Marijuana Enthusiasts

I heard on NPR this morning some study reported that the actual medicinal values that marijuana brings are negligible and that it has even been known to cause schizophrenia in a percentage of people. WTF?!! http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/03/06/390143641/pot-can-trigger-psychotic-symptoms-for-some-but-do-the-effects-last

Per the article, cannabis use is higher than ever, yet schizophrenia is still where it's always been. I'm also not sure which 'medicinal values' you're talking about, but coming from a family where my father died due to an overdose of Rx drugs used for pain, I would have much rather he was prescribed cannabis to manage it instead. I would have probably been able to hang out with him last Sunday instead of sitting at home by myself.

I like that Scot is one of the top posters in the marijuana enthusiast thread.

I like to imagine that he sits at a beautiful mahogany desk, lawyering all day. Law degree proudly framed and hanging on the wall. But in the bottom drawer of his mahogany desk lives a bong with a base shaped like a skull. At 5pm each day he gets it out, loosens his tie, puts on a black sabbath record, and uses his pens as drumsticks on his desk.

I like to imagine that he sits at a beautiful mahogany desk, lawyering all day. Law degree proudly framed and hanging on the wall. But in the bottom drawer of his mahogany desk lives a bong with a base shaped like a skull. At 5pm each day he gets it out, loosens his tie, puts on a black sabbath record, and uses his pens as drumsticks on his desk.

Best. Image. Ever.

I was passing along an article. You have no idea what my person feelings are on this (especially since my family happens to be in the medicinal marijuana business). Calm your personal bias down dude.

Just commenting on the article and a statement you made. This is an open forum, the article was posted, and I posted my opinion after reading it in a MARIJUANA ENTHUSIAST thread. What do you expect to happen?

I was hoping someone might have more information regarding the facts on either side. I guess it was too much to hope for :P

I think the problem is that there just really are not a lot of facts around it. There just hasn't been a lot of good science in this space.

S John,

:lol:

That is a good point. The man they were interviewing was saying that he hopes the government would actually get behind research into the effects of both how helpful and harmful marijuana can be because right now there are issues of funding AND legality for that kind of research.

Yep. Exactly. There seems to be some promise for pain management and certain specific conditions, but no real quality clinical trials. Hopefully that will change.

That is a good point. The man they were interviewing was saying that he hopes the government would actually get behind research into the effects of both how helpful and harmful marijuana can be because right now there are issues of funding AND legality for that kind of research.

Didn't the DEA increase the amount of pot they grow at Ole Miss last year? I assumed it was for testing purposes. I'll have to try and find an article later so I can post a link.

Here in the UK, weed is banned because it 'causes schizophrenia'. But in the USA, 'medical' marijuana is a thing.

Are the Americans aware that it 'causes schizophrenia'? Or are they too stoned to care?

There is no causal link, so it's funny that they use fake unproven science in order to push their policy. Not surprising though, the US does the same at the federal level.

There is already a thread on the political aspects of cannabis, can I make a request that the discussion about the politics, articles, etc be made there and this thread stick to the enthusiasts?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/in-the-loop/wp/2014/05/06/with-demand-for-research-marijuana-high-federal-government-agrees-to-grow-more/

Not sure how to add links via mobile, but here's a story from last year about the federal government's huge increase in marijuana grown. As the article states, the increase is for research purposes due to the legalization for medicinal purposes as well as the legalization for recreational purposes.

Ok, there's the link.

So what strains are people's faves?

I just had a AK mix that was pretty good. This weekend I'm going to either break into my silver haze sativa mix or kush. I haven't decided yet, but leaning towards the kush and save the haze for the 4th.

That just made my day.

Archived