Arthur Dayne Season 6

crazibouncer

TOJ flashback would be one scene, which hardly justifies a full week of shooting.

Maybe we're getting some Arthur Dayne fanfiction... maybe it's Darkstar... maybe they merged the two characters :D

I think you underestimate how long it would take to make a scene like one that adapts the battle at the tower of joy, the battle at hardhome took 5 weeks to film not counting how long it takes to edit the scene and add vfx in pre-production so a week for a fight scene doesn't seem to bad especially for GOT

They are looking for a fighter, "the best sword-man in Europe"... and that sounds like they are not looking for a good actor.

That's what makes me thing that perhaps he wont be Arthur Dayne (if we see ToJ scene i would hope for some ironical conversation with Ned/Howland or whatever, but some acting and not only a demonstration of sword fight).

That is the same idea that discards Rhaegar. Rhaegar must be a charismatic character. Not only a good fighter (i know he wasnt the best swordman, but he won some Tourneys and fought well against Robert, so maybe in the show he could be a good sword player), but also a intelectual person.

Saying that, so I am thinking on two possibilities: Azor Ahai or "a champion" for someones trial.

well just because they mention best in europe doesn't mean they're not looking for someone who can at least act good, when you read the casting list for other characters none of them mention anything about being a good actor, they might something like age and height and accent and maybe even race but nothing about acting ability, and for the record I do believe it's Arthur Dayne if for no other reason than I am a complete optimist and hope for the best

I liked the Michael Fassbender but I doubt he'd do TV, he's really on the top of the acting world now. Definitely he is incredibly talented - and the scene between him and Ser Davos Seaworth in the movie Hunger , a *FULL SEVENTEEN MINUTES LONG* of them talking to each other at a table , with no stops or change of camera etc *** is one of the greatest cinematic accomplishments of all time, and it's such a shame not more people have seen it let alone talk about it. Fassbender would be great, but sadly I doubt he'd do it. You know, "TV and all that..." .

I still think Philip Winchester would be perfect -- but I admit, I saw this picture of The Sword of The Morning for the first time when I saw this picture from the ToJ/Kingsguard vid: (the guy on the left)

http://i.imgur.com/oWuuaBZ.jpg

So to me , now in my head, THAT is what The Sword of The Morning looks like. And SHOULD look like lol. Whereas , you could make Vinnie Jones the LC Gerold Hightower, and Jason Statham as Ser Oswell Whent if you like, you gotta have Arthur Dayne with that look. (A younger, 2004-King Arthur era Ioan Gruffudd with long hair would have done nicely!). I love good old Damian Lewis to death but, he just doesn't look like Arthur Dayne. Clive Owen would rock but I imagine he'd be too old, Gerard Butler too old and perhaps not dark hair enough but he could just Spartan their asses into picking him, he's Gerard Butler right?

I started Googling pictures of famous British male actors and I have to say, Henry Cavill could probably pull off that pic's look with some Hollywood help. I am pretty sure he is well thought of and talented, no?

I think you underestimate how long it would take to make a scene like one that adapts the battle at the tower of joy, the battle at hardhome took 5 weeks to film not counting how long it takes to edit the scene and add vfx in pre-production so a week for a fight scene doesn't seem to bad especially for GOT

This, exactly. A week, if they actually show much of the fighting at the Tower, is kind of short, in truth. Choreography and practice take time, then the actual costuming/makeup and shooting of the scenes. If Hardhome took them 5 weeks, a 7 man deathmatch at the Tower of Joy could easily take them a full week.

There is nobody introduced in the first 5 books that matches the character description other than Dayne, IMHO. That, of course, does not preclude them from introducing a new heroic fighter - but it's really late to be doing something like that. And obviously it's not a permanent cast member so.

As for those who are wondering why they are prioritizing the fighting over the acting... the bulk of that scene IS fighting. The person playing Dayne is likely not to have more than a few lines at most. Ned and his people arrive, words are exchanged (and if it's a brief verbal exchange in the book, it's going to be even shorter on television!), fight ensues with not much more talking but lots of sword swinging and killing. After that, it's Ned, Lyanna and possibly Howland.

Personally I would rather them cast an epic swordsman than have another visual disaster like the Water Gardens fight.

Sean Bean looks too old now to play Eddard at that age, but if they can convincingly make Hayley Atwell look like a 90 year old Agent Carter, then I'm sure they can make Sean Bean look like a much younger Sean Bean, lol.

This, exactly. A week, if they actually show much of the fighting at the Tower, is kind of short, in truth. Choreography and practice take time, then the actual costuming/makeup and shooting of the scenes. If Hardhome took them 5 weeks, a 7 man deathmatch at the Tower of Joy could easily take them a full week.

There is nobody introduced in the first 5 books that matches the character description other than Dayne, IMHO. That, of course, does not preclude them from introducing a new heroic fighter - but it's really late to be doing something like that. And obviously it's not a permanent cast member so.

As for those who are wondering why they are prioritizing the fighting over the acting... the bulk of that scene IS fighting. The person playing Dayne is likely not to have more than a few lines at most. Ned and his people arrive, words are exchanged (and if it's a brief verbal exchange in the book, it's going to be even shorter on television!), fight ensues with not much more talking but lots of sword swinging and killing. After that, it's Ned, Lyanna and possibly Howland.

Personally I would rather them cast an epic swordsman than have another visual disaster like the Water Gardens fight.

Sean Bean looks too old now to play Eddard at that age, but if they can convincingly make Hayley Atwell look like a 90 year old Agent Carter, then I'm sure they can make Sean Bean look like a much younger Sean Bean, lol.

There is serious interest in Michael Douglas and the dude who directed Ant-Man to do an entire film set in the past. I'm guessing the reactions to Douglas' de-aged scenes in Ant-Man are good. If someone is willing to fund an entire movie where Michael Douglas would be digitally de-aged. One sequence with Ned seems like childplay.

