Introductions

Ran

Hello, all! This is my first post to these boards. I am happy to have found such a place, since people I work with and my friends get sick of listening to me talk about GoT. First, I haven't read the books. I plan to begin them this summer on my week of vacation. I have little time to read, so.. I am going to try my best at finishing the series in the next year... (if time allows me to.) However, I love the show... it's the best on TV. Glad to meet you all!!

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

Hello I am HouseAoidh (gaelic, pronounced "House Ee") from Scotland, Dundee (Eastern Scotland), and I figured my clann name could serve as my username, I sometimes go as 'HausofStark', so we may have crossed paths elsewhere :laugh:

Been lurking here a while and decided to register, I read all the books because I was tired of seeing spoilers and after I had finished I was inevitably drawn to the wiki here. I read the books quickly in my final year of uni between season 3 and season 4 of the TV show, so missed a lot of the subtlety, but I've just graduated and I'm going to re-read them slowly, and hopefully will have lots to contribute here :read:

Edited by HouseAoidh

Hello all! Another lurker here finally deciding to go ahead and sign up, so I can discuss the wonders and mysteries of ASOIAF with others who have a similar obsession. I've read all of the novels released thus far, as well as all the Dunk and Egg tales, and The Princess and the Queen. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of The Rogue Prince later this month. I do watch the show as well, just to keep me satiated until the release of The World of Ice and Fire and , of course, The Winds of Winter...but, unfortunately, it simply pails in comparison.

I really look forward to meeting some cool people on here; not to mention having thought-provoking discussions, and debates over all the various theories(crackpot and otherwise :cool4:) and predictions. I absolutely love the Wiki too(it's so comprehensive!), so I know this has to be the go-to place for all things A Song of Ice and Fire related.

Thanks to everyone who keeps all aspects of this site up and running! You guys do an amazing job, and I'm honored to now be a member of your community.

Yet another new fan here! I'm Liz, and I live in Philly. I'm a longtime fantasy reader (and wannabe writer) with experience in other fandoms. A good friend gave me AGoT many years ago, but at the time I was deep into other series. I've always loved the Starks but was content to just remain an Unsullied HBO TV show viewer... that is, until recently.

I've always loved the Starks but was content to remain Unsullied. I confess that I'm more drawn to fantasy novels that focuses more on romance and/or retellings of traditional ballads, fairytales, and legends. However, because of the cross-pollination between fandoms I've been spoiled about many of the major main characters' story lines (Dany and her dragons, Red Wedding), which I didn't mind much. I've always been one of those awful readers who will sometimes flip to the last chapter, read that first, and go back. That's because I generally care more about processes than outcomes. Knowing what happened is a small part of the reading experience. I love stories that unfold brilliantly, showing the reader why and how something happened.

Anyway, it wasn't until this season that I was inspired to try reading the books again. Oberyn Martell and Ellaria Sand fascinated me, because until they popped up, I'd forgot all about Dorne and the fact that the former princess who was killed by the Mountain was Dornish. I began to wonder more about the backstory that the TV show isn't giving us. Finished AGoT a few weeks ago and Ned's chapters made me suspect something was up. I kept reading, but contacted my ASoIaF loving friends with my inklings about Ned's sister being a certain character's ---. Of course, they grinned and were like, "Oh boy. You have no idea how deep that rabbit hole goes... do you want spoilers?" My response was that they could spoil anything up through where the show is. They sat me down, and shared with me R+L=J. And I was hooked! (OK, maybe "obsessed" is the proper word. :cool4: )

Since then, I've gorged myself on the remaining books, and TPatQ. Can't wait to get into Dunk and Egg. Waiting alongside everyone else for TWoIaF and TWoW. Probably won't post much (I'm a new professor on the tenure track), but I just wanted to introduce myself and express thanks to the admins and mods for such an amazing site and Wiki.

I didn't realize this thread was here until now!

Well, I've been around for about a week and am overjoyed to a find a place that discusses ASOIAF as intelligently as you all do. I have few friends who read the novels so when I geek out on why I think R+L = J, they look at me quite strangely. Honestly, I think I've learned more about the series from reading posts and responding in threads than in all my re-reads.

My name's Jacquelyn and I live in the midwest. Started reading ASOIAF in about 2004 and couldn't put the books down (to this day I blame aGoT for why I failed my German final). I only just recently started watching the HBO show--I was worried that they would mess it up and didn't want to witness it. i know there are a lot of opinions about the show, but I think it's doing the books justice in some parts (less pleased with other parts--how could they not show the House of the Undying in its full. Forever sad over this)

Favorite characters: Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Jorah, Varys, Arya.

I don't really have a least favorite though I suspect I'll never warm up to Cersi or Stannis or Sansa. Jamie I'm coming around to, but that took a *very* long time.

It's nice talking to everyone here :)

Hello everyone!

My name is Eirlys, I'm 23 and I've only become interested in ASOIAF a few days ago. I still don't really know how I went from not being interested in the story at all to signing up here in the course of only one week.

I've known about the books and the tv show for almost two years, I think? I know a few people who read/watch it and I often saw posts about it on tumblr, but I never thought I would like it since I'm not that much into fantasy and I don't care that much about medieval stuff either.

