Introductions

Ran

Welcome, welcome!

I wish I could see everyone's faces, so I know who I'm conversing with! I wish there was some sort of "post pictures of yourself" thread.

That kind of exist IIRC there's some kind of "Where would you live in Westeros" thread or a "What famous person do you resemble" thread..... I used to have my picture up, but my guilty pleasure was starting it's new season so I wanted to represent accordingly :D Edited by Unencumbered

I wish I could see everyone's faces, so I know who I'm conversing with! I wish there was some sort of "post pictures of yourself" thread.

Especially in geek universe, some people don't want to exhibit pictures of themselves.

For whatever reasons, their employer of professor should not see what they do in their spare time or it may be self-consciousness or the "I hate every picture of myself" phase while growing up.

You look at the actual tree I am looking at outside my office/study window.

Plain unmodified photo at dawn/sunrise.

Edited by Jon Weirgaryen

J'ai fait des études de français il ya quelques années, et j'aime bien lire des livres en la vérsion originale. C'est pourquoi je parle le français et je l'aime bien.

Oui, j'ai rejoui d'être en Suisse. J'ai des amis à St. Gallen. Et j'ai un beau-frère suisse - il vient de Berne.

Si tu veux, je te donne ma main en amitié. =o) Je suis allemand.

"Yes, I live in Geneve". Je crois que tu as voulu dire cela, n'est-ce pas? ;o)

Thank you for your message :)

Your French is very good actually. I heard it's very hard to learn my language but it seems to be a legend ;p

Yes it means I live in Geneva. Switzerland is a small country but a nice country ^^

Yes for your hand, with pleasure

Hey Aptdando, :)

I'm interested in what was wrong with the book covers :D

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join and become apart of the ASOIAF forum community :D

I'm like you, I'm a fan of both the show and tv series and honestly I couldn't get enough when I started! Who are your favorite character(s) and house?

Sorry some stuff were lost in translation, :( though it sounds exciting, or just plan confusing..... Depending on what was altered. :P

Anyway, I'm glad you're able to reread everything in English.

Most of the people on here are easy enough to get along with so you should be just fine.

Until next time, have fun!

Thanks! Actually it is not just the covers (which are simply plain), but the book themselves, since in italy and I guess in other parts of europe every novel was split in three. We are still waiting for the translation of two thirds of ADWD. As for the translation, the main complaint is the fantasy of the translator, who sometimes thinks he can change things randomly. In the very first Bran's chapter in AGOT the stag's horn killing the mother direwolf magically turns into an unicorn horn.. I mean, unicorns don't even exist in the asoiaf universe! Another time, iirc, he has added the name Eddard in front of Stark, but actually that Stark is probably referring to Brandon (it's something regarding Lyanna, I think). Other than this, the translation is fine, but I think this mistakes can really change the experience.

Anyway I'll definetely have fun :)

Welcome, welcome!

That kind of exist IIRC there's some kind of "Where would you live in Westeros" thread or a "What famous person do you resemble" thread..... I used to have my picture up, but my guilty pleasure was starting it's new season so I wanted to represent accordingly :D

Thank you! Actually, it is fun discovering how people you interact on the internet look like, but yeah, it doesn't happen often on forums.

Welcome, welcome!

There is a Rogues Gallery, but only 94 (including me) of 70,000 are on it. Only a handful that I know are there: http://asoiaf.guppysfilms.com/categories.php?cat_id=1

If you want to post your own picture there, the top post on this page has an email address where you can send it: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/19107-rogues-gallery-re-open-for-business/

@Aptdando: welcome! :cheers: Nice to have Italy, France, and Spain all represented on one page of the introductions thread. In case any of you are followingthe World Cup, there's a lot of interest for that here as well and you can find the topics being discussed here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/97-copa-do-mundo-world-cup-2014/

Edited by honeyed chicken

Thank you for providing that info, honeyed chicken!

I highly doubt an employer or professor would care what their colleagues or students posted on a Game of Thrones/ASOIAF forum. It's not like anything here is illegal or socially frowned upon in any major way! Sure, it's a tad nerdy, but being a nerd ain't a crime in my opinion! :smug:

My icon is myself holding a coffee mug with a pomeranian on it. Because I have a pomeranian named Desmond, and he is kind of the greatest dog ever.

I highly doubt an employer or professor would care what their colleagues or students posted on a Game of Thrones/ASOIAF forum. It's not like anything here is illegal or socially frowned upon in any major way! Sure, it's a tad nerdy, but being a nerd ain't a crime in my opinion! :smug:

You'd be surprised what employers and professors actually *know* about their employees resp. students.

In times of Facebook where at least I don't have an account you can never be sure.

And there are other reasons for not wanting other people to know one's looks.

If you want a pic of your opposite, go ahead and ask via PM, I'd strongly recommend that.

Edited by King Tyrion I

Thank you for providing that info, honeyed chicken!

My icon is myself holding a coffee mug with a pomeranian on it. Because I have a pomeranian named Desmond, and he is kind of the greatest dog ever.

I would second what King Tyrion I said. You and I have no way to know who accesses the information, pictures and etc we put here. And to what purpose that info might be used.

KT I, you can confirm or deny, but it seems to me we Americans share more than European and other non-American posters on this board. That's an unscientific opinion. And I have no explanation for why it is true, if so. Just something to be aware if a fellow poster seems stand offish.

If you would like to get to know a group of ASOIAF/Westeros.org fans personally, this is a nice group (imo) that both KT I & I are part of: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112857-tttne-430-and-they-spammed-happily-ever-after/

Edited by honeyed chicken

I would second what King Tyrion I said. You and I have no way to know who accesses the information, pictures and etc we put here. And to what purpose that info might be used.

