Introductions

Ran

Hey everyone.

Brand new member of the forums (as you can see) and quite new to the website as well, I have to say I'm rather impressed with everything there is to find around here. Lots of interesting talks, lots of fascinating articles... and of course, I'd like to join the conversation :)

But since this is an Introduction thread, I should probably say a little more about myself: I'm a french student in Comparative Literature, working almost exclusively on Fantasy (which is pretty awesome). As you might already have guessed, I'll be working on HBO's A Game of Thrones this year... which is even more awesome, yeah!

Part of my project this year is to share it online, to see if a scientific approach to such a popular project can meet an audience outside the University. I feel a bit beaten to it, since there already has been an impressive number of really interesting articles linked on westeros.org, and even more wrote all over the web. Ah well, in the end it's more great material to work with!

Anyway, if you think that particular point of view might be interesting, feel free to drop by and read more about it.

I hope you'll find it worthy of your time... and if not, well, I'll see you on the forums: it seems I have quite a bit of catching up to do.

PS: While I'm pretty confident about my English, I realise my sentences might, sometimes, sound somewhat odd to a natuaral English speaker. I hope you won't find it too disturbing, I'm working on it :)

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for well, years now, but I decided to sign in only yesterday (or maybe it was the day before yesterday, I've been working so I'm not really sure).

I read the books when a good friend of mine lend them to me so I wouldn't get that bored staying in bed, a lot of years ago -and since then I've been waiting for DwD.

I still think I should have waited for the series to be complete before starting the reading: I see no fun in waiting years to know how things develop :)

Have a nice day, sometimes I get the time to write, sometimes I get busy enough and my social life reduces to ... well ... it gets tight and tiny and truly annoying so I really can't make promises about how much I'll move around.

L

Welcome everyone.

GoTreviews, where are you studying (if it's not a classified information)?

I'm quite surprised that a french university would let anyone work on fantasy. I wasn't under the impression that fantasy was seen as a worthy subject in university environment.

Anyway, your project looks very interesting! I'll be sure to read your blog (but not yet, as I still haven't watched the first 15 minutes :) )

kuroishi: This info is far from classified :) I'm studying in Paris IV, La Sorbonne. You're right tho, teachers have mixed feelings about Fantasy... When I told my research director what I wanted to work on, his reaction was hilarious: "Well... I don't know anything about it so... normally, I would send you to another teacher but... they won't know anything either, so you better do it with me."

I couldn't have hoped for more :D But things are changing. Even if there's not as much scientific material as there is in the US, people are working on these things. Anne Besson, for instance, has done quite a lot in the last years: http://modernitesmedievales.org/ (this one's in french).

And Eponine, thanks a lot for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed it. There's more here and more to come. Soon enough hopefully, I'd like to be done with the preview before the release of ep01 :)

So it's pretty obvious that I'm an asoiaf board noob, too. Glad to be here! Picked up the books at Christmas when I heard about the show coming to HBO, tore through them twice, and have become completely obsessed with all things ice and fire.

I'll do my best not to be a chronic lurker, but that's really my typical MO.

Oh, and I have a 16lb jack russell terrier who believes herself to be a direwolf.

Welcome, the maid of woodlynne. There are a number of busy subforums here, so you will have plenty of places to lurk about (if you so choose). Don't feel obliged to stay in the shadows, though. Enjoy the boards!

Thanks for the warm welcome... I've found the boards, wiki and citadel to be such an excellent resource - really looking forward to getting involved in the conversation. I'll be drinking a toast to all of Westeros tonight - wish I had some mead handy, though.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Avii and I am a huge AGOT fan. I just got into the series over the holiday season and it has quickly become my favorite book series of all time. So now that the premiere of the HBO show has just finished I thought now is a great time to join forum of like minded fans such as myself. I am looking forward to some great and deep conversations and just spending a lot of time with awesome people. Cheers and see you around the boards.

Hello all! I have been lurking around these forums for quite some time and thought I might go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Lindsay and I just finished my first read of the first four books (well I have one chapter left in AFfC, which I was trying to stretch out until Dance comes out, but not sure I will make it lol). Anyway, I have really enjoyed the series and now the first episode of the show and am really looking forward to more. I have never been so invested or affected by any other series. Although, ASoIaF is also my introduction into the fantasy genre, but I think it was the best place to start! I'm completely hooked and even interested in delving into some other fantasy series. Suggestions are welcome!

Hi Lindsay/Titan's Daughter-

Welcome. :) We have a forum for Literature where a lot of people get fantasy recommendations-- there are even some stickied threads with common/uncommon book recs, mostly for fantasy, since a lot of people find other authors of more "generic" fantasy disappointing after reading GRRM. Good luck finding something that will appeal to you, but there's a lot of good stuff out there. I definitely read more fantasy after reading GRRM than before and got a lot of good recs from this board.

Hi all, as a long time lurker, I thought it might be time to introduce myself, since I've found myself more and more reading you guys.

I'm french, 25, and I think I might have read the books maybe 6 or 7 times since I discovered them.

Well, I think that pretty much sums it up, and if you have any other question, just ask. Now I'll go bother you long timers on Gen chat...

edit : typo

Edited by toto93

Hi Lindsay/Titan's Daughter-

Welcome. :) We have a forum for Literature where a lot of people get fantasy recommendations-- there are even some stickied threads with common/uncommon book recs, mostly for fantasy, since a lot of people find other authors of more "generic" fantasy disappointing after reading GRRM. Good luck finding something that will appeal to you, but there's a lot of good stuff out there. I definitely read more fantasy after reading GRRM than before and got a lot of good recs from this board.

Thanks for the heads up about the Literature forum, Kat! I will definitely take a gander at it and see if anything piques my interest. Would really love to be reading DWD right now, but I guess I should consider myself lucky that I will not have to wait as long as many other readers have been waiting! Thanks again for the friendly welcome and the rec

Hello. I'm new. Or at least, I think I'm new. Did this place used to be an EZBoard? I know that the main forum for the series way back when, around or just before AFFC, was an EZBoard.

Yes, Westeros was on EZBoard until late 2005 when it moved over to this incarnation of the board, so welcome back.

Hi all, as a long time lurker, I thought it might be time to introduce myself, since I've found myself more and more reading you guys.

I'm french, 25, and I think I might have read the books maybe 6 or 7 times since I discovered them.

Well, I think that pretty much sums it up, and if you have any other question, just ask. Now I'll go bother you long timers on Gen chat...

edit : typo

Bienvenue sur le forum, toto93 (even if you have been lurking for a long time!) Enjoy the new non-lurking you.

I suppose I owe a post here too. Lurked for years, finally got around to registering to offer my scintillating, brilliant, and absolutely necessary comments on the first episode.

Hi, everybody! I promise to keep my pants on 98% of the time I'm posting.

We have a pretty liberal pants policy around here, so don't worry too much. Just make sure you are fully clothed in any pictures that you post of yourself (well, until October, anyway). Enjoy the boards!

Hello. I'm new. Or at least, I think I'm new. Did this place used to be an EZBoard? I know that the main forum for the series way back when, around or just before AFFC, was an EZBoard.

This place is older than even EZBoard (or so the legends go). It is older than time itself, some say. Welcome back.