Introductions

Ran

Hi... I originally became an ASOIAF fan with the series on screen but quickly became a total addict when I took to the books. Can't get enough of it so the forum has beckoned and I believe that it will be the only thing to get me through the waiting periods between TV seasons and any subsequent books.

My current favorite characters are Arya, Tyrion, Sansa, Jon Snow and the Hound.

The name is Vernon, and I was born a hero. That's only half true. I'm a former US Marine and a third generation servicemen. I got into the whole Club Westros after watching two episodes of GoT and at a good friend's urging. It's hard for me to believe that I've dedicated so much of my non college studytime to reading thousand page books of fictional dysfuncional people in a middle age setting with hardly any black people. Fortunatly, the BWB has shown me that I am still crazy but not alone. If you want to talk about the books series, of which I've recently joined the growing club of Waiters, you don't have to worry about spoilers. Drop me a line any reasonable time and remember two important things: coffee and bacon prove that God loves us and TANSTAAFL.

Hello everyone from a long time lurker from Croatia!

There's so many stuff in here that I haven't picked up from the books, not to mention all sort of theories that wouldn't occur to me in million years, so I will probably spend here the next three years, till the WoW comes out. So thanks for that! :cool4:

Also, thanks for saving my weekend from boredom! (I've found some good recommendations for other readings here.) :bowdown:

:thumbsup: for good work!

Wow, a big weekend for intros!

A hearty welcome to Blue Walker, Benethon Stark, Lady Octarina, Ladywhiskers, Wisteria, Lady Greeneyes, Yvonesan, SI Monster, Alex the Andal and Orestes. :cheers:

I see we have people from Rio, Croatia, Florida and elsewhere.

SI Monster – there is a contingent of marines that knock around this place. I’m sure you’ll run into them.

To all – enjoy the place! :)

Hey, I'm new! You can tell by the lack of an avatar and the fact that I'm posting in this thread! :P

I got introduced to the books by hearing about the oh so critically acclaimed tv series, but I haven't actually watched any of it yet, I prefer to read the books first. So yeah since I had two months off and nothing better to do with my time I finished reading the series today. Awesome stuff. You know that feeling you get after you've read a REALLY good book and then no other books feel like they can compare? I'm totally gonna have that now. Had it after reading WoT too, pre-Sanderson anyway.

Oops, I'm rambling. Anyway I'm from South Africa, yep, people in Africa actually read, and we even have electricity (mostly)! And contrary to popular belief lions don't roam the streets. I very recently finished high school and will be studying psychology soon for like 7 years. -sigh- Uhm, what else? I hate sports, all kinds. I love reading. I'm sarcastic, cynical and pessimistic ie. every second person between 17 and 22. Oh and my favourite character is Arya. What can I say, I have a soft spot for emotionally scarring back stories leading to psychopathic tendencies. ^_^

Well that's it for now folks, otherwise I won't stop talking. xp

Hey All,

Probably should have done this sooner...

I am Ash, a British Merchant Navy Officer. Life at sea is dull so the more I can read the books, read the threads and think the better... Want to set up / find a thread about the strong sailing themes and am always available to answer questions about life at sea (It is really dull :dunce: which I think I may have mentioned...) but am really new to forums so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be grand.

Cheers

Ash

Welcome Ash. Welkom Fredward.

Have fun with the place. :)

Ash, not so sure about merchant mariners but there are a few military sailors here to share the 'me hearties' with. ;)

Fred, aangename kennis...

Hello all,

My name's Rebecca. I got into the series through the tv show, and then devoured all 5 books in a few months. I recently read the Hedge Knight short stories, and the forum keeps me on my fix til the next tv season, at least. I'm currently re-reading the series and thought it was about time to post rather than just lurk. My favorite characters are Daenerys, Tyrion, Viserys and Margaery.

Hi everyone.

I got started reading ASoIaF during my first year of graduate school in a literary field. Now it's my third year in graduate school and I'm still into these books! As a snooty literary type, I used to like to lament about purple & pulp in relation to GRRM's books, and how GRRM laid on the R + L = J waaay too thick for people used to reading more "subtle" stuff.

Over the past couple of years I've given up a few of my pretensions and I'm way more comfortable saying I am a big fan of the series. I love thinking about the plot lines and speculating. I thought I was a careful reader, but these forums have really blown my mind. There are so many of you here who pay serious attention to the text. I'm looking forward to speculating some more as I re-read the books this year in advance of the next installment of the series on HBO.

babyb

Hi, I'm more runoff from the HBO bandwagon!

Watched the show, got addicted, found out I'd have to wait about a year for a continuation to the story so I said to hell with that and purchased all the available books, powered through them and am needing a fix so this seemed like the place to be.

I find it amazing how much I missed out on from one reading so soon as I started browsing this place!

Hi, time for my first post :cool4:

My name's Emma, and I currently reside in New Zealand. I read the books in about July last year (funnily enough, it had nothing to do with the HBO series and have been hooked ever since. I've been hanging out on Westeros for a while now, but this is my first official post. So, yeah.

:fencing:

Hey,

This is my first post and I thought I'll introduce myself:

I've been lurking for quite a while and basically learned that I did not catch anything on my first read. I blame it on not having English my first language... By now I'm on my second read and hey, suddenly it all makes (at least some) sense.

I started reading about a year ago when I first heard about the HBO Series and read the first two books before the series started. By now I read everything, including the Dunk'n'Egg stories and desperately try to get my family and friends to read it as well. As of now without any luck.... I guess I need to talk to you guys about this epic something that is A Song of Ice and Fire

Cheers Susi

Howdy! New here, hailing from Colorado. Got into the series after engulfing the HBO show. So far, I'm on my second run through the novels, on Storm of Swords now. I have a feeling I'll probably re read the series at least one more time before the year is out. I just can't stop.

Hello! I finished A Dance with Dragons a couple of days ago and am finally allowing myself the opportunity to go to websites like this. I was pretty stubborn about avoiding them before because I didn't want any spoilers. I started reading the books after watching the amazing HBO series and am officially obsessed. They are incredbile!