Introductions

Ran

Hi all! Brand new here, well, new to forums in general. GoT was the first fantasy series I read so many years ago, and it got me excited about the genre, but I quickly discovered how difficult it is to find a truly good fantasy series. It doesn't work so well to start with the best and then try to sift through everything else, but I never stop my quest and every now and then stumble upon a decent one. Plenty of time for searching in between GRRM novel releases anyways. Also, I have 2 giant fluffy cats whom I like to call my direcats. My oh-so-ferocious and loyal companions to the bitter end!

welcome Kieria! :cheers:

You're not the only one with direcats, though our two are old enough to be less dire than they were. :P

Have you tried The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny?

Martin and Zelazny were friends and neighbors in Santa Fe. Zelazny helped Martin out at the start of his career (he passed away about 15 years ago). His style is 180 degrees opposite to Martin's - it's very light by comparison to all the interwoven plot lines of ASOIAF. None-the-less both ASOIAF and Zelazny's ten book Amber Chronicles are in my top 5 fantasy books. I have all ten books in a single volume. It's slightly longer than one of Martin's 5 ASOIAF books.

Have fun!

Thank you both for the warm welcome! Much appreciated :)

Welcome, Kieria, to the boards! :cheers:

Who's your favorite character?

I swear I'd say this even if your name was King Jaime, Tyrion has to be my favorite! ;)

welcome Kieria! :cheers:

You're not the only one with direcats, though our two are old enough to be less dire than they were. :P

Have you tried The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny?

Martin and Zelazny were friends and neighbors in Santa Fe. Zelazny helped Martin out at the start of his career (he passed away about 15 years ago). His style is 180 degrees opposite to Martin's - it's very light by comparison to all the interwoven plot lines of ASOIAF. None-the-less both ASOIAF and Zelazny's ten book Amber Chronicles are in my top 5 fantasy books. I have all ten books in a single volume. It's slightly longer than one of Martin's 5 ASOIAF books.

Have fun!

Haha mine are definitely getting up there now too (they are 9 now) but they are still young at heart so that's all that matters :)

I actually have not read that series, I just found it on amazon (the one with all the books in 1) and am assuming it never came up for me since it doesn't appear to be on kindle and that's usually where I search. But I do like reading "real" books, so I think I will add that for a nice change. I recently finished the first two Kingkiller chronicles which I really enjoyed but were definitely not as complex as ASOIAF. Just started a new book that just released on kindle but haven't gotten far enough into it yet to review. Amber Chronicles is next on my list now, thanks! I'm always excited to learn of fantasy series I hadn't heard of before :)

Edited by Kieria

I swear I'd say this even if your name was King Jaime, Tyrion has to be my favorite! ;)

Haha mine are definitely getting up there now too (they are 9 now) but they are still young at heart so that's all that matters :)

I actually have not read that series, I just found it on amazon (the one with all the books in 1) and am assuming it never came up for me since it doesn't appear to be on kindle and that's usually where I search. But I do like reading "real" books, so I think I will add that for a nice change. I recently finished the first two Kingkiller chronicles which I really enjoyed but were definitely not as complex as ASOIAF. Just started a new book that just released on kindle but haven't gotten far enough into it yet to review. Amber Chronicles is next on my list now, thanks! I'm always excited to learn of fantasy series I hadn't heard of before :)

Let me know how you like it. As I say, it's as different from ASOIAF as it is possible to get and still be in the same genre. They are similar in that they are both page turners you can't put down (imo :) ).

Edited by honeyed chicken

KTI: You're welcome indeed. =o)

Tyrion is awesome. Nevertheless, I'm no apologist - I'm rather a Lannister fanboy in general. But Tyrion's my favorite Lannister.

Hello everyone! I am not really new on this forum, since I've "spied" you for almost a year. Now I finally decided to join you and start share my thoughts, and not only read. I also join the Italian forum of ASOIAF forum, this saga is my obsession :drool:

Forgive me for my poor English, but, as I said, it's not my first language.

See you around!

Hello everyone! I am not really new on this forum, since I've "spied" you for almost a year. Now I finally decided to join you and start share my thoughts, and not only read. I also join the Italian forum of ASOIAF forum, this saga is my obsession :drool:

See you around!

Benvenuto! :cheers:

See you around!

:cheers: Welcome! You're now the second Italian that I know on Westeros. :)

See you around!

Welcome! :cheers: don't worry for your english, I'm italian as well and all the kind people here aren't tired yet of helping me out with understanding :)

Have a great time here, as I do :)

See you around!

Welcome to the fourm WFK! I hope you are enjoying yourself :D

Your English is fine, so dont worry :p

who are you favorite characters?

Greetings fellow creatures!

After lurking around and having my mind blown by some interesting theories and details I've always missed while reading the books, I've finally gotten around to making an account so that I can pester you guys with my questions and weird ideas. ;-)

Asoiaf has been an obsession of mine ever since I've first discovered the show two or three years ago. Since then I've watched it countless times and am currently reading the books for the second time.

Sooo... what else? I don't know... I'm from Germany and I like beer.

After lurking around and having my mind blown by some interesting theories and details I've always missed while reading the books, I've finally gotten around to making an account so that I can pester you guys with my questions and weird ideas. ;-)

Asoiaf has been an obsession of mine ever since I've first discovered the show two or three years ago. Since then I've watched it countless times and am currently reading the books for the second time.

Welcome to the forums, faceless dude! :cheers: Looking forward your crazy ideas.Hope you have fun here.

Welcome to the forum Faceless Dude (like the name btw :thumbsup: )

I'm glad you have decided to join us :D

Who are some of your favorite characters? What's your favorite houses?

I'm a Stark/Targaryen fan (though I'm not a huge fan of r+l=j really tired of that theory tbh) anyway I hope you enjoy your time here, with us! :D

Hi & thanks for the welcome.

My favourite charakters are Arya, Show-Daenerys, Book-Tyrion and Stannis (the second most rightful monarch of the 7K) and I'm 100% a Targaryan loyalist. Oh, and to make people hate me: I can't stand Jon Snow. I'll give him credit for his leadership abilities, but other than that he really annoys me with his mopy bastard attitude.

The r+l=j theory though is quite valid in my point of view. It would explain a lot of Ned Starks behavior - without disclosing the whole Targaryan thing to him, telling him who his mother is would lead to some... unpleasen... implications.

welcome faceless dude :cheers:

I'm with you on Arya and Tyrion. You say Stannis is the second most rightful king, who's your Number one? Just curious, fighting over theories and favourite characters doesn't start in the welcome thread ;) (but it might start in the very next thread you're participating :lol: )