Introductions

Ran

Hello everyone! I'm Ser Bucket (though you all can just call me Bucket =P). Game of Thrones is definitely one of my favorite things, in like....my whole life. Its seriously so fresh and macabre and darkly humorous and surprising and I just love it. I hope you guys don't hate show-only watchers (I'm sorry!!), as I haven't read the books yet, but I did just buy the first book and I intend to read that very soon.

Anyways, I've been in and around forums for a long time, but the one I normally frequent has declined rather sharply, so I'm on a quest to find a new home! Can't wait to start posting and hope to see you all around!

~All Hail Stannis, The One True King of Westeros!!!~

Welcome to Westeros.org, Bucket! :cheers:

Nothing wrong with loving the show. That's what got me started, but once you pick up the books and see the richness of them, well, I know you'll draw your own conclusion.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Hello everyone!

I joined in some time ago but nevere seen this thread until recently..

Anyway..just wanted to thank all people here, you are very very nice intelligent and interesting people.

Here I can always find some food for thought, I have discovered I missed so much in reading...when I finished the book I started re-reading but..how could I just wait for TWOW to be released?

This forum really "saved" me!

I like the games, I like weird theories, I can always expect at least one good laugh in some threads, and I can always find help in understanding things big and small.

Even the stupidest question goes never unanswered and very kindly too.

I am not yet familiar with all the many many possibility of the forum, mainly because I spend most of my free time on the threads, I like them too much!

Shortly, thank you all parcitipants and mods for you wit, patience and keeping this forum!

:grouphug:

Hey Kikajon! :cheers:

I've been seeing you around for a while now, so I don't think of you as a noob. Any friend of forum games is a friend of mine! :)

Hii! :)

I'm a 22 year old female from Europe. My hobbies are reading, gaming, traveling, cooking, baking and surfing. I just finished reading A Dance with Dragons so I thought I'd make a profile here :)

I love how well written the books are and the extensive storyline and all the characters.

My favorite characters are Daenerys, Tyrion, Jon Snow, Sansa, Kevan, Varys, Littlefinger, Myrcella, Tommen, Eddard, Barristan, Stannis, Doran, Oberyn and Margaery.

My least favorite characters are Joffrey & Ramsay & Walder Frey (obviously), Theon, Catelyn, Ser Jorah, Arya, Melisandre and more

I have cosplayed Daenerys as she's one of my favorites and I look similar to her (same hair :P)

Really excited for Winds of Winter and sharing thoeries and discussions with ya all! :D

Edited by Liaraeyne

Hii! :)

I'm a 22 year old female from Europe. My hobbies are reading, gaming, traveling, cooking, baking and surfing. I just finished reading A Dance with Dragons so I thought I'd make a profile here :)

I love how well written the books are and the extensive storyline and all the characters.

My favorite characters are Daenerys, Tyrion, Jon Snow, Sansa, Kevan, Varys, Littlefinger, Myrcella, Tommen, Eddard, Barristan, Stannis, Doran, Oberyn and Margaery.

My least favorite characters are Joffrey & Ramsay & Walder Frey (obviously), Theon, Catelyn, Ser Jorah, Arya, Melisandre and more

I have cosplayed Daenerys as she's one of my favorites and I look similar to her (same hair :P)

Really excited for Winds of Winter and sharing thoeries and discussions with ya all! :D

Welcome Liaraeyne! :cheers:

I'm curious about the origin of your name. People do such a great job of coming up with new and unusual names that fit the ASOIAF theme - or maybe I'm just easily impressed.

I'm from Vermont in the states, but Europe is very well represented here.

I spend a lot of time on TTTNE (The Thread That Never Ends - currently, here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/116924-tttne-436-the-pool-hasnt-closed-yet-put-the-umbrellas-back-out/page-16 ) and our little group includes two Germans, three or four Swedes, half a dozen in the UK, a Dane, A Dutchman, a Slovene, A Serb living in Dubai, a Hungarian, a Russian, a Bulgarian and a Turk too, I believe. (and I nearly forgot our Greek contingent! :blushing: )

I want to comment on your character likes and dislikes.

