Introductions

Ran

Hi there,

a Belgian woman joining you ;-)

I became a fan thanks to the show (and to HBO :bowdown: ) and began reading the books about a month ago. I just began rereading because I went too fast (and lost lots of "details" in the process.

I'm a major fan of Thyrion, Jaime, Brienne and Daenerys (though I like all the characters actually, even the worst ones are great to hate).

Sorry for my English (writing is not always easy, I'd rather read it or speak it!)

Angel (yup, that's my name, though shortened :rolleyes: )

Hey everyone,

My name is Kelley, I'm 24, and I'm new to both the series and this forum, and George R.R. Martin himself. I'm actually not typically drawn to fantasy reading (though movies and television shows are a different story...), but around the end of September my husband started telling me about this show on HBO called Game of Thrones. Neither of us had ever seen or heard about it until my husband stumbled across a trailer somewhere online and thought it looked like something we'd both be interested in, so we got a hold of the first season and watched the first episode together. From the very second I heard the phrase "White Walker," I was obsessed. My husband, on the other hand, hated every minute of it and refused to continue watching the series with me. I was so excited about it that I managed to watch all 10 episodes by myself in two days - I even got up at 4:00AM so I would have time to watch before my three year old got up in the morning. After finishing season one so quickly and learning season two isn't scheduled to air until this coming Spring, I was yearning for a fix so I went a bought the books. All I can really say is that I've had absolutely no life outside of this series since I began reading. My husband is constantly nagging me about it, my sister is angry with me for not coming over for playdates every week like I used to, and I've become so enraptured that I forgot to do my homework (I'm a college student) three or four times. It's really taken over my life! I'm about three-quarters of the way through A Feast for Crows and am reading very slowly so that I might savor it, as I rue the day I finally finish A Dance of Dragons and have nothing to immediately look forward to. I know there's plans for a sixth and seventh book but when I read the copyright info in A Feast for Crows, I saw Mr. Martin definitely took his time in producing his fifth entry.

In any case, I love this series - I haven't felt this consumed by anything since I discovered The Vampire Chronicles in middle school, haha - and I'm excited to have found a place like this to celebrate and discuss it with others who value it as the masterpiece it really is.

oh, i just found this thread! Hello everyone :)

im moey and just finished ADWD. i've been lurking here for awhile and am really impressed with all the nice theories. i am a jon snow, arya, bran and sandor fan and i hope jaime and brienne will end up together somehow (i know!! im a sucker for love stories like that). and i might make myself unpopular with this statement now, but i dont like tyrion.

anyways, i'm looking forward to all the interesting discussions :)

Hi !

First, sorry for my English, I'm French.

I started to read the books in July and I have nearly finish a Feast for Crows. But I think I will re-read the books, I was too fast and because of the language I must have lost some important thing.

I'm glad to have found this forum because all my friends or family have only seen the show so I can't discuss with them T_T

Edited by Neriwyn

Hi, I'm new here. Just posted a few times before I found this thread. Also: it seems that the majority of the topics I want to reply to are locked. What to do about that?

EDIT: They seem to be locked for no reason... I don't notice flame wars or trolling. I would like to continue those discussions but I can't. o_o;

Edited by Robert's Bastard

Greetings to this forum of ice and fire and it's denizens. I am an avid fan of A Song of Ice and Fire since the HBO series first broadcasted. I'm now on a Dance With Dragons. Big fan of the story so far. Truth be told, one of my favorite characters is Darkstar, for he is Darkstar, but for a more contemporary character, Barristan Selmy will do. I'm a retail slave by profession, and an aspiring corpse by hobby. I hope to get to know some of you and contribute to the discussions as best I can!

Hey all I'm Bridge. 31yrs and been peeking around the site for a few months. I'm a pretty late starter with asoiaf only started reading after the HBO series finished. Since then I powered through the books and have just started a re-read and am half way through AGOT again. I'm a pretty standard nerd into Batman, Star Wars, David Lynch and Mike Patton.

