Introductions

Ran

So..I joined the forum just a few minutes ago...Since the last zwo years I´m terribly in love with that series - the books and the TV show <3

My name is related to the quote "Dark wings, dark words" because it means the ravens...and Ravenna is called "Ravenmaiden" or something like that...okay it´s too a town in Italy, but this doesn´t matter XD

I have finished the last book just some hours ago..I espacially love Jon Snow...Bran...and Arya always reminds me of myself =D But there are other characteres I favor, but this are the most of them..maybe because they could "warg"..or have still there Direwolf. Yes..Arya has Nymeria not, but she is still alive - in her heart! ^^´

So..if there are below some mistakes, don´t take them to seriously..english isn´t my mothertongue(it´s german) but I love the language and I´m reading, writing a lot in english :D

So..also if there is someone who will start a "friendship" with me - because I love to met new people and practice my language skills and maybe you could learn german *laugh*

I would call myself a metalhead - bands like Sonarta Arctika, Cruachan, Hammerfall and Epica are my favourite..

So...I think for the first..it´s enough ^^

Hello!

I am so close to finishing 'A Dance With Dragons,' that my excitement for soon being able to contribute (and read) the discussions on these boards has overwhelmed me.

Lately I only have time for about a chapter a day but, in my eagerness to finish the book, I decided that I must post an introduction here immediately.

I have been visiting this website for a while, and have gone over the forums only briefly (as I'm very consciously aware of spoilers), and have been longing to participate.

As many newcomers, I imagine, I was introduced to the novels via the television series (I began watching before the second season aired), and am ever grateful to HBO for introducing me to this outstanding series of books.

I often find fantasy novels difficult to engage in without rolling my eyes, but George RR Martin easily captivated me with what I find to be a Shakespearean quality.

I began reading ASoIaF last year, after receiving books 1-4 as a Christmas present, and have been fairly consistent with the series since.

I received the last book for Christmas this year (what a wonderful sister, I have) and just in time to have finished 'A Feast For Crows' and jump right into it.

With ~150 pages left in the book, I have been aching to join the discussions here and look forward to meeting all of you.

I can't imagine how it must have been for fans to wait so many years between books, but I'm glad I'll be caught up soon in the wait for the next one.

I've virtually lived with this world for the last year and have thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

Hullo everyone, I'm Howland'sMovingCastle from Glasgow in Scotland.

I've just recently registered, though I've already lost a good few hours to various theory threads on these forums since I finished reading the books a few months ago. I was sucked in via the TV version originally, but after season 3 ended I cracked and ended up reading the books, squirrelling myself away in the bedroom in the evenings after work (and avoiding large chunks of the internet).

My boyfriend hasn't read the books, so every trailer and teaser that have been released for season 4 have been an exercise in keeping a straight face as I listen to him telling me all of his theories! Only a couple of my friends have read the books, so I'm looking forward to getting involved in some chat here.

I often find fantasy novels difficult to engage in without rolling my eyes, but George RR Martin easily captivated me with what I find to be a Shakespearean quality.

[...]

I can't imagine how it must have been for fans to wait so many years between books, but I'm glad I'll be caught up soon in the wait for the next one.

I've virtually lived with this world for the last year and have thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

What a disturbing user name @daedalus ennui ... and what a nice introduction to make good :-)

Shakespeare for blood and gory - good point but I'd say Poe for every detail adding to an undercurrent carrying meaningful foreshadowing or the sense of what's happening is actually all wrong...

Let's wait for the Winds of Winter together and have fun with the forum!

Only a couple of my friends have read the books, so I'm looking forward to getting involved in some chat here.

Welcome @Howland'sMovingCastle,

At least you know someone. The only one I know does not want to talk about it at all ... unless he's very drunk.

Have fun with the forum!

Thanks for the welcomes!
I have a couple friends who I have convinced to read the books, but we don't get into deep discussions about them, other than small 20 minute spurts every now and again when no one else is around.

My mother and I will discuss our thoughts as well, as she's been reading them this year as well, but we don't see each other often enough for this to quench my thirst for theory and reflection.

What a disturbing user name @daedalus ennui ... and what a nice introduction to make good :-)

Shakespeare for blood and gory - good point but I'd say Poe for every detail adding to an undercurrent carrying meaningful foreshadowing or the sense of what's happening is actually all wrong...

Let's wait for the Winds of Winter together and have fun with the forum!

Blood and gore, surely, but also for the politicking and betrayal and unexpected turn of events that occur!
Poe is a great comparison I had not thought of. Indeed, the rich foreshadowing in the novels is what makes me truly appreciate them.

It's so weird to me that 'The Winds of Winter' is the first book title that begins with a definite article instead of "A."

My boyfriend hasn't read the books, so every trailer and teaser that have been released for season 4 have been an exercise in keeping a straight face as I listen to him telling me all of his theories! Only a couple of my friends have read the books, so I'm looking forward to getting involved in some chat here.

I have a tough time doing that with my friends and roommate, but so far I've been very good at discussing the television series with them and contributing to their theories without giving anything away!
I'm sure this forum will help me to continue this practice even better.

Edited by daedalus ennui

Hi, fairly new poster here

Big fan of epic fantasy, so of course I love the series in book and TV formats. I'm a self-employed small farmer in northern Michigan, doing goat dairy, goat meat, chickens for meat and eggs. Active 4-H mom as well. I also ride horses and compete in endurance rides (long distance cross country). I also have a sheep and an Angora goat and do some fiber crafts like spinning, weaving and crochet. We have a Great Dane for our house dog, which is like having a direwolf that sleeps all the time.

And right now, being in northern Michigan is a bit like living north of the wall (cold, lots of snow and pine trees and everyone hunts). I half expect to see White Walkers and mammoths when I wake up in the morning.