I love that you include Littlefinger as one of your faves, and dislike Arya.

Littlefinger is fascinating to me. I don't like him, but I find him fascinating. He turns off most readers with his lying and scheming, so I think they willfully underestimate his importance to the plot direction. I'm pretty sure he's going to be in the thick of things right to the end. I very carefully read the chapters he's in to glean whatever I can about his methods and intentions.

The reason I like your willingness to admit you don't like Arya is that so many do like her, so you're swimming against the tide. That interests me. Do you not like the way she is written?s she unbelievable to you as a character, or is it more that she's not somebody you would like in real life?

And I should say, I'm very happy that you put Daenerys high on your like list. It seems to be very trendy to dislike her for some reason. I find her to be admirable in many ways. Her struggles in Meereen reveal a good heart and a fair bit of wisdom and self sacrifice from one so young. I have a friend who dislikes Dany and all things Targaryen, but to me Dany helps make judging the Targaryens a difficult task - it makes them altogether a more complex picture to look at.

eta

I just read your likes again:

Surfing?

That seems a bit unusual for a European. Where does one surf in Europe?

Gaming.

Board/table games (such as this one: http://imgur.com/gallery/zhOGJTF/new)? I'm a big fan myself. Or is it more the digital kind? Computer games?

Baking.

On TTTNE you will find several people who bake avidly and then post pictures. :drool:

Edited by honeyed chicken

Thank you for the warm welcome you guys! :D

Honeyed chicken: thank you for taking such an interest in my post! :D My name is something I came up with by myself. It's not based on anything :) I'm a fantasy fan, I like elves and fairies and whatnot, and I wanted an Elvish name to go by on the internet :P After a while of pondering and writing things down I came up with this ^^ inspiration isn't something that just comes to you, its comes from work ^^

The TTTNE thread sounds fun, is it a thread where you can post anything fun, or post about your life? :)

Yesss Littlefinger is fascinating!!! I hope GRRM won't kill him for a longgg time. I also read everything about Littlefinger carefully. He will probably be even more important later on than he is now. He's so smart and plans everything eerily well. He seems to know very well whom he can trust and whom he can't trust. For example, he trusted the queen of thorns in cooporating with him in killing Joffrey. She could've betrayed him, he would've been executed and she could possibly have received a huge financial reward, but still he knew he could trust her. On the other hand, he had Dontos killed immediately after he delivered Sansa beceause he knew he couldn't trust him. His intelligence and cunning never cease to amaze me!

Hmm, well, I just really don't like Arya... I've disliked her from the beginning. She was very uninteresting to me, a cliche'd, unconvincing tomboy. She also doesn't have much of a personality to speak of besides a touch of psychopathy... but she's not an interesting psychopath such as Aerys, Joffrey or Walder Frey. I also personally think her death prayer storyline is kind of lame. But what I perhaps dislike most is her storyline. She's just not getting ANYWHERE. It's the same everytime, she's almost here or there, is almost going to meet her family and then... nope. Happened so many times it really started to annoy me. It also annoys me that she constantly bites her lip. ''She chewed her lip'' Yeah, NOW we know! Her chapters are a lot of wandering around and I read them with very little attention, so sometimes I miss stuff... I did carefully read the part about her meeting Edric Dayne, and for a while I was utterly convinced that HE was Aegon (VI) Targaryen. But now that I've read ADWD, I'm not sure what to think...

I have always greatly preferred Sansa over Arya! I know many people hate her but I've liked her from the beginning and never started disliking her. She's just so human to me and a decent, believable person. I can really relate to her. Just like Sansa, I have also made choices I regret, and I have also trusted certain people I regret. Sansa is also very willing to admit to her mistakes and tries to learn, something I can also relate to as well. She's also a strong character and tried to survive as best as she could while she was in King's Landing.

Oh I love Daenerys and I fully agree with your statements about her! Such a strong character, still so young, but trying her hardest to learn and be a good queen! And indeed, lot of self sacrifice! She faces a lot of difficult situations, the harpy, the Yunkai'i, her dragons growing wild... I doubt anyone could've made better choices for those situations, and she's still not arrogant, she reviews everything carefully even after she's made a choice.

