Introductions

Ran

Thanks for welcoming me, Underfoot, Phantom!

Someone else using my same username and studying the same language is kinda weird...

And arabic is pretty difficult, true, but persian it's easier to study.

It has a less complicated grammar and the words not too difficult to vocalize.

Don't know farsi at all, I stopped at arabic :lol:

Vocalizing is pretty damn hard, yes. Especially ḥāʾ, Kha, gha and ayn. Which all sound like you're hacking up something fierce.

Hello! Been lurking for about a month and finally decided to join. Discovered ASOIAF last autumn and whizzed through all the books in about five weeks. Brilliant stuff.

I live in Wales, am not Welsh though, am 31 and have spawned two small people who take up most of my time. Some of my (now sadly dormant) interests include comic books, Greco-Roman antiquity, 19th-century literature, the French Revolution and really good coffee. Actually, that last one isn't dormant at all :blush:

So anyway...hi :cool4:

Why thank you, Mormont. I see you're in St Andrews. I went to uni in Edinburgh and always meant to visit St A. - never did though. I hear it's lovely :)

St Andrews is lovely, yes, but not as nice as Edinburgh (where I also went to uni :))

Hello everyone. I just joined today.

Just by chance I happened to see a preview for the HBO series. It looked interesting so I thought I would try to find some episodes to watch. Then I discovered that the series hasn't started yet, and that it was based on these books. So I immediately started reading them because I think it will be fun to compare once the show starts. I just finished A Game of Thrones this weekend and I'm just past the beginning of A Clash of Kings. Looks like I'll have to step lightly around the forums so I don't get spoiled about things. I loved the first book. I actually haven't read any fantasy before, not big into the other popular fantasy stories out there. So far nothing too outlandish has happened in this series, it all seems pretty realistic. Anyways I hope to participate in the forums quite often but as I said I'll have to try to finish the books ASAP so I can roam without fear of being spoiled.

Edited by BlackMetalBuick

Hey!

Well, I joined in November but I just stumbled across this thread today so, hello!

I just finished the 4 books (for the 2nd time) last week; I'm a huge fantasy/scifi fan; count BSG, LOST, ROME among my TV addictions; live in a country Newsweek famously called the most dangerous place in the world: Karachi, Pakistan; Work in advertising (tis a profession fit for the soulless, I fear) and to finish, am happily married and childless by choice.

:)

Hello, I have been reading here for quite some time so I suppose it's a good idea to introduce myself. I'm a 21 year old swede who is currently studying at the university to become a history teacher. I started reading the books about two years ago when I needed something to read during the long train rides when I did my mandatory military service and (of course since I'm writing this) started to like them quite a lot. Writing in english isn't something I am very good at (have no problem reading though) so i probably won't write so often on the board but hopefully that might change sometime in the future.

Edited by Björne

Hejsan, Björne!

Welcome to the forum, and don't worry too much about getting pitch-perfect English if you want to discuss the books -- we have quite a few international fans who do not have English as their first language. :)

Hy all. I just joined a couple days ago. I've actually never been a part of a forum befor. I'm afraid I'm behind my peers as far as being technologically savvy goes. I saw this forum and decided to give it a shot. I read this series for the first time just about the time aFfC came out, when urged by my father. I'm 21 now and have just finished it for the second time. I'm anxiously waiting A Dance with Dragons, and would like to keep the story fresh in my mind, so I figured this forum would help me do that. I'm having fun so far!

Hello. I started reading ASOIAF recently and am almost through book 2. It's not my favorite series ever but I must say it the most well written books I've ever read. My favorite POV is Tyrion, my favorite character is Hound. My least favorite character was Sansa, but she is growing on me.

I joined this forum to enhance my experience of the series. I look forward to posting with you all!

I've never been good with surprises. Shamelessly, I've even read some of the chapter teasers out for ADWD even though I am on book 2. I just can't help myself.

I really wouldn't do that. Particularly till you've finished book three. Trust me, there's one spoiler out there which will ruin that book for you.