Introductions

Ran

I just re-read the introduction I posted a year ago. At the time, I was only 2 seasons into the show and just getting started on the books...

Update! :)

Finished all the books and all 4 seasons of the show. I also moved from California to Hawaii (any GOT fans on Oahu? We should hang out! :D) last summer for my job.

I just re-read the introduction I posted a year ago. At the time, I was only 2 seasons into the show and just getting started on the books...

Update! :)

Finished all the books and all 4 seasons of the show. I also moved from California to Hawaii (any GOT fans on Oahu? We should hang out! :D) last summer for my job.

Welcome! I went to Oahu last year for 2 weeks. It was my first time to Hawaii, and I loved it.

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to the forum but have been lurking around the last two years. Please be gentle if my english is clumsy: I'm from Germany and better in understanding than in speaking.

I began reading ASoIaF (german translation) in 2010 and loved the story from the beginning even if I have been not always happy with everything Martin does. The first season of the TV-Adaption "Game of Thrones" I saw too, but I have to say that I'm very sceptical towards it, especially towards the seemingly urge to show even more savagery then written down in the books and towards the changes in the story. So I don't watch it anymore.

My favourite characters surely are *squints at the Username* Brienne and Arya, but I love the stories of many of the others, too. This forum I do like because it's a fountain of knowledge and theories - exciting, instructive and sometimes even annoying... :cool4: Glad, to be here with you!

welcome I'mnoLady :cheers: neither am I :lol:

Don't worry about your english, you're not the only one from Germany. Just try to avoid the sssharp sss ssssoundsss, nobody will notice :D (works with me)

Hello all :smug:

I've been lurking around for a few months and decided to join the forum as I am currently on vacation. Usually I go to boarding school so I'm not that much on the internet. I'm from Croatia.

I started reading ASoIaF last year and loved it. I'm currently on a reread (AFFC) and I understand a lot more than I did on my first read. I don't seem to like reading the usual stuff I used to read prior to ASoIaF because everything else seems so predictable and boring compared to it.

Of course, I have also seen the first 3 seasons of GoT and didn't like the changes that were made in the show. I've seen only some scenes from s4 and it seems to me there are spoilers to come so I don't think I'll be watching the series anymore.

I haven't read Dunk and Egg series and novellas as the only available version is in Croatian, and I read all the books in English so I think it would sort of ruin the experience. My favourite books are ofc ASoS and AGoT, but despite the hate, I actually enjoy AFfC on my reread, and hope that ADwD will be like that as well. My favourite characters are Arya, Bran, Theon, Sansa and Dany.

I like this forum because here are so many theories and that's probably the best part of waiting for the next book (if there is any good part of that). So, looking forward to discuss the books and so on. :cool4:

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to the forum but have been lurking around the last two years. Please be gentle if my english is clumsy: I'm from Germany and better in understanding than in speaking.

I began reading ASoIaF (german translation) in 2010 and loved the story from the beginning even if I have been not always happy with everything Martin does. The first season of the TV-Adaption "Game of Thrones" I saw too, but I have to say that I'm very sceptical towards it, especially towards the seemingly urge to show even more savagery then written down in the books and towards the changes in the story. So I don't watch it anymore.

My favourite characters surely are *squints at the Username* Brienne and Arya, but I love the stories of many of the others, too. This forum I do like because it's a fountain of knowledge and theories - exciting, instructive and sometimes even annoying... :cool4: Glad, to be here with you!

Your English is fine! Don't worry, have fun & welcome to Westeros.org!!

Don't worry about your english, you're not the only one from Germany. Just try to avoid the sssharp sss ssssoundsss, nobody will notice :D (works with me)

"nobody will will notice" ? . . . but you already told us :leaving:

Hello all :smug:

I've been lurking around for a few months and decided to join the forum as I am currently on vacation. Usually I go to boarding school so I'm not that much on the internet. I'm from Croatia.

I started reading ASoIaF last year and loved it. I'm currently on a reread (AFFC) and I understand a lot more than I did on my first read. I don't seem to like reading the usual stuff I used to read prior to ASoIaF because everything else seems so predictable and boring compared to it.

Of course, I have also seen the first 3 seasons of GoT and didn't like the changes that were made in the show. I've seen only some scenes from s4 and it seems to me there are spoilers to come so I don't think I'll be watching the series anymore.

I haven't read Dunk and Egg series and novellas as the only available version is in Croatian, and I read all the books in English so I think it would sort of ruin the experience. My favourite books are ofc ASoS and AGoT, but despite the hate, I actually enjoy AFfC on my reread, and hope that ADwD will be like that as well. My favourite characters are Arya, Bran, Theon, Sansa and Dany.

I like this forum because here are so many theories and that's probably the best part of waiting for the next book (if there is any good part of that). So, looking forward to discuss the books and so on. :cool4:

Welcome! You should feel right at home here. The Ex-Yu is well represented.

Welcome @I'mnoLady!

and yay, @Adara:

I only found out the other week, there is "Adara und der Eisdrache" in German translation.

Oh, I don't want to read the books in german. I'm looking forward to this *happy*

Nor do I. The rest of my family might, though.

The story "The Ice Dragon" can be found in the RRetrospective "Dreamsongs", which is worth reading whole, so no need to wait for a new hardcover, unless you really want that.

When I first saw the Luis Royo cover, I knew I wanted it. "Now, THAT is an Ice Dragon"! :lol: (Luis Royo's work usually is more like... dunno .. eyecandy for guys? :D Anyway. Great artist.)