There is serious interest in Michael Douglas and the dude who directed Ant-Man to do an entire film set in the past. I'm guessing the reactions to Douglas' de-aged scenes in Ant-Man are good. If someone is willing to fund an entire movie where Michael Douglas would be digitally de-aged. One sequence with Ned seems like childplay.

Well, let's hope so. I really don't think it would be possible *at all* for them to recast the younger Eddard. They could just have Sean play him as-is, but part of what makes flashbacks or historical scenes believable is people looking younger/different. It totally made sense for them to recast for young Cersei, but they really can't recast an adult Eddard. They just need to de-age Sean Bean a little.

It's awesome to find someone who understands what I mean when I say a week of shooting isn't a long time and I also completely agree with your sentiments about making haley atwell look old in winter soldier. On top of that there is precedence on the show for CGing (that is a term right?) people and manipulating them digitally. Even just this past season they digitally swapped lena heady's body double's face for hers in the walk of shame and the night's king had to be done through motion capture so If they can swap out peoples heads and body's and make a somebody look like an Icy King of an Ice zombie horde, hell even making convincing, seemingly living dragons i'm pretty sure they can digitally remove some wrinkles from Sean Beans face

It's awesome to find someone who understands what I mean when I say a week of shooting isn't a long time and I also completely agree with your sentiments about making haley atwell look old in winter soldier. On top of that there is precedence on the show for CGing (that is a term right?) people and manipulating them digitally. Even just this past season they digitally swapped lena heady's body double's face for hers in the walk of shame and the night's king had to be done through motion capture so If they can swap out peoples heads and body's and make a somebody look like an Icy King of an Ice zombie horde, hell even making convincing, seemingly living dragons i'm pretty sure they can digitally remove some wrinkles from Sean Beans face.

It's awesome to find someone who understands what I mean when I say a week of shooting isn't a long time and I also completely agree with your sentiments about making haley atwell look old in winter soldier. On top of that there is precedence on the show for CGing (that is a term right?) people and manipulating them digitally. Even just this past season they digitally swapped lena heady's body double's face for hers in the walk of shame and the night's king had to be done through motion capture so If they can swap out peoples heads and body's and make a somebody look like an Icy King of an Ice zombie horde, hell even making convincing, seemingly living dragons i'm pretty sure they can digitally remove some wrinkles from Sean Beans face

Yes. They did some CG work for the Walk of Shame (face-body work, which is different from animating the dragons). The CGI for Cersei was okay, not great - even on our HD living room television I could see the obvious work in a couple of the scenes. But they did attempt it, so there's no reason to think they wouldn't/couldn't de-age Mr. Bean back to his 20s.

Yes. They did some CG work for the Walk of Shame (face-body work, which is different from animating the dragons). The CGI for Cersei was okay, not great - even on our HD living room television I could see the obvious work in a couple of the scenes. But they did attempt it, so there's no reason to think they wouldn't/couldn't de-age Mr. Bean back to his 20s.

True although my inclusion of the dragon's wasn't about the animation but more the texture work and the creation and manipulation of said texture to make them "look" convincing and the look of skin is texture which they can manipulate so my point was if they can manipulate texture to create a convincingly looking dragon they can manipulate the texture on sean bean's face to make him look younger, but it's cool if you didn't catch on to that I never really elobarated on that so It's my fault

They've confirmed Mesa Roldan as a filming location. If this isn't going to be the Tower of Joy, I'll eat my socks. With a little CGI for added height - this is exactly how I imagined the tower (which is in Dorne, so the landscape is perfect) and it's remote - with plenty of room for a battle around it.

http://watchersonthewall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Mesa-Roldan-tower.jpg

Edit: My bad, thought you meant the other castle that was revealed. :bang:

I don't know, it could be. I think were certainly getting it though.

I keep picturing some lone tower, even though it makes no sense.

http://img12.deviantart.net/6627/i/2013/163/6/6/tower_of_joy___a_song_of_ice_and_fire_by_mrgotland-d68rqx2.png

Like this, but I think it's meant to be some fortress so the picture must be wrong?

They've confirmed Mesa Roldan as a filming location. If this isn't going to be the Tower of Joy, I'll eat my socks. With a little CGI for added height - this is exactly how I imagined the tower (which is in Dorne, so the landscape is perfect) and it's remote - with plenty of room for a battle around it.

Yup that totally looks like it would be in Dorne. Actually starting to get excited that we might really see this scene in flashback. Casting news for a female that fits Lyanna's description would be welcome news... but if they approached a specific actress on the QT for it, they can easily keep it secret for quite some time to come.

TBH I think this looks more like Casterly Rock. There's another location that was recently revealed though that fits the bill more, it's by the sea but who knows how they can change things around on the show.

Oh, man. Is it actually happening? Tower of Joy?! I am trying so hard not to get my hopes up, especially because, to be honest, anything less than that scene word for word from the book will be a disappointment to me. But that looks like the ToJ to me too.

What interests me more about the whole, young Ned thing is if they cast a new actor, they will probably do the same for Howland Reed. But if it's Sean bean de-aged. Will they cast someone older for Howland and de-age him, so they can bring him back for a present day appearance? (Viggo Mortensen would be great.)

What interests me more about the whole, young Ned thing is if they cast a new actor, they will probably do the same for Howland Reed. But if it's Sean bean de-aged. Will they cast someone older for Howland and de-age him, so they can bring him back for a present day appearance? (Viggo Mortensen would be great.)

I don't hate this idea.

Not sure about Viggo but I'd be happy to see an all intact Sean Bean again. A re-headed Ned! I think if they can budget in the age regression effect it would be a memorable part in the show.

Archived