Introductions

Ran

Hi everyone,

I am Stephanie from Finland (so yeah I definitely know what they mean by "winter is coming"), I run a small private horse farm and enjoy listening to books while I'm tending to the horses, walking or sledding with my dogs or go riding. The forest is THE one best place to be listening to ASoIaF. Especially when it's crisp cold.

When I first heard of the TV series (I'm a severe series addict) I didn't want to watch it. Intrigues, kings, lords, ladies, *YAAAAWN* - and all that blood and snow and depressive setting of the first episode... but I am a devoted wife to my finnish husband and so I endured another 1-2 episodes to make him happy... and was hooked. When the first season ended I knew he had already read most of the books, so I went back and forth between "TELL me!" and "NO, wait! Don't tell me!" so he made me read on before his urge to kill me would overwhelm him. And so I am now almost still a virgin having finished ACoK and just starting off with ASoS, gnawing off my fingernails and running into doors all the time, because I can't stop listening.

I keep chatting with myself in my head and before I end up like Jaime Lannister I thought it might be wise to somewhat socialize. So here I am.

Oh and before you say anything: YES, I am now aware that the character is written "Ygritte". Did I mention I have the audiobook version? Please bear with me - it even took me hours to figure out the difference between the wildling woman in Winterfell and Theon's sister! :-P

Greetings,

Steph

Hello everyone!

My name is Gina and I live in California. I've been lurking the board ever since I finished reading ADWD so I'm excited to meet everyone and hopefully learn a little more about the books :)

I learned about ASOIAF through the TV series, Game of Thrones. I remember watching the first episode when it first aired and being so apathetic to it but I gave it another chance about a month ago and I loved it. I enjoyed the books even more and now I'm completely hooked :D

Hi people!

My names Carl jordan hence the name! From north of england so always seen myself as a north men(see myself as umber lol). Only got into the book after seeing the 15 min preview on HBO website but had read all the books twice before i watched the shows.Now am total hooked into the whole world that GRRM has created!

Favourite characters got to be Davos,Tyrion, Stannis, and Brienne but even the ones i hate i love to hate!

Hey everyone! I've been lurking around here for quite some time now, but today I decided to join in on the fun. I'm from Austria and I've discovered the books after watching Game of Thrones on HBO. My favorite characters are Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Davos and Jaime, though I enjoy pretty much everyone else too in one way or another.

Hello!

I'm Florentina and I'm from Austria, too . I'm reading the 2nd part in german right now and watched the HBO-series last week. I'm so upset about the new german translation, they turned all the names into german, so everything sounds like a bad joke. They even turned "Lannister" into "Lennister" for the new version (bad done AND useless :bawl: ) and they don't go on with the old translation for ADWD and theres also no chance to get the rest of the books in the original translation (that means not for a realistic price). So I decided to read the rest in english and I thought it was pretty good to join this forum before, so that I get used to the names and don't mix them up.

I started reading the series because I heard a lot about GRRM every time it came to fantasy, so I wanted to know what that guy writes. In the end the series was a lot better than I've expected :bowdown: The thing that suprised me most were the characters. I've hardly ever read a book with so well done characters. My favs are Arya, Jon, Dany and Tyrion, but Arya got plastic for me in the HBO-series and I see her in a different light now. Probably because the actress is such a cute girl :wub:

Hello! My name is Abby and I'm relatively new to the Ice & Fire world. I actually discovered the books after the HBO series came out, having heard nothing of the TV show...I saw the 4-book boxed set on Amazon and thought it might be something that I'd enjoy. I purchased it thinking that it was a 4-part series and, needless to say, I've now read all of them and am (im)patiently waiting for the next book.

I've been lurking for a couple of good weeks and this looks like a good community--looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Hey,

My name is Nick and I've read through the series a few times now and started reading back in 2002. I've been lurking around the board for a long time and have actually been posting for about 5 years under the name Strings albeit very infrequently. Over that 5 year span I only put up about 500 posts and went through long periods of inactivity, the latest being the last 6 months. I have some free time again and decided to get back into being a little more active but my password is apparently lost in the mists of time and the school email attached to it is now gone as I've been out of school a while now.

I'm an American from upstate New York but I've been living in Prague for about a year now. I work as an English teacher mainly for children ages 7-17 and I've actually come to really love the job. I plan on being a lot more active in my second life but I stick mainly to off topic and Literature. I tend to avoid general as most of the discussions have already been done countless times and I'm afraid I add very little new insight. I'm sure I'll post there a bit more when season two of GOT comes out as well as eventually when future books are published.

With that I'd just like to say that you're a great community here and I look forward to getting to know you all a little better in my second life. :)

A long time friend turned me onto the HBO series back in September. Loved it so much I went out and bought the boxed set at WalMart. Finished the first four and bought A Dance with Dragons in hard cover. Have since watched the movies again and getting ready to re-read the books. Season two can't get here fast enough.

I am a stay at home dad though my son just moved out, my wife and daughter still need me to chauffeur, clean the house and wash the clothes and dishes. Oh, and someone needs to take care of the car and the yard, and who is going to do all the stuff like replacing the water heater and trim the trees if not for me?

Anyway, in my spare time I paint minis and build terrain for games. Just finished my third castle yesterday, the fourth one is about a quater done.

Haven't read any fiction in twenty five years. Mostly history, WWII and European. Do read some U.S. history lately trying to figure out what the founding fathers really were like. Tend to be a rather slow reader as I like to digest the material. GRRM has returned the fire in my belly for this fantasy stuff like JRRTolkin did. Enjoy the gritty realism of his fantasy stuff, kind of like the RPG's I enjoy.