But then a friend of mine started watching the show a few months ago and she kept talking about it, and last Monday I just spontaneously decided to give it a go. And then within a few minutes I was hooked. I just finished the last episode (4x9) today and now there's nothing left to watch. But I already bought the first book, so I know what I'll be doing the next few days...

There are a few things about the show that I find a bit frustrating, like not having enough time to give all the characters the time and development they deserve. Because of that I'm really looking forward to reading the books, since I don't expect this to be a problem there.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! :)

Edited by Eirlys

Thank you! :)

Unencumbered, the weird thing is that it's not the kind of show that I just completely obsess about and that I would stay up for until the middle of the night to watch it live. But it's strangely addictive? You just really want to know what happens next -- and if anyone actually survives.

I just started reading the first book... I heard that, even though the show is good, the books are much better. I've only read the first 150 pages so far but I like it already and it's interesting to see the differences between the book and the show. I also noticed that there are characters that I like in the book but not in the show. For example Jon Snow -- I like him in the book, at least in the small parts that he's had so far -- but in the show most of the time I just want to push him off that wall.

My favorite character is Jaime Lannister. I feel a bit morally compromised for liking him but I just think that he is a really interesting character, especially after you learn about his motovations behind the things he does. (Well, and he's pretty... but that has nothing to do with the fact that I like him... nothing at all...)

I also like Arya, Tyrion, Samwell and a few smaller characters.

Unfortunately there are a lot of characters on the show that I just don't care about because I feel like I don't know them at all. For example I didn't care about Robb Stark dying because I just didn't find him interesting at all. Maybe it's because I watched the show in such a short time. Hopefully it will be different when I read the books.

Edited by Eirlys

Thank you! :)

Unencumbered, the weird thing is that it's not the kind of show that I just completely obsess about and that I would stay up for until the middle of the night to watch it live. But it's strangely addictive? You just really want to know what happens next -- and if anyone actually survives.

I just started reading the first book... I heard that, even though the show is good, the books are much better. I've only read the first 150 pages so far but I like it already and it's interesting to see the differences between the book and the show. I also noticed that there are characters that I like in the book but not in the show. For example Jon Snow -- I like him in the book, at least in the small parts that he's had so far -- but in the show most of the time I just want to push him off that wall.

My favorite character is Jaime Lannister. I feel a bit morally compromised for liking him but I just think that he is a really interesting character, especially after you learn about his motovations behind the things he does. (Well, and he's pretty... but that has nothing to do with the fact that I like him... nothing at all...)

I also like Arya, Tyrion, Samwell and a few smaller characters.

Unfortunately there are a lot of characters on the show that I just don't care about because I feel like I don't know them at all. For example I didn't care about Robb Stark dying because I just didn't find him interesting at all. Maybe it's because I watched the show in such a short time. Hopefully it will be different when I read the books.

Hi Eirlys!

You'll find there are Jaime fans among us - even passionate ones, like my (our) friend, Dreamsongs.

I started out on the fence about Jamie, but he grows on me with each book. I love his journey. ASOIAF is often praised for its realism and Jaimie's journey throughout the books is about as real as it gets and fascinating to boot.

If you don't like to have the surprises in the book spoiled, I recommend you be careful where you go on Westeros. Almost all of Westeros except for the Still Reading Forum/A Game of Thrones (here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/50-a-game-of-thrones/ ) may contain spoilers for you. Most posters try to be careful, but in certain forums you need to be able to assume the other posters have read everything. Anyway, you probably have figured this out - I just don't want to see the books ruined for you.

Edited by Pollo de Uruguay

If you don't like to have the surprises in the book spoiled, I recommend you be careful where you go on Westeros. Almost all of Westeros except for the Still Reading Forum/A Game of Thrones (here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/50-a-game-of-thrones/ ) may contain spoilers for you. Most posters try to be careful, but in certain forums you need to be able to assume the other posters have read everything. Anyway, you probably have figured this out - I just don't want to see the books ruined for you.

Thank you for the warning and for your concern! :) I have to admit though that I'm far too curious when it comes to this kind of thing, so I actually spent the last few days reading article after article on the asoiaf wikia and probably know the biggest plot points by now. I don't really mind knowing things beforehand since I usually find the execution of the story more important than plot twists and shock moments. So even if I know that a certain thing will happen, I'm still looking forward to seeing how it will happen. Still, I'm kind of happy about the fact that there are still two books to come that I will be able to read without knowing anything beforehand. :)

Thank you for the warning and for your concern! :) I have to admit though that I'm far too curious when it comes to this kind of thing, so I actually spent the last few days reading article after article on the asoiaf wikia and probably know the biggest plot points by now. I don't really mind knowing things beforehand since I usually find the execution of the story more important than plot twists and shock moments. So even if I know that a certain thing will happen, I'm still looking forward to seeing how it will happen. Still, I'm kind of happy about the fact that there are still two books to come that I will be able to read without knowing anything beforehand. :)

Good.

I'm the same kind of reader. That allows me to enjoy the rereads even more. I'm reading the fourth book, AFFC (A Feast for Crows) for the third or fourth time presently and enjoying it more than ever.

Edited by Pollo de Uruguay