SPOILERS

Hello my name is Eire, and I am new here. I have read GOT 1-4 and have started on book 5.

I wanted to post on this topic to write about the white walkers, and my opinion on seeing them in a kingdom with a king, (or priest) after picking up the baby.

This is just me speculating, so bear with me, and not everyone has to agree: Rather than have a white walker kingdom with a king, and so on, I always thought the white walkers were something more primitive. The white walkers are NOT human; anatomically they have humanoid features (except their exterior integumentay system) , but they are not humans. I always thought that the whitewalkers were more primitive in nature and acted similar in some ways to an undomesticated animal. Although, you can think of them as a pack , or a pride, and they seem to have an animal mentality versus the way a human psyche does. They do not seem to have an alpha , beta, omega, gamma , or zeta like a pack does, but psychology wise they are animals as they lack : mercy, and bliss that makes a human. Instead for the others these emotions are replaced with insticts that weigh heavily on dominance , and submissiveness. An example of this episode was the first season of the first episode when they let that guy go because he submitted. The white walkers understand/or sense that humans are different in their way of thinking , and so they exploit it , by acting on their fear.While the show may want to make them have a king, a city, and a palace is up to the show and G.R. martin,( and it is okay for them to put that there) but I think it is comparing them too much to the other houses of Westeros by doing it that way.

Tell me what you think please, I welcome all comments. I love the whitewalkers they are mysterious, and evil, - and I love it. I liked the entire episode and everything that we learned about the whitewalkers from it. Until I saw a kingdom , and a ruler- like they can have a god and a king, but I hope the show/books remembers they are not humans, and not to make them too general, and less mysterious, otherwise everything would feel very anticlamatic :bang:

(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.)

SPOILERS

Hello my name is Eire, and I am new here. I have read GOT 1-4 and have started on book 5.

I wanted to post on this topic to write about the white walkers, and my opinion on seeing them in a kingdom with a king, (or priest) after picking up the baby.

This is just me speculating, so bear with me, and not everyone has to agree: Rather than have a white walker kingdom with a king, and so on, I always thought the white walkers were something more primitive. The white walkers are NOT human; anatomically they have humanoid features (except their exterior integumentay system) , but they are not humans. I always thought that the whitewalkers were more primitive in nature and acted similar in some ways to an undomesticated animal. Although, you can think of them as a pack , or a pride, and they seem to have an animal mentality versus the way a human psyche does. They do not seem to have an alpha , beta, omega, gamma , or zeta like a pack does, but psychology wise they are animals as they lack : mercy, and bliss that makes a human. Instead for the others these emotions are replaced with insticts that weigh heavily on dominance , and submissiveness. An example of this episode was the first season of the first episode when they let that guy go because he submitted. The white walkers understand/or sense that humans are different in their way of thinking , and so they exploit it , by acting on their fear.While the show may want to make them have a king, a city, and a palace is up to the show and G.R. martin,( and it is okay for them to put that there) but I think it is comparing them too much to the other houses of Westeros by doing it that way.

Tell me what you think please, I welcome all comments. I love the whitewalkers they are mysterious, and evil, - and I love it. I liked the entire episode and everything that we learned about the whitewalkers from it. Until I saw a kingdom , and a ruler- like they can have a god and a king, but I hope the show/books remembers they are not humans, and not to make them too general, and less mysterious, otherwise everything would feel very anticlamatic :bang:

Welcome, Eire, to the boards! :cheers:

It was interesting to read your post - and it got me thinking. No kidding.

SPOILERS

Welcome aboard!

I'm not sure we've witnessed enough Other to Other interaction to really have a sense of their social structure. Additionally, non-human species exhibit a wide variety of command and control systems, and even just pure communication.

There are elements which suggest a sub-human strain...the Wildlings seem to have surmounted the issue of the Wall in a way the Others presumably have not, but unknowables so like magic might be at play there. On the other hand, GRRM gas postulated hypothetical questions about their society which might suggest that they are at least comparable to humans in terms of motivation and organization. The good news for you is that the next book or 3 are probably going to include a lot more exploration of them than we've seen so far.

Cheers for sharing, and enjoy the boards.

Edited by Don Diego d'Arrynos

SPOILERS

[...]

Hello Eire, welcome to the forum!

You have started with a splash, thank you for that.

There is a caveat: the forum is full of spoilers, so if you want to be fully unspoiledly engrossed in GRRM stuff, go on reading until you are finished. Read ADwD at the least, if you feel funky, you can read ADwD and re-read AFfC in the order that things happen by help of this thingy: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

There are a few more sources, the Dunk and Egg stories, The Rogue Prince and The Princess and The Queen that are historical World of Ice and Fire stories, but they do not contain stuff about the Others.

Then there is what GRRM has said about them, in the SSMs. There we learn, what you may see if you re-read the prologue of A Game of Thrones once more. They are civilised, use language, play with the rangers before they fight, they laugh...

While they are not human, they come with a number of human features, they definitely use swords, although not made of any metal known to the Westerosi, they range in groups.

And unlike in the show, they do not necessarily steal babies. We do not learn, in the book, who it actiually is that steals off with Craster's son. Maybe an Other, may well be, or may be something else.

There are numerous threads about the Others, have a look what's there, but maybe you'd rather want to read ADwD before you delve into despoiled discussions.

edited to add: A few of us here imagine, that there may possibly only be a very small number of Others around, maybe less than a dozen. How many Others have been appearing in the books? ;-)

Edited by Jon Weirgaryen