Introductions

Ran

Hi. I'm Eric, and I get the feeling that this forum has probably seen an influx of new members lately. I also feel safe in assuming that like myself, many of the new members found their way here thanks to the new HBO series.

I'd classify myself as a sci-fi fan with a passing familiarity with fantasy-- I grew up reading Tolkien, SC Lewis, and Terry Brooks, mixed in with a TON of sci-fi.

Being a child of the 70's, sci-fi has always been my first love, and over the years, I kind of fell out of love with fantasy. I'd heard rumblings about A Song Of Ice And Fire, and how great it was, but I never thought of giving the books a try until catching the premier. After watching 2 episodes, I rushed out to the bookstore and grabbed A Game Of Thrones. Needless to say, I'm hopelessly hooked. The world Martin has created is amazing! What has drawn me in the most is his ability to create characters and situations that feel rooted in reality, which makes them much easier to identify with. And instead of being hit over the head with magic & monsters, hints of the fantastic are introduced to the reader gradually and subtly.

I'm brand-spankin' new to the world of Westeros, so I'm not really sure what to expect. I look forward to learning my way around this site, and to delving deeper into the book series.

-Eric

OK, OK. Hi, I'm your proudest new fl00b army recruit, and a fervent initiate of the Way of Myshkin.

What you have going on here is quite a nice place to have stumbled upon, and so far it's been a pleasure to observe (and on occasion chime in to) your lively debates.

Hello, I'm Chris from the UK. Fantasy is my favourite genre to read but I wasn't even aware of ASoIaF until the tv series (Terrible, I know), I bought the book the next day and devoured it in just over a week. I haven't got round to picking up the second novel yet, but I'm looking forward to it! Only one book in and I can tell this will become one of my favourite fantasy series of all time right up there with Gemmel books.

OK, OK. Hi, I'm your proudest new fl00b army recruit, and a fervent initiate of the Way of Myshkin.

What you have going on here is quite a nice place to have stumbled upon, and so far it's been a pleasure to observe (and on occasion chime in to) your lively debates.

The Goblin King is gonna be all over that avatar!

Howdy all. Have been contemplating joining this place for a bit and finally decided to take the plunge after I recently finished aSoS. Needed to find some place to vent. In a good way though. I originally started reading this series last year when looking for a new tool for procrastination after being recommended to it by a friend, haha. I took a while to really get into it and it was a bit intimidating but I stuck with it and ended up getting swept up in the feeling of it. To be honest though, it wasn't until I hit aSoS that I really began to get into the books and feel that invested. In any case, here I am.

Hope to see you all around. :)

A couple of questions:

1) Is there any way for me to default the font in my posts when I reply to Tahoma instead of the forum default? ...because I love Tahoma.

2) Why isn't there a subforum for "A Feast of Crows" when there are subforums for the first three books?

Hello Everyone!

You can call me TD for short. I am totally in love with the AsoIaF series, that I have converted 3 people to read the book, and they haven't put it down.

My favorite characters at this point have to be Davos Seaworth and Ser Jaime Lannister. Great characters!!!

Welcome to the board wraith.

Buckle your seatbelt if you're still reading, you're in for a wild ride! Just be careful which subforums you visit as some of them are pretty spoilerish. :)

Thanks man. B)

Yeah, navigating the forum is kinda like playing Hop-Scotch in a mine field: spoiler bombs everywhere! The spoiler warnings have worked well so far, though.

Hello! I'm Hady (not a Heidi, though) and I'm still in university. ASoIaF is more or less the only fantasy I read and the only problem I have is recognising the names of locations on the board (I haven't read the original, just a translation). I usually dislike races and creatures but Martin introduces them with... uh, 'grace' isn't the right word... that even I love the story, every word of it.

I currently want to re-read the books, unfortunately, I shouldn't even start before my exams are over.

Hello! I'm Hady (not a Heidi, though) and I'm still in university. ASoIaF is more or less the only fantasy I read and the only problem I have is recognising the names of locations on the board (I haven't read the original, just a translation). I usually dislike races and creatures but Martin introduces them with... uh, 'grace' isn't the right word... that even I love the story, every word of it.

I currently want to re-read the books, unfortunately, I shouldn't even start before my exams are over.

Добре дошла, Hady!

It took me a while to get used to the English versions of the names and places, but a few re-reads of the series in original helped a lot. Now I can barely remember misbegotten translations like "Джайм" and etc. :).

Have fun on the board and good luck with your exams.

P.S. I think 'grace' is precisely the word I would use too.

Hi I found this forum about 2 weeks ago and joined yesterday. Very new to the whole fandom, just catching up. Ordered my books from amazon and looking forward to reading them this weekend on vacation. Look forward to talking with everyone.