Introductions

Ran

Hello everyone. Big fan of the Genre but only recently came upon ASoIaF and have been hooked ever since. Currently Reading ADWD and needed more like minded fans of the series to "dish" with. Figured I would spare my GF the need to pretend to be interested in my nerdgasms and join these fine forums.

Cheers!

Hello!

Anders is my name, from Sweden (which of course is the capitol of Oslo), new to the whole forum thing but not new to aSoIaF, bought the first books back in 2001.

I get bored at work sometimes so i thought i would join up here and read and write stuff.

Been a member for a few weeks now and i think i´ve already hit a few nerves, been called a fl00b(!?) (i must be old, or bad at english), accused of being rude and silly and been active in a closed down yeard-thread.

You gotta love the internet :)

Hi, I'm Kirsi - a 30-something female from Finland. I'm mostly a lurker at all forums I go to, but perhaps I'll start posting as well, you never know. :)

I'm new to this series - but why, I'll never know. I read a lot and I don't know why I haven't read these books before. They are amazing! I also like RPGs like Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls series. Anything that feeds my imagination. In that sense I've never grown up, I guess.

Hey folks! Like Lilith, I am waaaaaay old from the boards (circa 2005), and the account was connected to my job where I was working at the time (in the gaming industry... tabletop miniature wargames, in fact). After many, many moons away, I am finally back, am reading ADWD feverishly, and have a new job (again,in the gaming industry, but on the distributor side now).

I recognize a few names here and there, like Xray the Enforcer (who could forget that name!!!), but my memory fails me on most. And I know a couple of the members have heard me sing in public (you know who you are...). Please feel free to pop in with a "Hi!" if I might seem familiar. My sincere apologies if I cannot return the favor... :(

In any case, it's wonderful to be back! :)

--Theon.

Hey folks! Like Lilith, I am waaaaaay old from the boards (circa 2005), and the account was connected to my job where I was working at the time (in the gaming industry... tabletop miniature wargames, in fact). After many, many moons away, I am finally back, am reading ADWD feverishly, and have a new job (again,in the gaming industry, but on the distributor side now).

I recognize a few names here and there, like Xray the Enforcer (who could forget that name!!!), but my memory fails me on most. And I know a couple of the members have heard me sing in public (you know who you are...). Please feel free to pop in with a "Hi!" if I might seem familiar. My sincere apologies if I cannot return the favor... :(

In any case, it's wonderful to be back! :)

--Theon.

Welcome Back!!! Folks in tttne will be glad to see ya!

Hello. My name's Robert. I discovered ASoIaF because of HBO's Game of Thrones. I read the first book along with the series (keeping just ahead of every episode) and am now midway through ADwD.

The Martells are my favorite house, and so I fashioned a title and a sigil for myself.

I post under the name rsreed13 on a few other sites, notably No BS Boxing which I help moderate and IMDB.

I look forward to discussing ASoIaF with all of you.

Hello everyone! I'm Brittny. 30 years old. I'm from Texas in the USA. I'm an actress in local theater and a teacher.

I discovered this forum because of the HBO Game of Thrones series. I was initially too intimidated to join. I joined a smaller forum. I thought 15 years of fandom would be overwhelming. This site probably hasn't existed that long but you know what I mean.

My friend told me about the A Song of Ice and Fire book series a couple of years before the HBO series aired but I was reluctant because I'm a Robert Jordan reader. The first questions I ask when people recommend a fantasy series are, "How many books are there?" and "Is the series finished?" Aside from Robert Jordan I've also enjoyed Robin Hobb's Assassin/Liveship Traders Trilogies, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. I've read a bit but not all of The Sword of Truth Series, Abarat and His Dark Materials.

When Lena Headey was cast I decided that I wouldn't read the books but I WOULD watch Game of Thrones on HBO. Problem was, I didn't have HBO. My friend sent me a promo video and Tyrion was on there. It was love at first sight! No access to the show, never read a word of the book and I said to my friend, "I think I'm in love with that dwarf guy." So... I decided to finally read book one until I had access to the show. Then I'd drop the books and continue to watch as it aired. Ha.

I got a little way into A Game of Thrones when I suddenly found a way to watch the show. I didn't want to spoil the book so I started this frantic read/watch ... thing... where I'd frantically read the book far enough to NOT spoil myself when I watched an episode. There were some spoilers but for the most part I read all the big shockers before I watched them. Still I think I probably should have read the entire book before watching. My first impressions of the book are all jumbled up with the show now.

