Introductions

Ran

Hi everyone! I have been an ocasional visitor (lukrer) on this forum for about half a year, and I now finally decided to join. I figured outh that this thread would be a good place for my first post. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that one of the fist posts in this thread was from a Romanian just like me. I didn't expect there would be many of us here.

Now let me tell you a fun story about how I became a fan of ASOIAF. I first discovered the books about 3-4 years ago. At first, I wasn't impressed by all the hype. In fact, most reviews that I read gave me a wrong impression of the books. First because I am a huge Tolkien fan and since ASOIAF is often advertised as "not like Tolkien", so I expected not to like it.

I allso said to myself: "Sex, violence, moral nihilism, sounds like some kind of pulpy Conan-clone. I won't waste my time with it. But my lillte brother could like it. It might impress his imature teenage mind and get him to al least read something!"

So I bought the first volume for my little brother as a birthday present. He never got past the prologue. I hovewer eventually picked up the book to read a few pages and see what is was about... and couldn't put it down.

I had finally realised why he books were so popular. But I didn't go and buy the sequels imediately. That's because one of the first things I learned about GRRM was that he had apparently abandoned the series halfway though it, and I was reluctant to read a story where I might never know the ending. I decided to wait some more, at least until Dance of Dragons would be published.

Last spring, after the TV series started, I finally gave in and bought a boxed set I found on Amazon, in the original english language. Through a lucky coincidence I finished AFFC on 11 july 2011 (He, he, he!)

After finishing the book I started to visit this forum to see fan theories and other things. I had known about it for some time but had carefully avoided it so I wouldn't be spoiled (unfortunately I didn't know about the "still reading" section) Instead, I got horribly spoiled in other places where I didn't even expect it.

Now, with a new season of the TV series knocking at the dor, and with some spare time momentarily on my hands, I finally decided to sign in and join the discussions.

Hello all I'm a long time asoiaf fan but haven't posted here last week.

I'm a student of English literature and publishing and spend a lot of time wishing we read at least one fantasy book. I mean, a bit of gaiman wouldn't go amiss and people do take him quite seriously.

Obviously as a lit student I like books, mostly fantasy though. I also like Internet things. I don't have much spare time but when I can I do enjoy a good long nap.

I really look forward to taking part in discussions here and seeing anyone from here on April 4th in Bath.

Finally I must apologise for my bad spelling and punctuation etc smartphones don't like to make typing easy! And sorry to mouse whoever you are for ripping off your name!

Hey,

My name is Nick and I've read through the series a few times now and started reading back in 2002. I've been lurking around the board for a long time and have actually been posting for about 5 years under the name Strings albeit very infrequently. Over that 5 year span I only put up about 500 posts and went through long periods of inactivity, the latest being the last 6 months. I have some free time again and decided to get back into being a little more active but my password is apparently lost in the mists of time and the school email attached to it is now gone as I've been out of school a while now.

I'm an American from upstate New York but I've been living in Prague for about a year now. I work as an English teacher mainly for children ages 7-17 and I've actually come to really love the job. I plan on being a lot more active in my second life but I stick mainly to off topic and Literature. I tend to avoid general as most of the discussions have already been done countless times and I'm afraid I add very little new insight. I'm sure I'll post there a bit more when season two of GOT comes out as well as eventually when future books are published.

With that I'd just like to say that you're a great community here and I look forward to getting to know you all a little better in my second life. :)

If you email the Administrator they might be able to help you reactivate your old account.

Use this email [email protected] and explain in detail what the problem is and i know for a fact if they can help you they will :).

Edited by ICE CROW

Buenos Dias!

My name is Lisa. I have been an active fan of the series since my brother told me to read it back in 2010.

I had come across the forum before and considered joining, but I forgot. Then, while discussing books people should read, this was the series both Mya Stone and I recommended in our baby group. She convinced me to come join, so if you don't like me blame her. :D

Buenos Dias!

My name is Lisa. I have been an active fan of the series since my brother told me to read it back in 2010.

I had come across the forum before and considered joining, but I forgot. Then, while discussing books people should read, this was the series both Mya Stone and I recommended in our baby group. She convinced me to come join, so if you don't like me blame her. :D

I think you'll fit in just fine. Just ignore the fl00b comments. And remember, if all else fails, tell them you're my fault. ;) (Unless you're in the book forums. That place is scary. :P)

Hi everyone, my name is Kathryn, you can call me Kat, Sakaea, or Kae. I'm 23, and a huge fantasy nut. My favorite series are Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice & Fire. I'm also a big gamer, especially Final Fantasy.

