Your Plans for TWOW

BaelorTheBold

Eh, I'm not going to some midnight release of it that's for sure. I might just ensure it's delivered to my kindle automatically at the appropriate time but that's as far as I'll go. No skipping work or anything crazy either. Enough of my coworkers know I'm a fan(as some of them are show fans) that they wouldn't buy me being gone that day anyways. If I stay up all night reading it, not impossible, I'll just tough it out the next day. Beyond that, I've been waiting this long(only a year and a half actually since I read the series for the first time) so a bit longer won't hurt.

The main thing I'll be sure to do is stay away from this place. The show has already shown me how inconsiderate the user base can be with spoilers, even in the thread titles.

Oh no way am I going on the forums (or any non work essential internet) until I finish that book. I know I am a fast reader, but I also know some of you guys are going to stay up for six days straight and pretend you have the flu until you're done with twow haha. I see myself reading it on the subway, on lunch hours, everywhere. I'll be like a zombie but I don't care.

As for how I'll get it, I'll get the ebook the night it comes out, and preorder a hard copy. My whole family reads aoiaf, so I'll probly pick up another copy first chance I get, but honestly I think they'll be sold out for awhile.

From what everyone is saying about avoiding the forums, seems like this place'll be dead for a couple days.

Really? If I had to bet within half an hour of it hitting the shelves the first spoiler topic will pop up as soon as someone skims to the end.

I'll get the audio book as soon as it's available (hoping it's the same day as the paper version).

Then I'll avoid the forums for a few weeks while I listen. I've already read some spoilers on the sample chapters but they're nothing major so I'm going to avoid the big spoilers on here.

I won't be doing the other books just now. I might do them all once all the books are out.

Hey! Be careful with the midnight releases guys. You might have a guy give you a spoiler-drive-by like that Harry Potter book in 2006.

Or somebody pull a Homer Simpson and walk out of the store and say "I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke's Father" just as you walk in.

It's actually good that polish translation won't be ready for few months... no one will spoil it for me... ( actually I know only few people who read ASOIAF ).

By the time WoW comes, I'll probably have FCE in English, and even now reading a book in English isn't a problem for me... ( I've read LoTR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, ASOIAF, D&E, HoTME, Unfinished Tales, Children of Húrin, Narnia and other books in English)...

I want to immerse myself in the book, I really do, but I don't see how some people have the time or energy to do it constantly. In the past, I could run through large books in a matter of days. Harry Potter comes to mind. But now that I've gotten older (though I'm still only 26) I cannot find nearly enough time in the day inlcudes a full time job, two small kids, and a wife.

Pre-order from a bookstore in my area. It was going to be the small bookstore in my town, but it's now operating at reduced hours, and I don't know if it will even be open by the time Winds is released. So it will most likely be the nearest Barnes&Noble. If they organize a midnight event all the better, I'll be there.

Failing all that, pre-order from Amazon, or just get the e-book version.

Now as to the reading part: Since I seldom take days off work, I should have plenty of vacation time built up, thus I will take some days off then, and do nothing else but read. Knowing how this site handled spoilers for ADWD, I will pop in at times whenever I've read something of significance.

Reading this thread, sounds like everybody has waited years to read Winds and enjoy it for a few weeks, just to wait more years for the next book.

This sucks.

Yeah, that's my plan.

But I expect winds to be re-readable quality. So I'll enjoy it for far longer than a couple of weeks.

6 months out I will begin to reread each of the 5 books/TWOIAF/novellas so that it is all fresh in my mind when TWOW is released.

Once I have the book I will take a few days off work to finish it (no going out, spending times with friends, especially no FORUMS, I am going to be immersed)

Once I finish my first read I will return to the forums and begin my second more detailed/slow read.

Archived