Spokane River Float thread

Frisco

Time: Thursday, August 20th @ 11:30am (will give more precise meeting place/time at the Meet & Greet)

The float is ~2 hours, costs $20 (plus $60 refundable equipment deposit). I think they're pretty lax about the deposit for groups of our size, so I'll probably just give them my credit card and be responsible (temporarily) for the cost of any lost/destroyed gear. Just have a $20 bill ready Thursday morning, or they can take credit/debit when they pick us up.

They rent out cooler tubes, so we will have 2 or 3 of those for our snacks and booze. I don't know about the law, technically, but they say that people typically do bring alcohol on the river, and FLOW doesn't check nor care about the contents of our cooler tubes. They fill up with ice for us, so all we need to bring is food and beverage of our choice. There are places on the river where we can go ashore and have a picnic, if we want.

Life vests are required and are included in the $20 rental. Closed-heel shoes are highly recommended, as well. I don't know if they're required or how strict they are about it, but flip flops will be eaten by the river and your feet will be dashed upon the rocks or something like that.

We all need to fill out this waiver, ideally before they come to pick us up.: https://www.smartwaiver.com/w/556a3d44220d7/kiosk/

So far, from the Facebook thread and this thread I have:

Frisco

Tully (looking into it)

Lucky Pierre

Racebannon

Jessica G

Peterbound

Curlz + Nichole + ~3

Cuellar

Lily Valley

Ser Cam

OER + Brian

Pod

Plus One

Tanner Sack

Red Woman/Boiled Leather

Elder Sister (definitely coming. for sure. 100%)

Ithanos (unless he takes a wrong turn and ends up in Arkansas somehow)

Monday & SSW

Blackfyre

Have I missed anyone who has already told me they want to go, and does anyone who hasn't seen the facebook thread want to join? They say they can handle up to 45, so don't be shy!

You do know that worldcon members are not strong swimmers? Seriously though, this idea sounds brilliant ! I would like to be a part if you happen to have the room and the inclination, as it seems to be connected to the Facebook group I am not sure it is kosher for me to even ask to join up?? I wouldn't be 100 percent until I see the Worldcon signings and program stuff to make sure to not miss anything big(geeky stuff is very important to me), and I would have to cancel burgeoning plans that day with the Furries.

You do know that worldcon members are not strong swimmers? Seriously though, this idea sounds brilliant ! I would like to be a part if you happen to have the room and the inclination, as it seems to be connected to the Facebook group I am not sure it is kosher for me to even ask to join up?? I wouldn't be 100 percent until I see the Worldcon signings and program stuff to make sure to not miss anything big(geeky stuff is very important to me), and I would have to cancel burgeoning plans that day with the Furries.

The Facebook group IS the BwB. You're welcome there and at the float, as well. Whether it's your first con with the BwB or your tenth, you can still hang out and relax and have a beer.

I'll probably be trying to give a headcount in the next few weeks, but they seem pretty flexible, and I'll probably add a few to my final number for last-minute additions. So if the programming isn't out that early, there's still a chance we could fit you in. I figured Thursday morning would be one of the least likely times to conflict with the more in-demand panels and con events.

Regarding the Brotherhood Without Banners facebook group: all BWBers are welcome, so if you sent in a request and it hasn't been dealt with, please send me a PM here with your name. I'd hate for a real request to get missed (we sometimes get fake people ask to join just so they can spam us with ads).

It looks like the water temperature of Lake Coeur d'Alene in August is ~77-degrees Fahrenheit (25 Celsius). So around the temperature of a swimming pool.

If I had to guess, I'd say it gets even warmer when it drains into the river, since it's ~1,000ft lower in elevation and much shallower. But I base that on nothing scientific.

that's pretty cold. I keep the pool at 82-83 for her royal highness. :)

Tell her she can wear a sweater!

Updates on my communication with FLOW:

They can pick us up right at the Davenport and take cash/credit card there (they haven't mentioned the deposit, but I can probably just give them my card to put on file and they can charge it if any of us knuckleheads lose our tube somehow and I'll hunt you down). I gave them a tentative headcount of 20, but they seem confident that there will be room if we grow larger than that.

Then they'll take us directly to the put-in spot just down the road. The cooler tubes come complete with built-in coolers which will already have ice in them, so we'll just have to add beverages. Swanky!

There are a couple nice spots along the float to hop out of the river, so we could bring a light lunch and have a picnic on a beach.

When we reach the take-out, we'll just have to wait for a shuttle to be available and they'll bring us back to downtown Spokane.

So basically all we have to do is show up in front of the Davenport ~11:00am with the proper shoes, $20, a waiver which I'll link sometime soon, whatever we want to drink/eat, and a metric ton of sunscreen. Simple, just how I like it.

Can I get in on this action? I LOVE a good float! (this is Julia, if you want to use real names)

In regards to the water - this is definitely going to be cooler than your average river, but won't be so cold that you need a wetsuit - I'd seriously doubt that they'd have float operations in anything that cold :)

Archived