KT I: Indeed.

KT I, you can confirm or deny, but it seems to me we Americans share more than European and other non-American posters on this board. That's an unscientific opinion. And I have no explanation for why it is true, if so. Just something to be aware if a fellow poster seems stand offish.

KT I: I think I can confirm that.

If you would like to get to know a group of ASOIAF/Westeros.org fans personally, this is a nice group (imo) that both KT I & I are part of: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112857-tttne-430-and-they-spammed-happily-ever-after/

You'd be welcome there. And there you have the chance to get us to know more personally if you want to. All it takes is an open heart and open mind for new people. And care. Care for people you befriend, because we are friends. We are there for each other in times of need and pull for each other - even if we live at different places in the world. We really are. That's no empty statement.

:cheers: for my friends! You know who you are. And I don't want to miss anyone of you.

You'd be welcome there. And there you have the chance to get us to know more personally if you want to. All it takes is an open heart and open mind for new people. And care. Care for people you befriend, because we are friends. We are there for each other in times of need and pull for each other - even if we live at different places in the world. We really are. That's no empty statement.

:cheers: for my friends! You know who you are. And I don't want to miss anyone of you.

And the King of Spam would know! ;) [_]P & :cheers: (since it is just noon here, one could go either way. :)

Greetings, everyone. B)

A brief introduction: I'm from New Jersey. I'm an avid fan of the ASoIaF book series. I've just recently completed ADwD. I really enjoyed it, but my favorite might still be ASoS. As far as favorite characters; Jon & Ghost, Arya, as well as most of House Stark. I could list many more, but those are chief among my favorites.

I've seen all of the HBO show and enjoy that as well. I'm going through heavy withdrawal after finishing ADwD, so I'm looking into reading The Hedge Knight. I'm hoping maybe someone else can give advice as to how to pass time till Winds of Winter. :dunno:

Anyway, pleased to make your acquaintance and I'm looking forward to discussing the books!

I'm hoping maybe someone else can give advice as to how to pass time till Winds of Winter. :dunno:

Anyway, pleased to make your acquaintance and I'm looking forward to discussing the books!

Have a cup of tea and suffer as we all do ;) [_]o welcome to the forums :cheers:

Greetings, everyone. B)

A brief introduction: I'm from New Jersey. I'm an avid fan of the ASoIaF book series. I've just recently completed ADwD. I really enjoyed it, but my favorite might still be ASoS. As far as favorite characters; Jon & Ghost, Arya, as well as most of House Stark. I could list many more, but those are chief among my favorites.

I've seen all of the HBO show and enjoy that as well. I'm going through heavy withdrawal after finishing ADwD, so I'm looking into reading The Hedge Knight. I'm hoping maybe someone else can give advice as to how to pass time till Winds of Winter. :dunno:

Welcome to Westeros Wolf Dreams! :cheers:

We all have withdrawals waiting for TWOW. Here's one silly way to help pass the time: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/110264-bump-this-thread-every-day-until-twow-releases/

There are also some leaked chapters around if you don't mind or even like spoilers. Let me know if you're interested and I can post a link or two.

Greetings, everyone. B)

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

And the King of Spam would know! ;) [_]P & :cheers: (since it is just noon here, one could go either way. :)

Of course I would. :smug:

Edited by King Tyrion I

I totally understand what you mean. I haven't had a Facebook in over 5 years, by choice. I don't need everyone knowing my personal details and day-to-day activities, nor do I want to be bombarded with everyone elses. But that's just me.

Americans DO share more personal information with each other on social networking mediums, it's true. For my BA in Sociology, I did a 4-month long research project and 30-page paper comparing Internet usage amongst Americans, the Chinese, and Swedes. My findings, based on previous literature, showed that Americans are a lot more narcissistic in information sharing than the other two countries by FAR. Chinese were the heaviest online forum users.

The more you know! :read:

I swear I meant no harm in my curiosity in what fellow posters look like, but I'm sure you know that. I just think this is an awesome place full of what seems like awesome people. ^_^

Thank you for your message :)

Your French is very good actually. I heard it's very hard to learn my language but it seems to be a legend ;p

Yes it means I live in Geneva. Switzerland is a small country but a nice country ^^

Yes for your hand, with pleasure

Merci beaucoup. =o)

Je sais parler le Latin aussi, alors je n'ai pas de problème d'apprendre les languages romanes.

I totally understand what you mean. I haven't had a Facebook in over 5 years, by choice. I don't need everyone knowing my personal details and day-to-day activities, nor do I want to be bombarded with everyone elses. But that's just me.

Americans DO share more personal information with each other on social networking mediums, it's true. For my BA in Sociology, I did a 4-month long research project and 30-page paper comparing Internet usage amongst Americans, the Chinese, and Swedes. My findings, based on previous literature, showed that Americans are a lot more narcissistic in information sharing than the other two countries by FAR. Chinese were the heaviest online forum users.

The more you know! :read:

I swear I meant no harm in my curiosity in what fellow posters look like, but I'm sure you know that. I just think this is an awesome place full of what seems like awesome people. ^_^

This is interesting. It really is. And you'd be really welcome in TTTNE. =o)

Edited by King Tyrion I

I lurked that thread after you provided the link, and I had no idea what I was looking at or what anyone was talkng about. :leaving:

Get involved. You can refer to HC or me that we told you about the thread.

We do discuss quite a range of things, but we don't talk religion, feminism or other things that really could set the thread afire.

In case of the show (GoT), we use mostly spoilers because not everybody gets to see the newest episode at the same time - we have members from America and all over Europe.