Introductions

Ran

No, lesson learned. Partied hard with these 3 Glaswegian girls in Prague this summer and they literally did not let me sleep for 4 days. Amazingly good fun, bought all the drinks, but my God I was near death.

when you play the game of glaswegian drinking you either win or you die there is no middle ground

Ahoy, I'm Atroksia (High Valyrian for owl, couldn't think of any better nick name that fast when I signed up here, hehe) alias SickDelusion alias Kris, a tattoo artist trainee from Germany (so forgive any mistakes I'll problably make, for English isn't my native language), and, well, new here, heh. First watched the TV series after a friend of mine had recommended it to me, afterwards I started reading the books and I'm in love with ASOIAF. Since I'm done reading the books (finished DwD last weekend) I've been looking for a community which is also into ASOIAF - so yeah, here I am. I like how popular and "alive" this forum seems to be, and I hope that I will write this and that every now and then, although I feel a bit intimidated by the frequency new posts and threads are posted here - I'll see if I'll be able to keep track.

And yep, I'm also a fan of Avatar who's even learning the Na'vi language, but don't mind that, heh. Thought about learning High Valyrian as well, but I fear I don't got enough time left for that. On the other hand, now that I'm done reading ASOIAF... .. . -_-

Edited by Atroksia

Ahoy, I'm Atroksia (High Valyrian for owl, couldn't think of any better nick name that fast when I signed up here, hehe) alias SickDelusion alias Kris, a tattoo artist trainee from Germany (so forgive any mistakes I'll problably make, for English isn't my native language), and, well, new here, heh. First watched the TV series after a friend of mine had recommended it to me, afterwards I started reading the books and I'm in love with ASOIAF. Since I'm done reading the books (finished DwD last weekend) I've been looking for a community which is also into ASOIAF - so yeah, here I am. I like how popular and "alive" this forum seems to be, and I hope that I will write this and that every now and then, although I feel a bit intimidated by the frequency new posts and threads are posted here - I'll see if I'll be able to keep track.

And yep, I'm also a fan of Avatar who's even learning the Na'vi language, but don't mind that, heh. Thought about learning High Valyrian as well, but I fear I don't got enough time left for that. On the other hand, now that I'm done reading ASOIAF... .. . -_-

welcome :D

Welcome. :cheers:

Hi, I'm Margaret. I'm new here (I only discovered this forum yesterday) and I'm making my way through aFfC, although at this point I've accidentally seen so many spoilers I don't care anymore. I've been trying to convince my friends to read ASOIAF for a while, but I've kind of just given up on them.

Kind of similar to Atroskia, I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings who has learned Quenya Elvish and is attempting to learn Dwarvish - I'll probably end up learning High Valyrian and/or Dothraki too now (I didn't know they were full languages until joining this forum).

Hi, I'm Margaret. I'm new here (I only discovered this forum yesterday) and I'm making my way through aFfC, although at this point I've accidentally seen so many spoilers I don't care anymore. I've been trying to convince my friends to read ASOIAF for a while, but I've kind of just given up on them.

Kind of similar to Atroskia, I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings who has learned Quenya Elvish and is attempting to learn Dwarvish - I'll probably end up learning High Valyrian and/or Dothraki too now (I didn't know they were full languages until joining this forum).

Welcome, Margaret! :cheers:

Hello newbie here. :D

I'm Nighty (short for Nightshade but that username was already taken so...) and I'm from a small country called Lithuania. English isn't my native language so I apologize in advance for any grammar and punctuation mistakes I'm going to make.

And before I forgot... *dances*

Hello newbie here. :D

I'm Nighty (short for Nightshade but that username was already taken so...) and I'm from a small country called Lithuania. English isn't my native language so I apologize in advance for any grammar and punctuation mistakes I'm going to make.

And before I forgot... *dances*

Welcome, Nighty! :cheers:

Littlefinger will appreciate the dancing :D

What can I say? I aim to please. :lol: Ehm... dance? :D

And thank you very much for the warm welcome, the Winter and Lord_Tyrion. ^_^

Edited by Nighty

Obligatory Initial Introduction Post

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to make a brief introductory post saying hello. I am so glad to have found the Westeros.org site and the subsequent volumes of information that the site has made available to further the lore and learning of those folks who have become as captivated by the GoT as I have.

Initially I was only a fan by way of the HBO series. Recently though, while waiting impatiently for the 4th season to begin (Winter may be coming, but the Spring season of HBO always follows eventually lol), I decided to pick up the books and read them.

I love to read and I read a wide variety of genres, fantasy being much loved ever since I first picked up a Patricia McKillip paperback at the age of 13 (The Forgotten Beasts of Eld). Now in my early 50's I find my reading often mirrors the way I watch Netflix, in absolute marathon sessions.

