Introductions

Ran

I've been a lurker for what feels like years. I'm going to commit to engaging myself. I'm experimenting with leaving facebook behind, and instead focusing on intelligent conversation with you folks. I do not come across videos of babies getting beaten with pillows, or others partaking in pretty legit propaganda here. It's a safe place to be "Internet social" with like minded individuals. I'm thankful for this forum, reading it and interacting has always felt constructive. I am also greatful for ASOIAF. I feel this world is something that brings us together, captivates our imaginations, and binds us forever. See you around! Winter is coming

I'm thankful for this forum, reading it and interacting has always felt constructive. I am also greatful for ASOIAF. I feel this world is something that brings us together, captivates our imaginations, and binds us forever. See you around! Winter is coming

Welcome to the forum @donald*rain -- what a nice introduction and I see you have already settled in.

Edited by Jon Weirgaryen

Hi Westeros, glad to be here. I recently retired and have started up on my love of reading. I have an addictive personality and won't stop reading once I start (if it's good) so I stayed away from large books as much as possible while I was working. Helicopter pilots should not be reading while flying. I made a HUGE mistake of not picking up a series I enjoyed as a child and catching up on the books I missed........ I simply assumed they were as good as I thought when I was 14. NOT TRUE. Holy cow. I have never been more angry at the drivel I downloaded on my kindle as I was when I began "catching up" on this series. What a waste of money. Thankfully I was able to sell a collector edition that I had from that series and recoup my losses, and also pay for part of my roof repair.

Luckily, I googled "books that don't suck" and "books as far from -------- as possible". I was whisked to this wonderful place, as well as Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. Thank you Pat and everyone on Westeros for gifting me with lists and lists of wonderful reading material.

My finished novels include Brent Weeks, Mark Lawrence, Robin Hobb, Anthony Ryan, Will Wight, and Robert Redick, to name a few. I found Game Of Thrones while in Iraq and quickly caught up on George RR Martin's series. Oddly enough, I discovered the Red Wolf Conspiracy in Afghanistan and caught up on that series while there.

(Slight derailment: my trip to Iraq was before the Kindle....and it was a heavy book heaving trip. My subsequent trips were post-kindle and more back friendly. Hey, I said I stayed away as much as possible, not that I was good at staying away)

My to do list includes Joe Abercrombie, Jim Butcher, and catching the newest books out by the previous authors.

Once again, glad to be here, I will try to add more than I take away.

Hi Westeros, glad to be here. I recently retired and have started up on my love of reading. I have an addictive personality and won't stop reading once I start (if it's good) so I stayed away from large books as much as possible while I was working. Helicopter pilots should not be reading while flying. I made a HUGE mistake of not picking up a series I enjoyed as a child and catching up on the books I missed........ I simply assumed they were as good as I thought when I was 14. NOT TRUE. Holy cow. I have never been more angry at the drivel I downloaded on my kindle as I was when I began "catching up" on this series. What a waste of money. Thankfully I was able to sell a collector edition that I had from that series and recoup my losses, and also pay for part of my roof repair.

Luckily, I googled "books that don't suck" and "books as far from -------- as possible". I was whisked to this wonderful place, as well as Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. Thank you Pat and everyone on Westeros for gifting me with lists and lists of wonderful reading material.

My finished novels include Brent Weeks, Mark Lawrence, Robin Hobb, Anthony Ryan, Will Wight, and Robert Redick, to name a few. I found Game Of Thrones while in Iraq and quickly caught up on George RR Martin's series. Oddly enough, I discovered the Red Wolf Conspiracy in Afghanistan and caught up on that series while there.

(Slight derailment: my trip to Iraq was before the Kindle....and it was a heavy book heaving trip. My subsequent trips were post-kindle and more back friendly. Hey, I said I stayed away as much as possible, not that I was good at staying away)

My to do list includes Joe Abercrombie, Jim Butcher, and catching the newest books out by the previous authors.

Once again, glad to be here, I will try to add more than I take away.

My ambition is to do what you're doing. Retire and read.

Nice to have you here! :cheers:

Hey there. Just discovered this thread, been here two months now, I think. Never introduced myself, guess I'm doing it now. (Sorry for short sentences, bit medicated). Welcome to the other newcomers. :cheers:

Also wanted to say this is the best forum I have come across so far. Most of the people here seem highly intelligent. Most of the conversations are civil, something I never experienced on other boards. Love the re-read projects and some of the theories. Overall, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here.

Oh year, I'm 24 and proudly South African. I absolutely love music. Big Pink Floyd, Leonard Cohen and Jimi Hendrix fan. I love all kinds of music: from Reggae to Qawali.

Edited by Kyoshi

Well I've introduced myself already, but I just wanted to stop by this thread again and say that after almost a month of being here I absolutely love it. It's the perfect mix of Game of Thrones and everything else. I spend a lot of time in the General Discussion section and there's been a thread for everything I've wanted to talk about. Everyone I've encountered have been extremely nice and I've learned quite a bit more about GoT from all the helpful members. Its been fun filling in the time leading up to Season 5 discussing the casting/filming news and other little tidbits :) I've also enjoyed looking through The Objects of Ice and Fire section. Awesome merchandise and collectibles I've come across as well as the fans that love this series is wonderful.

Edited by Jack Bauer 24

Welcome, Kyoshi! :cheers:

What is Qawaii music?

Thank you! :cheers:

The best way I can describe it is to quote wikipedia: "a form of Sufi devotional music popular in South Asia." It's very calming. It can be very poetic, it's just beautiful.

Well I've introduced myself already, but I just wanted to stop by this thread again and say that after almost a month of being here I absolutely love it. It's the perfect mix of Game of Thrones and everything else. I spend a lot of time in the General Discussion section and there's been a thread for everything I've wanted to talk about. Everyone I've encountered have been extremely nice and I've learned quite a bit more about GoT from all the helpful members. Its been fun filling in the time leading up to Season 5 discussing the casting/filming news and other little tidbits :) I've also enjoyed looking through The Objects of Ice and Fire section. Awesome merchandise and collectibles I've come across as well as the fans that love this series is wonderful.

Have you come across any spoilers yet?

Hello, everyone. I'm a recent convert to the ASoIaF fandom. I enjoy reading, particularly fantasy, science fiction, horror and historical fiction. Oh, and I also like puns.

Welcome to the forums :cheers: I have to confess, I like your name :D