Introductions

Ran

Hello all, I am Mike. I am 21 years old and live in New York.

I love Game of Thrones, and I've been introduced by a bunch of friends. I first started watching the 1st 2 seasons and then after started reading the books and I am up to a Feast for Crows.

One of my favorite, if not my favorite, book series ever and even the show.

I hope I can actually venture into subforums here, without getting spoiled lol.

New to the forums, made my way here out of desperation now that S.2 is over and it looks like there's still a ways to go before Winds of Winter. I figured browsing obsessed fan theories is a good way to tide myself over. I'll probably mostly be lurking (work and LSAT prep, interfering with my fandom!), but we shall see...

New to the forums, made my way here out of desperation now that S.2 is over and it looks like there's still a ways to go before Winds of Winter. I figured browsing obsessed fan theories is a good way to tide myself over. I'll probably mostly be lurking (work and LSAT prep, interfering with my fandom!), but we shall see...

Hey there, I'm also new.

Problem is, I haven't finished the books yet which I'm upset about because I can't visit too many threads.

Fortunately, I'll be done with A Feast for Crows soon, and will start A Dance with Dragons.

Guess time for intro, yeah like lot of you

I've been introduced by the show then actually read the books in 2 weeks i think and then the 3 "dunk and egg", it's really a great story otherwise i wouldn't be here.

:dunno:

See you on threads.

Howzit Everyone (that's Hello in colloquial South African, btw)

I'm Karl and I'm obviously new to this forum. I've been waiting until I was finished with all the books before I registered and started discussing the story because I'm shit-scared of spoilers. Shit-scared of them, yet unable to stop myself from reading them...go figure.

Gotta say, some of the insights and theories around here literally blew my friggin mind (R + L= J !!). Makes so much sense and yet the thought never entered my mind. Possibly a result of rushing through the books a little too quickly.

Anyhow I just hope I can contribute meaningfully around here (or amusingly at the very least).

Take it easy

Edited by The Lord of Boners

@The Lord of Boners:

when you get the time, read the whole series again.

you'll be very surprised how many things you've missed.

other than that, welcome aboard.

Still on the 4th book and hoping to read them again right after. I feel like I'm missing things on the way.

Like I watched the 1st season of GoT again and I was so surprised how many things I've missed especially since I watched the show first and then read the book

Hey there! My friends call me Zee, and I'm from Australia. I've read all the current ASOIAF books(Just finished A Dance with Dragons a few days ago) and have been watching the show too.

When did everyone begin to read the book/watch the show?

Still on the 4th book and hoping to read them again right after. I feel like I'm missing things on the way.

Like I watched the 1st season of GoT again and I was so surprised how many things I've missed especially since I watched the show first and then read the book

I agree with you, I will probably re-read the books again soon.

Hi fellow n00bs! Welcome on board!

As mentioned, be careful if you don't want to get spoiled. I would have hoped the "still reading" section was free from spoilers, but perhaps some don't follow the rules, and it is always one self who has to make sure not to get spoiled. Myself, I didn't even start reading any forums before I was done reading ADwD.

Hey I'm Ed. I have read all 5 books twice since Xmas 2012. All three Dunk & Egg stories as well. on my 3rd watch of Season one followed by my 2nd watch season 2. I find it humorous so many think Jon Snow is a Targaryen even tho this was dispelled when he was burned by fire defending Old Bear. lol. Bran learned to control animals b/c dragons are coming. Sam went to the Citadel to learn about Dragons. Tyrion studies dragons. Jon has his own story arc to worry about. Look elsewhere.

Firstly, welcome to Westeros forums!

The thing that makes people disregard Jon's burned hand is that GRRM said specifically, to tell readers who thought otherwise, that it is not normal for Targaryens to be fire-proof and that Dany was unburned because of some magical protection that particular moment she walked into the pyre. She would probably not be unharmed if she tried it again. So Targaryens are not fire-proof generally. If you wish to read more about this there are threads about it and I'll provide GRRM's statement found in the Citadel, FAQ and So Spake Martin section of this board.

From an interview:

"Granny": Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

GRRM: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

"Granny": So she won't be able to do it again?

GRRM: Probably not.

Speculation is taking this into account, and among other things also the story of Aerion Brightflame Targaryen and the fate of Aegon V (Egg), Dunk and Duncan the Small. So, if you're interested in this you can find more in the forums and the wiki...

Hello from Spain!

Last summer, a friend of mine recommended GoT to me. I wasn't really interested, but when he said that he would watch a show I had been recommending to him for a long time in exchange, I accepted. Naturally, I loved it and went into a "NEED MOAR" state until I ordered all the books. I read the first four books in about three weeks, but had to stop due to uni starting (I study English Literature, so I have to read a lot, and I don't like reading more than one book at the same time). I was VERY afraid of spoilers, so I decided not to start checking forums until I had read ADwD. That was about a week ago, so here I am!

I have to say, some theories in this forum are mind blowing. You guys are geniuses, I can't wait for a reread! :D

Edited by Myriah

Hello All, I am jayne and live in Scotland. Been a reader of the forum for a while but new to join.

Have read ASOIAF a few times love the books but also enjoy different author's such as (gemmell, Jordan, Eddings, Feist and Donaldson, loads really) Play guitar and go to different music festivals as often as I can or as weather permits here.

Hi, I'm bekitty. I live in Wellington, New Zealand.

I'm currently reading my way through ASoIaF (currently about halfway through ADwD) but haven't seen the series as yet.

