Introductions

Ran

Luce, you should post this in the Aussiecon or Aussies thread (or just start a new thread in the BwB subforum), because not many of us check this Introductions thread regularly. You should be able to get Cam, Jebus and Chris to come along as well as Inquisitor.

You should come to a BWB Norcal event. We have them sometimes.

We're always looking for kidneys.

:lol:

@Inquisitor: you're going to have to change your board username mate - the new nickname appears to be sticking...

I had to go and make my first joke on these boards about losing a kidney... Why couldn't it have been a joke about my dashing good looks or amazingly sharp intellect?

Attention Melbournites: Inquisitor and I probably met a couple of you on Friday/ Saturday, but we didn't actually meet each other. He wants to try a Lebo place in the city somewhere. Anybody keen? It's a while away, but I was thinking Friday 1 October. Jeremy, I will PM you cos not sure if you will check this again, plus, there are too many threads and I lose track as well!

Actually, I was thinking more of next weekend (not this upcoming one) or the weekend after that. Unfortunately, my time here in Australia is soon coming to an end... I'll probably be traipsing around New Zealand after that, then back off to San Francisco (where I'll be happy to meet the NorCal folks!).

In the meantime, I'm busy enjoying the fantastic weather here in Port Douglas. Enjoy stormy Melbourne, suckers!

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm, Hi. :rolleyes:

Hey! Glad you found this place. Not as warm and friendly as our "other" boards, but it's got a plethora of interesting threads.

I wasn't being cynical at all! I was absolutely shocked to find a friend from another board here.

The problem with written word is that sometimes regular conversation can be taken as sarcasm and vice versa. Don't sweat it, hun.

And, to be perfectly honest, clever and and cynical seem to be working out just great for me.

Me TOO!

Hey Susan :) /\-This was sort of out of context for us.It came across as more contempt like for "having" to be in an intro thread.Which was kind of weird cause no one "has" to intro themselves here. It's nice to do though.But now we know it wasn't a message to the board in general.Welcome muchly to the forums Susan Fox. Hope you have read all the books because as much as we try. Spoilers can be stumbled across.It does for most of us as well ;)edit for a missing (K)

Thanks, Saurian. Again, written responses are hard to quantify because you can't tell in what way it's intended. Thanks for the welcome, and I've been lurking for a while, but I'll be posting more.

I probably should have started an account and done an introduction, oh, three years ago (since that's how long I've been lurking).

I'm a writer. My first book, a co-write with my pal Daniel Abraham, comes out next year. When I'm not writing or playing way too much Xbox, I sometimes calculate the wind speed of dragons or the average marching speed of ten thousand eunuchs, for them what need to know such things.

I've been to one Brotherhood party, at the Denver Worldcon. Had a great time. Drank many gin and tonics. Hope to see you guys again at the Reno Worldcon.

Uh, that's it.

....I sometimes calculate the wind speed of dragons or the average marching speed of ten thousand eunuchs, for them what need to know such things.....

Welcome, Rex! What were your conclusions?

<--- needs to know such things.

:leaving:

Would that be an unladen swallow, or one carrying a coconut?

Stubby, given how the Unsullied are the "lock-step legions of Old Ghis come again", probably safe to say that something like the sustained Roman marching rate would be about right under optimal conditions (such as if using one of the old Valyrian straight roads), which comes out to about 16.5 miles a day, day in and day out, give or take.

I guess we have to wait until ADwD for how optimal conditions will prove to be.

Edited by Ran

Would that be an unladen swallow, or one carrying a coconut?

Stubby, given how the Unsullied are the "lock-step legions of Old Ghis come again", probably safe to say that something like the sustained Roman marching rate would be about right under optimal conditions (such as if using one of the old Valyrian straight roads), which comes out to about 16.5 miles a day, day in and day out, give or take.

I guess we have to wait until ADwD for how optimal conditions will prove to be.

I guess you could draw some conclusions by scaling this sort of image and measuring the stride length etc.

:blushing:

I always thought the Romans were a bit faster than that, but I suppose it's rather fast sustained.

Roman training marches carried out several times a month were expected to go at a rate of 20 Roman miles at the regulation pace, or 24 Roman miles at the quick pace, but those were one-off and it's not clear how sustainable those were over time.

A Roman mile is about 9/10ths of a statute mile, too, and some books on the subject don't make the distinction when discussing marching rates.

Roman training marches carried out several times a month were expected to go at a rate of 20 Roman miles at the regulation pace, or 24 Roman miles at the quick pace, but those were one-off and it's not clear how sustainable those were over time.

A Roman mile is about 9/10ths of a statute mile, too, and some books on the subject don't make the distinction when discussing marching rates.

20 miles is sustainable for a week, but I was not in fighting shape at the end of it. :P