I'm very interested to hear about your favorite and least favorite characters!

Actually surfing in Europe is easy and quite common! :) I have personally surfed a lot in France; in the atlantic ocean. Very good waves there. It is also possible to surf in Portugal and a small part of Spain. It is also quite well possible to surf in my home country the Netherlands at the west coast! Surf camps at the Dutch west coast attract a lot of German tourists. I've heard it's also possible to surf at the north coast of the Netherlands. I suppose it's also possible to surf in the UK and the west coast of Norway!

Mostly digital gaming but I am also very fond of board and table games! =) Haha coincidentally I ordered 2 new tablegames today....

Ohhh nice! I love baking and it's great to see other people's creations!!! I'll go have a look!

Oh btw, perhaps we should take it to PM from here :P otherwise we'll be spamming the thread haha

Edited by Liaraeyne

Thank you for the warm welcome you guys! :D

Honeyed chicken: thank you for taking such an interest in my post! :D My name is something I came up with by myself. It's not based on anything :) I'm a fantasy fan, I like elves and fairies and whatnot, and I wanted an Elvish name to go by on the internet :P After a while of pondering and writing things down I came up with this ^^ inspiration isn't something that just comes to you, its comes from work ^^

The TTTNE thread sounds fun, is it a thread where you can post anything fun, or post about your life? :)

Yesss Littlefinger is fascinating!!! I hope GRRM won't kill him for a longgg time. I also read everything about Littlefinger carefully. He will probably be even more important later on than he is now. He's so smart and plans everything eerily well. He seems to know very well whom he can trust and whom he can't trust. For example, he trusted the queen of thorns in cooporating with him in killing Joffrey. She could've betrayed him, he would've been executed and she could possibly have received a huge financial reward, but still he knew he could trust her. On the other hand, he had Dontos killed immediately after he delivered Sansa beceause he knew he couldn't trust him. His intelligence and cunning never cease to amaze me!

Hmm, well, I just really don't like Arya... I've disliked her from the beginning. She was very uninteresting to me, a cliche'd, unconvincing tomboy. She also doesn't have much of a personality to speak of besides a touch of psychopathy... but she's not an interesting psychopath such as Aerys, Joffrey or Walder Frey. I also personally think her death prayer storyline is kind of lame. But what I perhaps dislike most is her storyline. She's just not getting ANYWHERE. It's the same everytime, she's almost here or there, is almost going to meet her family and then... nope. Happened so many times it really started to annoy me. It also annoys me that she constantly bites her lip. ''She chewed her lip'' Yeah, NOW we know! Her chapters are a lot of wandering around and I read them with very little attention, so sometimes I miss stuff... I did carefully read the part about her meeting Edric Dayne, and for a while I was utterly convinced that HE was Aegon (VI) Targaryen. But now that I've read ADWD, I'm not sure what to think...

I have always greatly preferred Sansa over Arya! I know many people hate her but I've liked her from the beginning and never started disliking her. She's just so human to me and a decent, believable person. I can really relate to her. Just like Sansa, I have also made choices I regret, and I have also trusted certain people I regret. Sansa is also very willing to admit to her mistakes and tries to learn, something I can also relate to as well. She's also a strong character and tried to survive as best as she could while she was in King's Landing.

Oh I love Daenerys and I fully agree with your statements about her! Such a strong character, still so young, but trying her hardest to learn and be a good queen! And indeed, lot of self sacrifice! She faces a lot of difficult situations, the harpy, the Yunkai'i, her dragons growing wild... I doubt anyone could've made better choices for those situations, and she's still not arrogant, she reviews everything carefully even after she's made a choice.

I'm very interested to hear about your favorite and least favorite characters!

