Introductions

Ran

Oh wow, I should have looked more closely, I only now realized that this thread existed.

My name's Chris. I'm a college grad in Reno, NV who works for a contracting firm directed toward power plants (mostly nuclear). I only recently read ASOIAF, but I loved it! And I came up with a whole bunch of theories in my head as I was reading and I then came hereto see if anyone else shared my theories. So far, a few people have agreed. :wideeyed:

Oh wow, I should have looked more closely, I only now realized that this thread existed.

My name's Chris. I'm a college grad in Reno, NV who works for a contracting firm directed toward power plants (mostly nuclear). I only recently read ASOIAF, but I loved it! And I came up with a whole bunch of theories in my head as I was reading and I then came hereto see if anyone else shared my theories. So far, a few people have agreed. :wideeyed:

Welcome to the boards, Chris! :cheers:

Are you going to WorldCon? It's not often that one happens in one's city of residence. :)

Are you going to WorldCon? It's not often that one happens in one's city of residence. :)

I'm not sure yet honestly. I just can't decide... I've never gone to one before, but it does look interesting. I'm just not sure that I want to spend the money. :dunno:

Hello I am Jac, a medical student from London, UK with a love for reading. Especially fantasy, and as you can tell, Steven King. I read GRRM's books a couple of years ago after someone recommended them, didn't like aGoT but persevered and loved aCoK. I've joined this site as the glorious new TV series reminded of how fascinating the story is. I also used the old WoTmania and new RAFO websites very sporadically.

In RL I row and play rugby. I support Quins and thus am filled with joy at their recent win over Stade Francais. I also run and sing in various choirs, groups and productions and apparently hate spare time and sleep so I'm spending the time I should be revising/resting on here reading people's great theories.

Jac xx

Hi

I just found the forums recently. I've always been a voracious reader of almost anything, but my fantasy reading was pretty much limited to Tolkien and CS Lewis. Most others disappointed me - either limited character development, weak plots, blatantly pirating LoTR, etc. Apparently I hadn't been reading the right fantasy authors. I discovered the HBO series by chance about a month before the premiere. It looked interesting, so I set up the DVR and decided to read the books before the series started. I've just finished AFFC.

I've been really impressed by GRRM's writing. Loved all the books, and I'm finding a lot of interesting stuff on the forums; I'm looking forward to reading more.

The forum name Alais is Alais Capet (sometimes spelled Alys). Daughter of Louis VII of France, betrothed to Richard the Lionhearted, sent to England when she was 7. Richard didn't marry her - when she was 12 or 13 she became his father's (Henry II) mistress and may or may not have borne him a child. Her story has always interested me, and reminds me a bit of some of the female characters in ASoIaF.

I joined the forums a few years ago looking for more information on A Dance with Dragons. I've stopped in from time to time to read the rumors and enjoy the various theories, but I never posted. I enjoy the community, so perhaps I'll start posting more.

Welcome, Hombre. "Perhaps" nothing! Look, you've already started! There is no turning back now.

Hello I am Jac, a medical student from London, UK with a love for reading. Especially fantasy, and as you can tell, Steven King. I read GRRM's books a couple of years ago after someone recommended them, didn't like aGoT but persevered and loved aCoK. I've joined this site as the glorious new TV series reminded of how fascinating the story is. I also used the old WoTmania and new RAFO websites very sporadically.

In RL I row and play rugby. I support Quins and thus am filled with joy at their recent win over Stade Francais. I also run and sing in various choirs, groups and productions and apparently hate spare time and sleep so I'm spending the time I should be revising/resting on here reading people's great theories.

Jac xx

Welcome, Jac. I have heard many medical students complain about never having any free time. After reading your introductory post, I can confidently sneer at the next one who does. So thanks. Enjoy whatever time you can spare for the board!

Hi

I just found the forums recently. I've always been a voracious reader of almost anything, but my fantasy reading was pretty much limited to Tolkien and CS Lewis. Most others disappointed me - either limited character development, weak plots, blatantly pirating LoTR, etc. Apparently I hadn't been reading the right fantasy authors. I discovered the HBO series by chance about a month before the premiere. It looked interesting, so I set up the DVR and decided to read the books before the series started. I've just finished AFFC.

I've been really impressed by GRRM's writing. Loved all the books, and I'm finding a lot of interesting stuff on the forums; I'm looking forward to reading more.

The forum name Alais is Alais Capet (sometimes spelled Alys). Daughter of Louis VII of France, betrothed to Richard the Lionhearted, sent to England when she was 7. Richard didn't marry her - when she was 12 or 13 she became his father's (Henry II) mistress and may or may not have borne him a child. Her story has always interested me, and reminds me a bit of some of the female characters in ASoIaF.

Welcome, Alais. I am certain that it is no coincidence that Alais Capet's story reminds you of some of the female characters in the story. Mr. Martin loves his European history, and has used his extensive reading in this area to inform the reality of life in Westeros. You can find him speaking to this in his own words in the extensive So Spake Martin collection on the main website. You may need a few days to get through it all, though.

Hello, I'm a new Song of Ice and Fire fan. Ever since I saw the first episode of Game of thrones I've been hooked, I had to go out and buy the books, which I've now read, despite having exams in less than a month! I'm really quite interested in talking to other fans of the books, since most of my friends that have seen the HBO show haven't read the books and I have to be careful not to accidently throw spoilers out there. It would be lovely to be able to ask "Why is it Sean Bean always gets killed early on?" or say how much I adore Jon Snow without someone talking about how hot the actor is (which he is but thats not the point!)

So yeah, hello :D

I joined this board back in '06. Been lurking for awhile. Now I figured I would introduce myself.

I started this series years ago. But I am terrible with series and only read GOT.

Now I am back to the series full steam and am almost finished with the series. My wife reads GRRM too and she is further along than I.

Heath

Hello. I am a father of five who has spent the last 30 years playing more wargames and roleplaying games and reading too little. Now i am reversing that and rereading the SoIaF in anticipation of the new book. My wife has read them and my 16 year old is on Feast. I have belonged to many gaming forums, but never a book forum. This is different and it is nice to argue when there is no clear answer. Kind of like philosophy or politics.

I still play Warmachine and if any of you are in Seattle and want to have a drink, I will be there for Privateer Press' big event next month.

I'm not sure yet honestly. I just can't decide... I've never gone to one before, but it does look interesting. I'm just not sure that I want to spend the money. :dunno:

This was how I felt about ConJose, back in the day (2002). I eventually decided not to go, despite it being an hour drive. One of the worst decisions I ever made. Figured that out the next year and flew to Toronto and had a great time. Our parties are not to be missed. If you have to drive home after the party, make sure to tell the bartender BEFORE he/she starts feeding you drinks.

And welcome to everyone else in the thread!

Edited by Bronn Stone

Hey all, I'm Buster and I found A Song of Ice and Fire through a trailer to the HBO series. Later that day I downloaded the Game of Thrones eBook on my Kindle. Currently reading A Clash of Kings and watched the first episode of the series today, will probably join in with the roleplay at some point, but all of my free time seems to be spent reading the books. :read:

Edited by Buster

Hi there!

I belong to a few other forums on the internet. I started watching the Game of Thrones series and a friend of mine told me about this forum. I'm glad they did. I have been pacing myself reading the book only enough to be current with the episode that is next in line to view. I'm enjoying both the series and the book very much. I've read several of the posts here and I'm truly amazed at the quantity and the quality of the discussions. Glad I found you all!