Introductions

Ran

Welcome! I advise staying out of all of the book forums (except the "still reading" ones) until you catch up on the series. You don't want anything ruined.

Thanks! T'is a bit late for me though, especially considering that I found the forum by way of the wiki.

:D

Thanks! T'is a bit late for me though, especially considering that I found the forum by way of the wiki.

:D

That's how I found it! I was trying to find the Dothraki saying "My sun and stars" and found this site. I can't believe I didn't know it existed until now. Man, I could have used this place to debate, ponder, and discuss this series all this time! :bang:

Well, anyway, I'm here now and I can't wait to experience this phenomenon with you all! :D

Hi folks, newbie from Oz here.

I'd never heard of this series but my interest was sparked by a story in our Sydney Morning Herald newspaper on the HBO TV series (starting August here in Oz) and the fact five people have remarked how much the pic on the cover of Sean Bean looks like my OH, Warwick, and indeed - it is uncanny. Warwick has darker and thicker eyebrows, and he's somewhat fatter(!) than Sean Bean, but those are the only differences I can see. And at the moment he is just growing his 'winter beard' so even has the requisite bit of stubble!

And after studying RR Martin's website I realised I do have one of his books: Dying of the Light, which has always been one of my perennial faves and gets re-read annually. Makes me even keener to read more now!

I'll be buying the books and, when they're available here, the DVDs. Look forward to chatting with you all.

Hey there, I'm Lewka, or Rax/Raxie, whichever you prefer. Very big A Song of Ice & Fire fan for some time now, it wasn't until recently I came across this wonderful hub for information and chatter with other fellow fans. I was enjoying reading all the wonderful posts until it occurred to me I'd like to be part of this community and post as well! So here I am. Pleasure to meet you all.

Hello all,

I am a newbie to the site but not to the books. I originally read the series in 2005 on the recommendation from a friend and got hooked immediately. This past year, I got my husband into the series and then a few months later the show came out on HBO so it has been nice to have another shared fantasy world together. I began to reread the series this past June in preparation for ADWD, and it was great picking up things I missed the first time around.

I am a Middle School English teacher so I have some time on my hands before school starts and thought I would join the forum. I have seen the site before, but I resisted the urge to join because I used to moderate on another fantasy website and know how time consuming posting can be. :laugh:

Glad to be here!

~LadyKnight

Welcome Shek, Eithne and Lewka!

Hope you enjoy the place.

And it's good to see someone reading that SMH article, Eithne. ;)

Thanks! I wad addicted to the show LOST and was so bummed when it ended last year. A friend recommended ASOIAF and I was hooked immediately. It quickly became my new addiction. :D

I'm a 30 yr old nursing student in NY. This is my first experience reading fantasy novels, but has easily become one of my favorite series. GRRM is truly talented. :bowdown:

I see now. I met like 4 of the people on here. So far... assholes... but what else can you expect from the internet? It is the thing that's in right now, isn't it? Being a dick. It is fine, I forgive all of you because my heart is so large it cannot contain my love for all.

I see now. I met like 4 of the people on here. So far... assholes... but what else can you expect from the internet? It is the thing that's in right now, isn't it? Being a dick. It is fine, I forgive all of you because my heart is so large it cannot contain my love for all.

Could you expound upon this? It is very cryptic and confusing.

And welcome?

No, I don't need to expand on that. And thank you for the question mark welcome. :)

You don't need to do anything. But it sounds like you had some negative experience here or something and I don't know how to address that under such inscrutable circumstance. Anyway, welcome!

Hello all :)

I got into the series very recently. Saw it in a bookshop, bought it, read it obsessively, and finished the first four books. I haven't been able to get my hands on a Dance with Dragons yet, though. My favourite character hands-down is Sansa <3

Greetings! Glad to see I'm not the only new person flocking to the site. Like some but not all, I started reading the books after watching the series. I'm about a third of the way through A Feast for Crows, and am conflicted between wanting to fly through the rest of the books and never wanting them to end!

Random sidebar, I am glad to see one of the Mods has the username Stubby because that is my cat's name. Who I now call Ser Stubby, naturally. One day I hope to have a Stubby warg dream. Fingers crossed.

Like MJasper, I love Sansa! Although I could never choose a favorite. Bronn rules though.

Okay, I haven't done the whole internet fan forum thing in several years, so let's see if I remember how this goes. This is the introduction thread, so I suppose I best start by introducing myself!

My name is not actually Jenny, it's Heather, but for some reason I really find Jenny of Oldstones intriguing, and was really surprised the username wasn't taken. Anyway, one day about three months ago I saw A Game of Thrones on my mom's dining room table. The synopsis sounded interesting, but I resisted because I knew a big fantasy series = major time commitment. I couldn't stop thinking about the book, and read some more about the series online. Then EW started covering the TV show like it was the greatest thing since manna from Heaven, and I caved. I'm weak like that.

After I barreled through the books I quickly realized how bad my Ice and Fire addiction had become, and since none of my friends have gone down the rabbit hole with me I turned to the internet to see if anyone else shares my crazy theories and concerns for characters' fates. I'm happy to see a range of debatable subjects both serious and silly and people that understand the need to break awkward silences by yelling out, "Stark! Stark! King in the North!"

My name is not actually Jenny, it's Heather, but for some reason I really find Jenny of Oldstones intriguing, and was really surprised the username wasn't taken.

I feel you. I did much the same. Be careful, no one calls me Heather John anymore.