Introductions

Ran

Hello Everyone,

Another long-time lurker named Erinn wishing to introduce herself. Currently I reside in North Carolina, but am originally from Cleveland, Ohio and am a huge fan of the Browns and Indians (stop the snickering now, I can hear it :P ). But I refuse to give up faith that one day my one of my beloved teams will win a championship and banish once and forever the ghosts of "Red Right 88", "The Drive" and the "Curse of Rocky Colavito".

Like a lot of others, I came to the books via the show, and am just in awe of the world George has created! It really is a world in which you can lose yourself, something I desperately needed at the time. I had a three-year-old son and ten-month-old identical twin daughters and was really struggling with postpartum depression and the adjustment to motherhood. I really needed a "place" that I could just escape to, and reading the books and lurking the forums offered that to me.

Anyway, now that the little ones are getting a bit older and slightly more independent, I'm hoping to be more of a participant in the discussions and relinquish my lurker status. And I am so excited about attending my first con this weekend, ConCarolinas in Charlotte!

What else to say??? I love reading about history, especially as it relates to WWII. I'm also an obsessive fantasy football player, and love going to see live music when I can. And I'm really looking forward to contributing (hopefully something of use) to the board!

Welcome, Lady Sage and Spirit! :cheers:

Thank you for your nice introduction.

Hi all! My name's Amber, and I have a wildly unimaginative username :p

I had been lurking on this forum for several years before finally joining, as I simply enjoyed reading others' discussion without really feeling the need to join in. When I suddenly found myself with some free time on my hands I decided to start posting, and I haven't regretted it one moment :)

I study English Literature at Cambridge, so while I spend the greater part of the year in England I'm originally from Belgium. My greatest hobby is reading, but I also enjoy writing, rowing, and taking long walks.

I discovered ASoIaF some years ago; I was in Cambridge for my admission interview, but after the interview realised I hadn't brought any books that weren't related to said interview. I went into a bookshop, had a look around and found AGoT. While it appealed to me I actually didn't buy it, as I felt pretty drained from my interview and all the maps in the front and the name lists in the back made me think 'no way, not now' :p However, when I was home I found myself constantly thinking back on the book I'd shunned in favour of something that turned out to be absolute drivel, and decided to order it off Amazon. I never looked back since! :)

Thank you for the warm welcomes. :D

I can certainly see how an interest in history would lead you to Westeros.org. If you don't find any history threads you could start one and you'll probably find plenty of others like you. (I like English history but know little).

I will have to search for history threads, and if I don't find any, I might start one per your suggestion. B)

I am really excited about the upcoming Untold History of Westeros book!!! Not just as a fan of ASoIaf, but as a historian! While reading the books, I often yearned for more background on characters and the families, as well as more details of historical events mentioned throughout the text.

Hello Everyone,

Another long-time lurker named Erinn wishing to introduce herself. Currently I reside in North Carolina, but am originally from Cleveland, Ohio and am a huge fan of the Browns and Indians (stop the snickering now, I can hear it :P ). But I refuse to give up faith that one day my one of my beloved teams will win a championship and banish once and forever the ghosts of "Red Right 88", "The Drive" and the "Curse of Rocky Colavito".

Like a lot of others, I came to the books via the show, and am just in awe of the world George has created! It really is a world in which you can lose yourself, something I desperately needed at the time. I had a three-year-old son and ten-month-old identical twin daughters and was really struggling with postpartum depression and the adjustment to motherhood. I really needed a "place" that I could just escape to, and reading the books and lurking the forums offered that to me.

Anyway, now that the little ones are getting a bit older and slightly more independent, I'm hoping to be more of a participant in the discussions and relinquish my lurker status. And I am so excited about attending my first con this weekend, ConCarolinas in Charlotte!

What else to say??? I love reading about history, especially as it relates to WWII. I'm also an obsessive fantasy football player, and love going to see live music when I can. And I'm really looking forward to contributing (hopefully something of use) to the board!

Hi Erinn!