Actually surfing in Europe is easy and quite common! :) I have personally surfed a lot in France; in the atlantic ocean. Very good waves there. It is also possible to surf in Portugal and a small part of Spain. It is also quite well possible to surf in my home country the Netherlands at the west coast! Surf camps at the Dutch west coast attract a lot of German tourists. I've heard it's also possible to surf at the north coast of the Netherlands. I suppose it's also possible to surf in the UK and the west coast of Norway!

Mostly digital gaming but I am also very fond of board and table games! =) Haha coincidentally I ordered 2 new tablegames today....

Ohhh nice! I love baking and it's great to see other people's creations!!! I'll go have a look!

Oh btw, perhaps we should take it to PM from here :P otherwise we'll be spamming the thread haha

I'd also like to welcome you to TTTNE. =o) Read a bit - also in the old threads. That might help.

Hello fellow Throners!

Have posted several times on the forums and just discovered this thread, like a noob. :p A year ago, I started out as a show watcher and after reading AGOT on a flight to Japan for 14hrs I was hooked! By the time I got to my final destination, I've downloaded the entire book series and couldn't wait to finish the book. Now that I've read the books and the show is on hiatus, I'm clamoring for more! I love all the characters, how they're not molded to a common dichotomy, they are turbulent and raw and humane (well maybe except Joffrey). I've read some of the interesting theories and want to thank you all for continually quenching my curiosity until TWOW is here! This is a great community and hope to gain some friends here in the future!

A bit about me:

Spirit Animal: Cat lover forever!

Go-to road trip snack: Ketchup chip

Favorite movie: Toss-up between Gattaca & Love Actually

Celebrity crush: Gary Oldman, Clive Owen & Keanu Reeves (I can't choose)

Guilty pleasure: Collingwood Rye & Juniors Cheesecake

Non-forum hobby: Arts & Crafts

Also just recently moved back to NY from TO.

:cheers: Welcome!

Always nice to see a fellow cat lover on Westeros.

Are you in upstate NY or NYC? I'm in VT.

Thanks for the warm welcome Honeyed Chicken & King Tyrion! Vermont huh? Land of Ben & Jerry's, cheese & maple syrup, must be a great place to live. I'm currently in NYC but I might move to Bayonne, land of GRRM's childhood if these supposed rent controled apartments go up.

Hullo! I've been approved! Thanks Mr Moderator :)

I am glad to be a part of your community. The population is what brought me to sign up. The idea is fantastic and I used it as news and reading material, but the personalities are animated and involved, I think that is a priceless quality.

Welcome again AzorImHigh! :cheers:

Can't have too many welcomes, can you? Feel free to ask me questions. If I can't help I'll try to find someone who can.

Aren't we all? ;) Welcome to the forum @Liaraeyne!

,,, continually quenching my curiosity until TWOW is here!

Rrrrrrright! Welcome @Pendergraft!

... I think that is a priceless quality.

Except for the time you'll be spending, it is also free :) Welcome, @AzorImHigh!

Hi everyone. I recently became engulfed in the awesomeness that is Game of Thrones. Long time fan of the Tv series, since it came out, but new reader to the books. I am almost done with the first book and I can't express how awesome it is.

My name is Brian and I go by "eureka" but I might change that here, considering I want a name that resembles the books.. Something like Ser Brian Coldwinter or something awesome like that.

Just wanted to introduce myself and how I came about this amazing series. See you all out there in the forums!

Greetings everyone,

As a newcomer to the forum, I wanted to stop by for a brief introduction. I became involved with this series by way of the television show, which was highly recommended from a sibling. A few episodes were all it took for me to become hooked. From that moment on, my interest grew and I began visiting the Wiki, in order to learn more about the characters and events that helped shape, “A Song of Ice and Fire.” The following step led to reading the books, which I’m extremely grateful for that experience. At the moment, I’m currently reading, “A Game of Thrones.”

When I’m not immersed in practically anything from the world of Westeros and beyond, I can usually be found in front of the sewing machine, reading (literature of various forms and comic books), enjoying movies (fantasy, science fiction and horror are favorites), playing video games and sports.

Guess I had better wrap this up right here. But I look forward to exploring more of the forum and participating in many discussions. Thanks for your time and I hope to see you around the message board.