I started reading/watching A Game of Thrones in May and now it is the end of July and I've just finished A Dance with Dragons. I'm completely obsessed. Yay Kindle! I prefer hard copies but it was so wonderful to mourn and then immediately start reading the next book. My favorite character is TyrionArya. It's too difficult to pick just one. Tyrion owns me. I wish I were Arya. She's so awesome.

With this series... all the characters are so interesting, even the characters I hate. So it's very difficult to narrow it down.

Hi everyone, I'm Nicephorus, faithful and leal fan of George R.R. Martin for 7 years now.

I lurked a bit on this board a few years ago and thought I might join once the next book was released and now, o joy, this day has come !

Looking forward to discussing loony theories and various other topics...

Greetings and salutations.

I've been reading these boards for a while and I can't believe it took me this long to join. Finally. Um, I'm 23 and from Slovenia, forever lamenting the fact I was out of the country when GRRM was here and my books remain woefully unsigned. Woe.

I read the first four books around '07 I think, after someone recommended me the first one, felt slightly intimidated about reading the other three in English as they hadn't been translated yet but it was clearly the right decision to make and four years later, here I am in a wonderful world where Dance has been released and there's an HBO series. That was a long sentence.

Hi.

Hi, I'm John from USA, caught the HBO premiere and got sucked into the depths of this fantasy world. By episode six it became too hard to wait even a week to see where the story went, so I blitzed my way through the all the books. Now I have to suffer the wait like everyone else. It's hard to imagine, to have been patient with the series for a decade and half. This world is something of a swift obsession, I'm on my second read yet tapping my foot for WoW-- I'll have blacksmith's arm of the leg before I know it. Anyways, good to be here, already had some great interpretative reads here of which there seems no short supply.

Hi everyone, I should have probably stopped here first when I made this account, but I didn't...

But I am here now!

I am Caek, yes, you can call me that. No, it is not my real name, but I like it. To be honest, I am like a lot of people, I just recently heard about GRRM from my fiance and picked the books up a few months back. I am actually 1/3 of the way through ADwD. I have to say that before I read GRRM, I was a big fantasy fan. I've read all of Tolkiens' work along with C.S. Lewis and a slew of other lesser known writers. At one point in time I pictured myself becoming a writer and wrote for a while for a few gaming websites and did some short stories here and there; however, writers block has hit me some time ago and I have not been able to get over it. So I stopped.

I hope everyone is enjoying the series as much as I am. Although I am pretty sure you all are since you are here striving to learn more tidbits about this series we have come to love.

~Cheers!

Caek

Hello everyone! I'm Brittny. 30 years old. I'm from Texas in the USA. I'm an actress in local theater and a teacher.

<trimmed>

I got a little way into A Game of Thrones when I suddenly found a way to watch the show. I didn't want to spoil the book so I started this frantic read/watch ... thing... where I'd frantically read the book far enough to NOT spoil myself when I watched an episode. There were some spoilers but for the most part I read all the big shockers before I watched them. Still I think I probably should have read the entire book before watching. My first impressions of the book are all jumbled up with the show now.

<more trimmed>

That sounds like a really intriguing way to be introduced to the world of GRRM. Perhaps unsettling as you bounced between media, but a great way to supplement your imagined views of people and places while you read the books. I have read AGOT many, many times over the years, but the TV series changed my last re-read in terms of how I perceived a few characters - especially Ser Jorah and Viserys.

Welcome to you and all the newcomers in the thread.

Dornishman 89 here. I'm a 22 year old graduate student in South Carolina. I first got interested in fantasy back in middle school, when I found my parents' old LOTR paperbacks on their bookshelf. Since then, I've also become a major fan of Harry Potter and Wheel of Time, and I've read some of Fiest, Sanderson, Howard, and various other authors. I first heard about ASOIF on a Wheel of Time site a few years ago, and just recently brought the first three books in the series. I've just finished A Clash of Kings and plan to start on A Storm of Swords sometime soon :)

Besides fantasy, I'm also in to SF, both science-fantasy stuff like Star Wars and authors like Clarke and Asimov. I'm really into History as well-of all kinds, but I probably know the most about the Middle East and post-1500 Europe. (My favorite countries to read about are the "Mediterranean"-ones, both Muslim and Christian. This incidentally, is where my username comes from, since Dorne is the most "Mediterranean" of Martin's lands). I'm also really into music-classic rock, Middle Eastern, and Celtic are probably my three favorite genres, though by no means the sum total of what I listen to.

Edited by Dornishman89