Introductions

Ran

Hi, I'm mainly a lurker on here but trying to be a bit more active! I'm from the UK and discovered the books after watching season 1 on Sky Altantic last year. The rest, as they say, is history! I found this forum by accident and it's a great source of information for all things ASOIAF and GOT related. It's also really nice to read people's differing views on various matters, despite all being under the same banner of loving what GRRM has created.

Hello! Despite my user name, I am not from the Philippines (where Cardinal Sin, whose first name was Jaime, of all names, was Archbishop); I am sure the weather is much nicer there than here in the UK though! Neither am I religious really ;)

Having lurked here for I while I wanted to throw in some crackpot theories on ASOIAF as well. Prepare to be... probably underwhelmed. Anyways, looking forward to exchanging some opinions on the series with you!

Hello! Despite my user name, I am not from the Philippines (where Cardinal Sin, whose first name was Jaime, of all names, was Archbishop); I am sure the weather is much nicer there than here in the UK though! Neither am I religious really ;)

Having lurked here for I while I wanted to throw in some crackpot theories on ASOIAF as well. Prepare to be... probably underwhelmed. Anyways, looking forward to exchanging some opinions on the series with you!

Hi, Cardinal Sin! Welcome to the boards!

You're going to need an avatar. May I suggest this? Or this? Or maybe this?

Greetings!! I am from Scotland but live in England, lucky me. I got into ASOIAF after watching the first HBO series last year. I only finished ADWD on Thursday night and so am now fully up to date and can venture onto forums without someone spoiling something for me. I am very impressed with this site and imagine I will be spending some time on it.

Hello,

My name is Paul. I love to read and I actually started to read this series because I wanted to watch the show since I saw that Sean Bean was in it. I really enjoyed him portraying Boromir, so I told myself I would read the books, and instantly got sucked into the world of Westeros. I have read all the books and cannot wait for the Winds of Winter to be punlished. This series is so intense that I could not put it down, I love this series and I love most types of books. I found this site while on GRRM's official site reading the chapter from WoW. I am a big fan of Jon Snow, hence the name MrSnow. If you have any questions feel free to ask away

Hello. I'm a long time fan of the series since some time in the early 2000's. I really don't recall how I discovered it, quite possibly it was a chance browsing of a barnes and noble shelf but at any rate, I burned through the first three books in record time. Then I lucked out as book four came out in hardcover in short order. After that came the long winter through which I'm sure we all suffered until the HBO series came about and brought book five along with it. (I think I read that one inside a week)

With the new found popularity of the series, I find myself serving as a mentor to all my friends who are discovering it for the very first time. I've been having a lot of fun clarifying things, helping them keep track of this complex world and particularly keeping a straight face as I await their reactions to all the twists and turns. After each new episode airs I always find myself answering at least three urgent ravens within the hour.

Lastly, I'd like to take the opportunity to applaud everyone who has gone out of their way to do an amazing job at not leaking the existing plot to all the new fans. I know it's hard sometimes.

Hello,

I am from Switzerland and have read with enthousiasm all five books so far (all in English) and am currently rereading them. I am also a huge LOTR (book!) fan and active in LOTR forums. Right now, here, I try to figre out how to get an avatar...

I really enjoy the world of Westeros, albeit it is a cruel and dangerous place where I would not like to live.

Hi! I'm Joe from Southern California. I started watching the HBO series last year with no idea it was based on a series of books. A good friend started reading them, then shortly after I started and was hooked! I've become obsessed with the show and books and just can't get enough of them. This site has been such a useful tool. I look forward to joining in the conversations. :wideeyed:

Well, I'm a few posts in already, but I guess I can introduce myself. I am Mike and I hail from Minnesota. I actually started reading this after hearing many great things from some friends at another forum dedicated to another series of books that I read. So I was able to pretty much trust their tastes on this one. I actually started reading A Game of Thrones around the beginning of last September and I caught up to the series and finished A Dance With Dragons around Christmas. And now here I am, at another forum ready to make an ass out of myself for another couple thousand posts.

Hi,

I come from Bulgaria and it is safe to say that I am addicted to the series and the show :)

I watched the first season of the show a few months ago, got really excited and then started to read the books.

I'm at the end of book 3 now and try to stick to the information regarding only the first three books. That is really hard though since there are so many interesting threads here. So I pretty much have a rough idea what is going to happen by the end of ADWD. But that's ok :)

I'm really excited about joining this forum. I was a bit shy at first, but now I'm determined to post more comments for the future :)

I'm Nick and I come from Malta. Like several people here and others I know, I began reading the books after watching the first season. I bought the lot early this year and spent a week and a half reading through them in pretty much a single sitting, stopping only to sleep/eat/shower.

To this day, I'm still kicking myself for not having heard about the book series any earlier.

Hi everyone!

I'm from Hungary and came across the series through the HBO show last summer. I started reading the books around Christmas and finished A Dance with Dragons about a fortnight ago or so. I love both the books and the show.