I just finished watching season 1 for the third time, and am waiting impatiently for the season 2 premiere, and for The Winds of Winter to come out. ADWD comes out in paperback in July, and I'm looking forward to getting that also.

I've poked around a bit, this seems like an interesting place, and I'm looking forward to talking with all of you!

Hello, I've lurked a while before deciding to sign in. I'm relative new to ASoIaF. A friend is a huge fan of the books and always tried to convince me to read them. I stumbled over the TV-show, not realising at the beginng that it was based upon those books. But after seeing the first season, I buyed the first four books and started reading - that was 3 weeks ago and I started A Feast for Crows today. My favorite characters so far are: Tyrion, Benjen, Jorah, Arya, Sandor, Brienne, Sam, Davos and - surprisingly - Tywin (but that would partly be because of Charles Dance' wonderful performance). I'm sure, I missed some favorites. Apart from being obvioulsy obsessed with Martins work, I like authors like Tad Williams, Neil Gaiman, H.P. Lovecraft, Terry Pratchett and many more (I'm worikng in a book store, so there is a lot of inspiration). I like series - mostly SciFi, Fantasy & Mystery like Babylon 5, FIrefly, Doctor Who or Lost, role playing games, Fantasy- & SciFI conventions, making costumes (I'm planning Catherines green travel gown at the moment) and listeing to music (alternative, gothic, medieval, classical ...)

Oh... and I'm not native english speaker, so I apologize in advance for any errors. :wideeyed:

Here is what brought me to the Song of Ice and Fire.

My favorite uncle had the books laying around his house back when (around 2000). I remember thumbing through them, but I didn't have the patience to sit and read them through (I was 12).

I forgot all about them until the HBO Series came out, and then I remembered the books. I watched the show, and realized that I was missing out big time on some good reading. So I got all the books from my Uncle (including Dunk %& Egg), and I am going to read them all.

Right now I am halfway through A Game of Thrones, and its been hard for me to want to stop reading. I would like to have A Clash of Kings read before Season 2 airs.

My question is- should I read the Dunk and Egg books after I get done with A Clash of Kings, or should I wait and read them after I am done with the main books?

Edited by Valyria's Finest

My question is- should I read the Dunk and Egg books after I get done with A Clash of Kings, or should I wait and read them after I am done with the main books?

Welcome to the board :)

You could read them before A Dance With Dragons (or earlier), since there are some references in ADWD to some things that appear in them, particularly in the third story, The Mystery Knight.

Greeting and salutations.

Been lurking here and there, off an on, since the show started; tore through the books midway through the first season once my lovely lady wife made a gift of them for me; currently about halfway through my first re-read, in anticipation of season two. Just re-read the RW. Still shocking.

Hey everyone, I'm Hayden. 21. from New York. I'm new to the ASoIaF world, i got the first 5 books for Christmas and have read them twice through each already. I've been hanging out on this website for a few weeks trying to figure out whether or not to sign up, but i'm glad i did. Not sure what else to put here.

Favorite character is Jon Snow (i hope he isn't dead) and Davos Seaworth (hoping he doesn't die rescuing Rickon).

I'm amazed at how in depth some people on here have read the books, and i hope that someday maybe i will be that way.

Edited by UnStubby
Mod Edit: Spoiler Tags...

Hi everyone

I came to the ASoIaF world through the TV show. It looked an interesting programme, when I saw a promo of Lena Headey (playing Queen Cersei Lannister) in a gothic setting simply saying "In the game of thrones you win or you die".

Having watched series 1, read all the books, Dunk and Egg included, I'm now worryingly addicted and visiting this forum on a regular basis has not helped at all.

Hello, everyone! My name is Carey, I am in my 30s and live in Ohio. I am a guy (don't let the name trick you.) I started reading the series after the third book was released and have re-read them many times. I also enjoy the last two books though hope the pace will pick up. Dany was my favorite character through three books and I am staying loyal to her despite the Meereen debacle in the last book.

I like other fantasy, biographies (especially related to musicians and historical figures), literature, historical fiction, and History. I also enjoy poetry and short stories of many genres. Martin's works are my favorites. I like most everything but my faves outside of aSoIaF are Fevre Dream, Dying of the Light, Sand Kings (the Short story), Skin Traders (short story), and the Ice Dragon (short story).

Oh, and I am very much enjoying this forum. I have learned many things that I did not catch in my re-reads. It is also fun to debate prophecies and how all the character arcs will play out.

Edited by Carey Snow

Hey guys...names David and i am from Nova Scotia Canada. Only on third book..just about done and have watched the first season religiously, waiting patiently for the second season...the series is amazing so far...Jon Snow has been my favorite character throughout the first three books...hopefully he continues living :P...hard to tell with this series.