Found out about this site through Google, when i was looking for more in-depth information about the characters in the books. So my first stop was the wiki, then I found all the other stuff.

Cheers!

Edited by bekitty

Seriously, i've got spoiled even in the Still Reading sections, so I advise you only to start reading the thread after you finish ADwD. I couldn't wait, and that's why I got spoiled, but maybe you're stronger than I am! haha

You're going to find spoilers almost everywhere , I just stay off topics with theories in general . I just find with so many people , one of most of them could prove right and I won't feel the weight of the reveal when I finally read it.

Either ways welcome to the forum!

Hello there.

Besides being a retarted ASoIaF / GoT fanatic, I am a student from Scandinavia.

I was only introduced to the series this year (really, I've probably lived inside a jar these past years), in February I guess. That was when I started watching season 1. After some time I thought it was time for the books, and by the end of June I had finished all five of them.

I found this place some time ago, but didn't want to join the fun before reading all the books, since I had already spoiled myself accidentally on the Wiki page earlier, concerning a certain major event in ASoS. So yeah didn't want to repeat that one.

Anyway, now that I don't have that fear any longer and I'm free to roam here, why don't you all give me a warm welcome :)

Hi! I'm Vincent from Paris, but I just arrived at the Fist of the First Men with Jon Snow and the Old Bear...

Apart from that, I spend my days telling people what to write in their websites or doing it for them - and some of my nights deejaying (indie, rock, electro, stuff...). I also tend to post comments in The Guardian's TV & Radio section online, mostly babbling about Scandinavian TV shows.

So, hello everyone. I am Mirime, not quite-a-new fan of the series nor a new member of this forum but the last time I tried signing up, the forum kept crashing down so I didn't really visit much nor participated. Hopefully, this time the technical issues are resolved.

So, anwyay. I am both the book series and TV series fan. Liking both is not forbidden, is it? Or is it like that thing with Sansa and Arya where you can like one or the other but not both? (Yes, I lurked around the fandom long enough to pick up on this). Well, bugger that. I like them both and there's nothing you can do about that, nyah-nyah.

Yes, I'm a cheeky bugger who's more than willing to follow her own path (I am a female for those who are curious) and I like what I like. I tend to follow the creed of "Live and let live" and would appreciate being shown the same courtesy. People are not going to like the same things, which is only natural. Why should I be mean to someone else just because they have a different opinion than me? As long as they express themselves politely, they can like whatever they want.

That being said, I reiterate - I like both the books and the TV show. Books a bit more because there is five of them for now and I always held the opinion that the adaptation of any kind hardly ever lives up to the original source. Books are richer in content, I feel, there is more exposure given to the characters. But I like the visuals of the show - the casting is amazingly done and so are the settings and music. Oh god, the music... I could listen to the opening alone for hours while staring at the pictures of the cast.

As for how I became a fan - I saw bits and pieces of the show, started to like certain characters even if I only knew their names, went looking for the fanfic, got curious about the numerous spoilers I found in the fics, picked up the books and the rest, as they say, is history.

Favourite characters are supposed to follow, right? Well, my number one is and always will be SANSA! She is amazing - her development, her quiet strength, her fortitude in the face of enmity, everything about her is great. And Sophie Turner has been amazing in her role and she should have gotten some kind of nomination for her acting because she fucking deserves it! Erm, so, Sansa is followed by Arya, Brienne, Catelyn (I like strong women whom I can look up to), Sandor and Jaime (because I am a sucker for well portrayed anti-villains/anti-heroes with redemption arcs), Jon, Daenerys, Barristan and Jorah, which makes top ten I believe. Am I hearing a cry of outrage at my omission of Tyrion? Well, I like him, just not as much as those characters above. He was higher on my list up until the third book and the fifth is slowly killing the rest of my fondness for him. His descent into darkness is just not doing it for me and his rabid fandom which makes him into a saint and is refusing to see his bad parts is doing the rest, especially when they gang up on Sansa because she was "awful to him, the ungrateful little bitch!" *rolls eyes* Well, diss my favourite on the account of your favourite and I'm not going to hold back either.

So, reading over what I have written so far, I come across as pretty confrontational. Oooops. Let's make it worse by everyone's favourite topic - SHIPPING! Yes, I'm a shipper. Worse, I'm the passionate, my OTP forever and ever, they belong with each other and no one else will do in my eyes type. Meaning, if I ship A and B, I will never ever consider A and C or B and D. Well, at least I acknowledge the fact that other people are free to ship differently. If they like A/C, fine by me, as long as they don't expect me to agree with them. That said, I like Sandor/Sansa, Jaime/Brienne, Jorah/Daenerys and Jon/Arya. I have my reasons for shipping them. In my own opinion, they are good reasons. In other people's opinions, they might not hold up. Fine, to each their own. I know people might not see the appeal to those ships, the same way I don't see an appeal for, i.e. Jon/Daenerys. I tried but aside from the symbolism thing I really couldn't see anything, so excuse me for sticking to my own pairings for those two.

What else to add to that? That I'm a sci-fi, fantasy, anime and manga fan? That I did my fair share of LARPing when I was younger (I sew my own costumes and those of my brothers but I also fought with swords and spears and daggers - Sansa and Arya both, guys, it is possible!)? That I'm a metal music addict whose current tastes run along the lines of Megadeth and In Flames and Blind Guardian? That I write, acording to reviews, interesting and IC fanfics? That I ramble and am sarcastic and should really shut up? Yup, all of that. So shutting up for now and see you around the forums.