Introductions

Ran

Hello all!

Long time reader of the forums here, finally decided to register. Long, long time fan of the series and Martin's other works (though I've never read Wild Cards). Just picked up Warriors and am excitedly plowing through it.

I'm also the founder & editor of an online literature journal devoted to fantasy fiction. If you're interested, you can find my site in my signature.

Best,

L. Lambert Lawson

Hey guys, I'm Jake from Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm 18 and about to finish my senior year in high school. Been reading ASOIAF since 7th grade. I love books, especially sci fi and fantasy. I also like water polo (hence the nickname), math, and to a lesser extent, swimming.

Hey guys, I'm Jake from Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm 18 and about to finish my senior year in high school. Been reading ASOIAF since 7th grade. I love books, especially sci fi and fantasy. I also like water polo (hence the nickname), math, and to a lesser extent, swimming.

You really should make the switch to swimming, all the cool kids are doin it ;)

Oh I do swimming, it's just not as fun as water polo. Having 2 a days over Winter break with around 10000 yards a practice tends to dull my enthusiasm somewhat.

Ya, I'm often told I'm crazy for enjoying just swimming back and forth for hours, races make it worth it though.

Hi everyone,

I recently found this website and am so grateful. I missed so much upon my first reading of ASOIAF and this site lead me to re-read the series. I never caught things like R+L=J and many of the prophecies. I read the books pretty far apart and often didn't remember certain characters. I just wanted to thank all the people who've took the time to post and help other with the plot. Anyways, I'll keep reading and can hopefully contribute more once I re-read the series ;)

Sydow

Hm. I've wondered about this. Not you, specifically, but being the parent of a teenager who needs to read more. When is the right time to introduce ASOIAF?

Well, I suppose it would depend on how much your kid reads and how much he or she likes fantasy. I got into ASOIAF from seeing Jordan's blurb on the cover, and I got into Wheel of Time from Tolkien, so I had a fair amount of fantasy background. The mature subject matter shouldn't be a problem (going by my experience at least), but it'll depend on how much he or she likes looonng books, because I know some people I've introduced to the series have problems staying focused through all those pages.

Hi all,

My name's Tom. I used to post under the handle LannisterInSoul back in the EZ board days. It's been...5-6 years since I've been around these boards? I had my old account on this board too, but I've since forgotten what my password was, and what e-mail address I had it going to. :dunno: Oops, lol

Anyway, I look forward to perhaps chatting with some old friends again, and maybe even making a few new ones. :cheers:

Hm. I've wondered about this. Not you, specifically, but being the parent of a teenager who needs to read more. When is the right time to introduce ASOIAF?

I only started this series in grade 11 or 12 I think, by then I had read a lot of long series' of long books so I was prepped for that part. As for the graphicness/maturity level of the books, I had already read far more explicit books and had been desensitized. I would agree that it depends on age and what you want/are okay with them reading, and also on attention span. The first books I ever enjoyed were the Harry Potters, but I was gradually broken into those (had my dad reading them to me to begin with). They started as short and worked their way up to big, which I think helped. I've never read the Dunk and Egg stuff but maybe you could use that as a sampler?

Bottom line, if you're trying to get them to read more it needs to be a story that they love, so if they don't take interest let it drop and maybe they'll pick up the books in a couple more years. Anything I've been forced to read I've hated :)

I only started this series in grade 11 or 12 I think, by then I had read a lot of long series' of long books so I was prepped for that part. As for the graphicness/maturity level of the books, I had already read far more explicit books and had been desensitized. I would agree that it depends on age and what you want/are okay with them reading, and also on attention span. The first books I ever enjoyed were the Harry Potters, but I was gradually broken into those (had my dad reading them to me to begin with). They started as short and worked their way up to big, which I think helped. I've never read the Dunk and Egg stuff but maybe you could use that as a sampler?

Bottom line, if you're trying to get them to read more it needs to be a story that they love, so if they don't take interest let it drop and maybe they'll pick up the books in a couple more years. Anything I've been forced to read I've hated :)

Yeah, I'd agree, I was 15 when I first started reading the books and I think it was a good age to start at. I didn't feel traumatized nor especially surprised by the violence and I started reading more 'mature' books after that.

I didn't find the books until I'd just turned sixteen, but I think most fifteen year olds would be fine content wise. That being said, they're pretty damn intimidating, so I don't know if most fifteen year olds wouldn't balk too much at a thousand page book to really give them a shot.

Hi! My name's Jessica and I joined this forum because none of my friends will read the books, and I need someone to talk to about them. The sad truth is, I'm the only person in my circle of friends and family who really likes fantasy and science fiction -- they're all familiar with the giants like LOTR and Star Trek, but they won't pick up GRRM because they say the books are too thick. Oh well.

I'm from Philadelphia, but I live in Nashville now. I'm an English major and I go to school part-time because I work. I love comic books and some video games.

I listen to audio books eight hours a day while I'm at work, and right now I'm working my way through a few gigabytes of Terry Goodkind, just because it gives me the same sick satisfaction that I get from watching cheesy movies. The Sword of Truth series is like Commando, Roadhouse, Dead Heat and Octagon rolled into one. I'll need to listen to SoIaF after this, though.

I saw GRRM in Nashville when he opened his booktour for AFFC, and I couldn't believe how many people showed up. I didn't bother to wait hours in line to get my copy signed because I'm not that hardcore. But yeah, I'm obsessed with these books.

Hi! My name's Jessica and I joined this forum because none of my friends will read the books, and I need someone to talk to about them. The sad truth is, I'm the only person in my circle of friends and family who really likes fantasy and science fiction -- they're all familiar with the giants like LOTR and Star Trek, but they won't pick up GRRM because they say the books are too thick. Oh well.

I'm from Philadelphia, but I live in Nashville now. I'm an English major and I go to school part-time because I work. I love comic books and some video games.

I listen to audio books eight hours a day while I'm at work, and right now I'm working my way through a few gigabytes of Terry Goodkind, just because it gives me the same sick satisfaction that I get from watching cheesy movies. The Sword of Truth series is like Commando, Roadhouse, Dead Heat and Octagon rolled into one. I'll need to listen to SoIaF after this, though.

I saw GRRM in Nashville when he opened his booktour for AFFC, and I couldn't believe how many people showed up. I didn't bother to wait hours in line to get my copy signed because I'm not that hardcore. But yeah, I'm obsessed with these books.

Welcome to the boards! You'll need more than just a re-listen of SoIaF after going through the Sword of Truth series. I'd reccomend a full frontal lobotomy followed up by two or three curb stomps.. or at least a visit to the latest Goodkind thread here where the Lemmings can really tell you how to cleanse it out.

Hey folks,

Name's Valon. I'm 19 and from Howell, Michigan. I got into A Song of Ice and Fire about six months ago after having it highly recommended by some fellow forum goers on a different message board. Totally fell in love with it, and after I finished my first read through of the series, I only got through three books(Name of the Wind, Ender's Game and Let the Right One In), before I started another re-read. Currently on Clash now and loving it just as much as I did the first time.

Right now I'm a college student currently taking classes here and there while I figure out what I want to do. I'm also an amateur writer/movie critic and I also love to read. My Amazon Kindle came in the mail today and A Storm of Swords is going to be my first purchase(and I'm oh so looking forward to going through it yet again).

I joined because I'm becoming more and more obsessed with the series and figured I better start talking to people who don't mind about me never shutting up about the series. =P

Looking forward to getting to know you guys.