I notice you plan to go to ConCarolinas and though I won't be going I know several people from the board who plan to go. You can find them at TTTNE, here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110535-tttne-428-the-rhaenysbalerion-appreciation-thread/page-17

Hi all! My name's Amber, and I have a wildly unimaginative username :P

I had been lurking on this forum for several years before finally joining, as I simply enjoyed reading others' discussion without really feeling the need to join in. When I suddenly found myself with some free time on my hands I decided to start posting, and I haven't regretted it one moment :)

I study English Literature at Cambridge, so while I spend the greater part of the year in England I'm originally from Belgium. My greatest hobby is reading, but I also enjoy writing, rowing, and taking long walks.

I discovered ASoIaF some years ago; I was in Cambridge for my admission interview, but after the interview realised I hadn't brought any books that weren't related to said interview. I went into a bookshop, had a look around and found AGoT. While it appealed to me I actually didn't buy it, as I felt pretty drained from my interview and all the maps in the front and the name lists in the back made me think 'no way, not now' :P However, when I was home I found myself constantly thinking back on the book I'd shunned in favour of something that turned out to be absolute drivel, and decided to order it off Amazon. I never looked back since! :)

Hi Amber! Nice story. :)

Thank you for the warm welcomes. :D

I will have to search for history threads, and if I don't find any, I might start one per your suggestion. B)

I am really excited about the upcoming Untold History of Westeros book!!! Not just as a fan of ASoIaf, but as a historian! While reading the books, I often yearned for more background on characters and the families, as well as more details of historical events mentioned throughout the text.

I hope you find a kindred spirit or two.

For all of you, this is a nice place on the board to meet friendly people:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110535-tttne-428-the-rhaenysbalerion-appreciation-thread/

Here's an intro I wrote about The Thread That Never Ends:

What is TTTNE?

You could call The Thread That Never Ends a loooonng slow chat – with the goal of being poster #1,000. Posts on TTTNE are referred to in the aggregate as “spam” and posting as “spamming” and those who do it as “spammers”.

So the spam is a race within a chat and at the same time it is a community.

We support each other through the bad times and cheer when something good happens (we tend to use lots of emoticons).

We are all kinds of ages from 12 to 88. Single, married without kids, married with kid or kids – the whole gamut. We get to know each other’s families and even pets – for those that wish to share. Others choose not to talk about their personal lives and that’s fine as well. There’s talk about TV shows, movies, books. Some about broken hearts and other aggravations. Bad day at work? You will almost always find someone to commiserate with you at TTTNE.

There’s even a secret Santa – while that is a separate thread and you don’t have to be a spammer to join, it does tend to be mostly spammers.

TTTNE is not a place for politics, religion or divisive social issues – there’s GenChat for that.

The race rules are these (as laid down by the moderators of the board): Spam from post 1 to 950 should have meaningful content, whether in response to someone else’s post or as a statement of your own. From post 950 - 1000, special rules apply so that "GO!GO!GO!" is an acceptable post. If you are lucky #1,000, you get to pick the theme for and start the next thread.

The race happens with whoever is around at that point which given that we have posters from New Zealand, Australia, India, Dubai, throughout Europe and on across North America to Oregon, you can get some pretty interesting times of day for these things. You can be around TTTNE for months and not see the race. So it's a lot of fun to get in one and winning is a blast. Other than that, be respectful, and have fun. :)

Hi all! My name's Amber, and I have a wildly unimaginative username :P

I discovered ASoIaF some years ago; I was in Cambridge for my admission interview, but after the interview realised I hadn't brought any books that weren't related to said interview. I went into a bookshop, had a look around and found AGoT. While it appealed to me I actually didn't buy it, as I felt pretty drained from my interview and all the maps in the front and the name lists in the back made me think 'no way, not now' :P However, when I was home I found myself constantly thinking back on the book I'd shunned in favour of something that turned out to be absolute drivel, and decided to order it off Amazon. I never looked back since! :)

Welcome to the boards, Amber! :cheers:

<snip>

For all of you, this is a nice place on the board to meet friendly people:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110535-tttne-428-the-rhaenysbalerion-appreciation-thread/

Here's an intro I wrote about The Thread That Never Ends:

What is TTTNE?

You could call The Thread That Never Ends a loooonng slow chat – with the goal of being poster #1,000. Posts on TTTNE are referred to in the aggregate as “spam” and posting as “spamming” and those who do it as “spammers”.

So the spam is a race within a chat and at the same time it is a community.

We support each other through the bad times and cheer when something good happens (we tend to use lots of emoticons).

