a small thing to nitpick on.

Clearly these characters you mentioned are not as important as Benerro/Moqorro so there's that. You'd rather see the Green Grace or the ex slave from Volantis than the equivalent of Moqorro/Benerro who have bigger roles to play.

It seems such a small thing to nitpick on.

I'm just saying if Benerro/Moqorro is important then cast them! Not some sexpot Melisandre ripoff. Who cares how many women Dany has with her? It's not like Dany is even here at this point.

And I'm pretty convinced that this character is going to take on some of the role of Vogarro's Whore, and indeed that will probably be their justification for making her a female character. The Widow has been telegraphed pretty clearly to play a big part in rallying the slaves of Volantis and Essos in general. Now Kinvara seems to be doing the same thing. So honestly I'd rather they actually cast The Widow of the Waterfront. Obviously if she isn't on the Waterfront it makes sense to give her a proper name, but again...no need to sex her up.

The Green Grace is another matter entirely. As I think she's The Harpy in the books I would have liked to see her in the show. She would have provided more female characters around Dany - if that's really an issue - and she's just generally pretty cool.

I'm just saying if Benerro/Moqorro is important then cast them! Not some sexpot Melisandre ripoff. Who cares how many women Dany has with her? It's not like Dany is even here at this point.

And I'm pretty convinced that this character is going to take on some of the role of Vogarro's Whore, and indeed that will probably be their justification for making her a female character. The Widow has been telegraphed pretty clearly to play a big part in rallying the slaves of Volantis and Essos in general. Now Kinvara seems to be doing the same thing. So honestly I'd rather they actually cast The Widow of the Waterfront. Obviously if she isn't on the Waterfront it makes sense to give her a proper name, but again...no need to sex her up.

The Green Grace is another matter entirely. As I think she's The Harpy in the books I would have liked to see her in the show. She would have provided more female characters around Dany - if that's really an issue - and she's just generally pretty cool.

I agree on The Widow. She's one of my very favorite minor-minor characters in Dance. I would have preferred her to a hot priestess too, mostly because I thought her story was so so interesting. And the show clearly can handle dialogue for sassy old ladies! We could have had a Olenna of the East.

I agree on the Green Grace too. I was surprised when, as S5 progressed, that she didn't turn up.

This casting news seems to really emphasize that the red priests are coming to the fore in the story, especially as concerns the three most important characters.

It does - and it's really interesting to me that so far they seem really into Dany. We don't know why in the books Mel is convinced that Stannis is the savior - maybe we will learn next season? As it does seem she has strayed from the pack somehow....

I'm not keen that she seems too similar to Melisandre, but it's hard to pass judgement until we see the eventual portrayal. I hope she ends up with a personality that differs more from Mel than the scene in question implies.

Regarding the scene itself, I'm not entirely keen on it on its own but without context it is again hard to judge. Scenes are often improved from its early on-page incarnate to its on-screen completion.

We shall see..

Archived