A little anecdote about how I found this forum. So if you enter a writer's name and the word 'is' into Google you'll get funny results. Some months ago if you entered Stephenie Meyer is... the first option Google offered was Stephenie Meyer is fat (sorry Twilight fans, if there's any of you around here). We had a great laugh about that with my friends back then. Maybe it was boredom or just fate, but I happened to enter 'george rr martin is' and Google offered 'george rr martin is a pervert'. Now I had to know why is the poor guy a pervert and that's how I found an already closed discussion of this forum about whether Martin hated women or not. And I started browsing the forum and got hooked. So I don't think poor Martin is a pervert, but the story turned out well, because I kinda like this forum.

That'd be it. And I'm member of the GOT and ASOIAF spots on fanpop.com too, in case any of you guys have an account there we might have already seen each other in this great virtual universe. Who knows? :D :dunno:

Hey everyone,

I first read this series around the time when AFFC came out. My hubby had picked up the books upon hearing a recommendation and I successfully ignored their existence for a few months. Then I made the mistake of picking up and reading throught the first couple of chapters of AGOT. After Bran's fall I was hooked. I did nothing but read those books for the next four or five days...which is quite an accomplishment considering I've got kids. They were lucky they didn't starve. :)

At the end of AFFC, however, I was very much disappointed with where George had taken the series.

Dany is Meereen is tedious, do I really care about anyone at Sunspear, ok, really you are going to end the book with Brienne being hanged by Zombie Cat? and WTF is Zombie Cat anyway? Oh and why is it that the "Lord of Light" which is supposedly "All Good" more like Lucifer than God (who really IS good and doesn't require innocent human blood to make magic swords)? Is a cold zombie (Others) really that much worse than a hot zombie (Cat)?

I could go on and on... Basically I was so put off I haven't even bothered to read ADWD yet.

The first season of the HBO series was really really good (although the first episode of the second season makes me wonder if they can keep it up) and it inspired me to do a re-read which I'm in the middle of now. I'm using audio books, thankfully, so I can go slow and there is no danger of my kids starving. The re-read is very very satisfying and I'm amazed at how much I missed the first time around. Knowing what happens next does not in any way diminish this. Of course, as part of my re-read I have lots of questions and new insights so that is why I'm here.

Oh and I've decided that I'm going to read ADWD after all in spite of the rumored death of one of my favorite characters... but then it wouldn't be GRRRRRR Martin, would it?

Edited by Magdelaine Snow

Reader,

Welcome to my quick intro post.

I originally started reading The Obsidian Chronicles by Lawrence Watt Evans. Well waiting for the third book, Dragon Venom to come out I picked up the first three books in A Song of Ice and Fire, and was hooked.

I also enjoy Star Trek (all series), Walking Dead, Fringe, and Eureka. I also still read the Goosebumps series by R. L. Stine (after all who says I need to grow up completely).

When I'm not reading or doing college assignments I'm either playing video games, working on my novels, or doing out door stuff.

v/Respectfully,

Kagoora

Hello, Hello!!

Just joined the forums! Long time lurker, first time poster! I have been a huge fan of the series since last year. A friend recommended the series to me just before the show began. From the moment I opened the cover I was hooked. I have found that the series been a fantastic read. From A Game of Thrones to A Storm of Swords I found the books to be incredible. However with a Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons, I feel that I am spending too much time on little things that I dont really care too much for. But it hasnt ruined my experience at all.

Personally one of my favorite latter developments in the story was the transformation of Theon into Reek. That screwed with my mind so much. I wanted to HATE Theon for what he did, but something about him made me still pity him.

I am a huge fan of the TV show so far as well. Really loved sunday's episode. Brienne has been adapted perfectly!

Anywho-Looking forward to chatting.

-mynameisreek

Hi ya'll!

I've known for quite a while about this site and have browsed around a bit. A couple days back I stumbled upon the forums and lurked a bit and thought "why the hell not" and registered.

I "found" Martin five years ago, when my brother and sister were throwing me a 20th birthday party. My brother took me to the bookstore and told me he'd buy me some books (I LOVE my brother, he has the best gifts <3). So I wandered around and got to the fantasy section (which is usually the first section I go to in any bookstore) and happened to pick up A Game of Thrones. (And for the record, also got some Bulgakov and Flaubert, loved them both.) I have a broad taste in books, and as a result I have a ton of them - I've never dared count.

I'm from Finland, 25 years old and work in retail. I'm engaged to the most wonderful man alive. Besides ASoIaF, I'm also known to love Tolkien. I'm a self-confessed geek.

So that's a little bit about me.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you a bit and learning my way around the forums :P

Also, I'm not a native speaker, so pardon me for any occasional error in my spelling and/or grammar.

hi I am a first time poster, but I have been lurking around here for several months, I just wanted to thank everyone on here for such insightful analysis of the series, I read the 5 books and dunk and egg, then came on here, realized how much I missed then re read them with a vastly higher appreciation for the genius that is grrm. I think it should be mandatory for anyone who reads these books to check this site out, as i deem it a necessary companion to the novels, as well as an excellent place for intelligent discussion (which is very rare on the interweb). Again, thank you for all the insight and I look forward to reading/discussing more with such educated fans