We are all kinds of ages from 12 to 88. Single, married without kids, married with kid or kids – the whole gamut. We get to know each other’s families and even pets – for those that wish to share. Others choose not to talk about their personal lives and that’s fine as well. There’s talk about TV shows, movies, books. Some about broken hearts and other aggravations. Bad day at work? You will almost always find someone to commiserate with you at TTTNE.

There’s even a secret Santa – while that is a separate thread and you don’t have to be a spammer to join, it does tend to be mostly spammers.

TTTNE is not a place for politics, religion or divisive social issues – there’s GenChat for that.

The race rules are these (as laid down by the moderators of the board): Spam from post 1 to 950 should have meaningful content, whether in response to someone else’s post or as a statement of your own. From post 950 - 1000, special rules apply so that "GO!GO!GO!" is an acceptable post. If you are lucky #1,000, you get to pick the theme for and start the next thread.

The race happens with whoever is around at that point which given that we have posters from New Zealand, Australia, India, Dubai, throughout Europe and on across North America to Oregon, you can get some pretty interesting times of day for these things. You can be around TTTNE for months and not see the race. So it's a lot of fun to get in one and winning is a blast. Other than that, be respectful, and have fun. :)

And you get welcomed by the Spam King (who happens to be me for this year) and the Spam Queen.

Actually, we TTTNE'ers don't talk about the race so much in the thread, you'll just see that posts come in a very quick rate.

I for my part can say that I found many friends in TTTNE. Not virtual but real friends. And that's why TTTNE is such a special place.

:cheers:

And you get welcomed by the Spam King (who happens to be me for this year) and the Spam Queen.

Actually, we TTTNE'ers don't talk about the race so much in the thread, you'll just see that posts come in a very quick rate.

I for my part can say that I found many friends in TTTNE. Not virtual but real friends. And that's why TTTNE is such a special place.

And you have been a very good Spam King, Your Grace.

As for not talking about the race, part of that is that the board mods prefer it that way till post 950. Instead, when the post #'s get up into the high 800's and low 900's the spammers make veiled references to it, like "not too long now...", "just 33 more posts till you know what!", "Here comes the "R" word!" It's pretty funny to me.

Completely agree about the friends. Speaking of which I need to go thank everybody, including you for the kind anniversary wishes. :)

Edited by Pollo de Uruguay

Welcome, Lady Sage and Spirit! :cheers:

Thank you for your nice introduction.

And thank you King Tyrion I for the very kind welcome!

Hi Erinn!

I notice you plan to go to ConCarolinas and though I won't be going I know several people from the board who plan to go. You can find them at TTTNE, here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110535-tttne-428-the-rhaenysbalerion-appreciation-thread/page-17

Thanks Pollo for the link, I will need to check it out! Hopefully I will meet some of those people this weekend! Less than 24 hours to go.......

And thank you King Tyrion I for the very kind welcome!

Thanks Pollo for the link, I will need to check it out! Hopefully I will meet some of those people this weekend! Less than 24 hours to go.......

=o)

You'll be welcome to come around.

Hi everyone, I've been lurking quite a while and decided I might as well register too ^^. My name is Ann and I live in Belgium.

I love reading, of course, and I'm currently studying nursing. I always loved reading but I never really got into fantasy until some years back, thanks to ASOIAF. So I can say I'm really thankfull, and a lot of new worlds have opened for me. I also love taking walks, watching football (the European football ;) ), and animals, penguins being my favourite but I like all kinds.
I have a lot of interests but I won't bother you with a list hehe.

Hi everyone, I've been lurking quite a while and decided I might as well register too ^^. My name is Ann and I live in Belgium.

I love reading, of course, and I'm currently studying nursing. I always loved reading but I never really got into fantasy until some years back, thanks to ASOIAF. So I can say I'm really thankfull, and a lot of new worlds have opened for me. I also love taking walks, watching football (the European football ;) ), and animals, penguins being my favourite but I like all kinds.

I have a lot of interests but I won't bother you with a list hehe.

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

Hello, all! This is my first post to these boards. I am happy to have found such a place, since people I work with and my friends get sick of listening to me talk about GoT. First, I haven't read the books. I plan to begin them this summer on my week of vacation. I have little time to read, so.. I am going to try my best at finishing the series in the next year... (if time allows me to.) However, I love the show... it's the best on TV. Glad to meet you all!!