To give an example, I enjoyed the Starz series the White Queen and delved headfirst into the novels by Phillipa Gregory. I read all the novels in the War of the Cousins series and then followed up with the tales of the Tudors. I was immersed in the world that Phillipa wrote about morning, noon and night. I've done the same deep immersion technique with other authors, and find that it is very enjoyable for me personally, but your mileage may vary.

And so I followed suit for the GoT books, I started with the first and read straight through to the most recent over the last 6 weeks. I have to admit that I am glad I hadn't read them earlier when they were first published as when I found out that it had taken 4 to 5 years between some of the books being written I don't think I could have withstood the anticipation of waiting lol!

Not to mention that the time lapse between books would have caused me to have to re-read the earlier books just to reacqauint myself with the various plethora of characters and plotlines (that happened with the reading of the Stephen King DT series).

I finished ADWD a few days ago and look forward to the release of the final 2 (or 3?) volumes as does everyone here I am sure. Now I find I am in desperate need of the balm of Westeros in the form of additional materials to read and was happy to find links to chapters made available for the upcoming book as well as have asked Santa for Dangerous Women to read the short story there about the early years.

I am planning on doing a marathon re-watch of seasons 1-3 a few weeks before the new season begins on HBO. I want to rewatch the series as I think that having read the novels now I will better understand elements of the series I missed the first time around. I'll better appreciate subtle plotline points and more as I missed bits and pieces here and there while doing things around the house. With a husband, three dogs, a cat, and aquarium at home there were many things to steal my attention away from focusing on the series at the time it aired.

One of things I really enjoyed about reading the books were the insights given by the internal dialogue of various characters which is near impossible to translate to the screen. Long after I put the books down key phrases would come unbidden to me during the day. If I look back, I am lost... Reek, reek, it rhymes with bleak...

I should mention that I do most of my reading on a Kindle now. I held out for as long as possible, swearing that nothing could hold a candle to feeling the weight of an actual book in your hand, hearing the crack of the spine as a new book is opened for the first time or the timeless scent that arises from the pages of some dusty tome pulled from some long forgotten shelf.

Having recieved the Kindle as a gift, I had no choice but to at least give it a try and I found much to my delight that I now prefer to use the Kindle as my primary reader now. Options such as being able to customize font size and many other little perks like the built-in dictionary have made it an invaluable tool for me. Books I truly treasure will still be purchased in hard-cover format to take their hallowed place on the bookshelf though and ASoIaF will be there for certain!

Well, I said this was going to be a brief introduction...apologies in advance to those I've offended for not being brief lol and many thanks to those who have read thus far. I look forward to being a part of Westeros.

-Aletheia

Draconem Aeternum

You are more than welcome Lord Tyrion :) I do have to admit that I find Lord Tyrion's chapters my favorite to read. Sadly though I found that his wit and wisdom did not translate very well into the new book of the same name -- it was difficult to truly appreciate his wit and wisdom outside the context of the ASoIaF novels. Some of the splendid things Tyrion says lack the rich intensity that they had without the benefit of the surrounding chapters. Ah well, at least I now have a quick resource to look up favorite quotes when I need to have them on hand.

Many thanks for the warm welcome!

-Aletheia

Draconem Aeternum

You are more than welcome Lord Tyrion :) I do have to admit that I find Lord Tyrion's chapters my favorite to read. Sadly though I found that his wit and wisdom did not translate very well into the new book of the same name -- it was difficult to truly appreciate his wit and wisdom outside the context of the ASoIaF novels. Some of the splendid things Tyrion says lack the rich intensity that they had without the benefit of the surrounding chapters. Ah well, at least I now have a quick resource to look up favorite quotes when I need to have them on hand.

Many thanks for the warm welcome!

-Aletheia

Draconem Aeternum

Thank you yet again.

A side note: my nick's spelt with an underscore. ;o)

I read "The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister", but I haven't bought it so far.

I chose this nickname because I'm a scholar of sorts. I like so many things, I'm into languages, law and medicine (and there I'm into neurology and psychology/psychiatry).

And of course I like the half man quite a lot.

You're welcome - and you'd also be welcome on my friends' list if you like. =o)

:cheers:

Hello,

my first post. I am currently re-reading the books. I have frequently re-read passages for better understanding when I thought I must have dropped or misunderstood a thread of the intricate tale, but now I try to read them as a whole again. I am currently halfway through Storm of Swords.

I have also watched the first and second season of the Game of Thrones show, but stopped after that, mainly because I cannot stand the dubbed version we get in the country I live in. I bought the DVDs for said seasons, then lost interest. Until my current re-read I had indeed difficulties to separate what part of the stories was in the book and what was on screen, but now I have it laid out clearly and appreciate both tellings of the story.

I find re-reading difficult, as I try to get along on the undercurrents of dreams and stories inside the story. I think I am good with a number of the mysteries. Some of them seem to have several viable interpretations and I am happy they are that way. I found a number of misconceptions and prejudices I got reading the first time round. They get all cleared up now...

Edited by Jon Starkaryaetheon