So yeah just thought I'd say hi

Hi there, I'm Skeksi (or, Emma in RL, feel free to call me that, but it's such a damn common name it's probably easier to go with Skeksi).

I've been a fairly avid fantasy reader for a few years- Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) and Malazan Book of the Fallen (Steven Erikson) are probably the two authors I read the most from over the past few years. I've not read as much for the past few years as I'd like, as I spent the last four years (until this July just gone) doing a degree in Maths. Fun times... Anyway, I'm now seeking employment, and spending the rest of my time reading and internet-ing.

I've been hearing about A Song of Ice and Fire for years now, and have kept meaning to read them. When I saw that a series based on the first book was coming out, I decided it was time to stop making excuses and read the thing. So, bought a copy of "A Game of Thrones", read it, loved it, started on "Clash of Kings" whilst I was watching the series. My boyfriend, who doesn't usually like fantasy, watched the series with me, loved that, and is now reading the series with me. I'm up to "Feast for Crows", he's up to "Storm of Swords- Book 1" (I don't know if Storm of Swords is divided into two parts in all it's editions?).

Anyway, yeah, I love the books. I love that it's unpredictable, and that it tries to be realistic and avoid typical fantasy cliches. I love how, even when beloved characters die, there's such a wealth of other awesome characters that there's always a reason to keep reading. I'm looking forward to the last two books of the series, and really hope this trend continues- I love not being able to predict how a story will play out, and ASOIAF is one of the best books for that, IMO.

Hmmm... what else... Well, my favourite characters are Varys and Littlefinger (Not that I'm a sucker for puppetmaster-type characters, no, not at all...). I'm also a big fan of Tyrion, Arya and Asha. I should add, these are just characters I enjoy reading and am rooting for... I make no claim that they are morally good characters. I'm a pretty terrible person when it comes to my fictional characters, it seems.

Really nice to find this forum, and I look forward to discussing the series :)

Oh, just found the thread!

hey guys, I'm from Greece and it's really cool to find people to discuss ASOIAF because I have met literally no one who has read it!

So, I read some years ago the comic and the story "Hedge Knight" and the short story "Ice Dragon" but I always thought I wouldn't really like ASOIAF, thinking it like one more LOTR clone.

LOTR was the top and best series ever until I read ASOIAF, after seeing the HBO series. Now, I consider them equals really. I read the books in, I think, nine days and I'm not going to praise it more cause I know you all love it! My favourite male characters are Jon Snow, Rob Stark and Oberyn Martell (hoping Jon will not end up dead too!) and female Arya. (I started liking Dany but sometimes she pisses me off!)

Hello everyone,

I'm a fantasy fan whose been meaning to read ASOIAF for a while and finally got round to it thanks to the show. I got completely hooked having read all the books in the past few weeks and am planning on starting the Dunk and Egg stories as soon as I can get my hands on them :read:

Thought I'd join the forum as I'm now kinda obsessed with these books :D

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on the forums however, I've been lurking for awhile and I figured I should introduce myself.

My given name is Jenn but Tempus or Tempy is fine. I live in SLUT, I work the girnd every week while juggling family and reading is my escape from this pugatory we call life. Fantasy is my favorite genre and I was never able to get into ASoIaF eventhough I had received many recomendations for it. So, I can't say I've always been a fan. I can say that when HBO released the series realized I never really gave AGoT a chance.

So, the seson ended and there I was jonesing for more. I went out and picked up the series or whats been published so far and I've just finished up with ADWD. It seems GRRM has put a spell on me, not that I mind but, I can now say that I am a huge fan, wee bit addicted and can't wait for TWoW.

Anyhow, as I had started to explain, I've been lurking on the forums for awile I stumbled upon the site trying to get answers to questions that had crossed my mind while reading the series. Not only did I find the answers to the questions I had been looking for but I found new theories and questions like R+L=J that I hadn't even thought of! It's exciting to have found the forum, a place I can share passion with people who enjoyed ASoIaF and who would understand why a question like "What is the birthstone of September" would provoke a response from me of "Thapphireth! "

Well, enough of my rambling, nice to have found ya'll!