Introductions

Ran

Hi peeps, my name is Caroline, and I'm new. I've been lurking around for a while, but I finally decided to join and introduce myself.

I love the show, and because of that I started with the books. I've just started reading A Feast for Crows... Trying to avoid spoilers, but it's so hard! Love the books, probably more than the show.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Take care!

Welcome @Arya Lumpyface ! :)

Hello everyone! I joined this forum a couple years back when I discovered the series, but I am just now using my account! My name is Haleigh and I'm 21. I live in Michigan and I'm in college, studying geology. I heard about the HBO series first, then picked up the books. I'm currently halfway through the 5th one, I just wish I had more time to read. I hate writing about me, but just thought I'd introduce myself :)

Welcome to Westeros!! :cheers:

My niece graduated from Kalamazoo. But perhaps you're at one of the big Us - Sparty or Wolverine?

haha yeah I figured I'd find other SCA people here. Especially since the books seem to take place during a more medieval era. And I'm usually just shy at first but after that it's mostly just me being being quiet and introverted lol. I'm quite different when I'm at an SCA event and portraying my celtic character Gwen.

It was nice to see you on TTTNE. One of our stalwarts there is the SCA member I spoke of. She met her husband there and then got married in costume.

Hi, I'm new. I've been lurking the forum for quite some time but I couldn't make my mind on what username I would choose.

Well, here I am.

I'm 39, I'm from Florence, I first started reading the books more or less when the tv series was announced. By the time the first TV series started I was about to finish reading AGOT for the first time.

Since then, I've read three times the first four novels and two times ADwD.

As everyone else, I can't wait for the next one.

Florence?! What a beautiful city! Visited once and didn't want to leave.

I'm a crazy rereader: AGOT maybe x 7; ACOK 5; ASOS 5; AFFC 4; ADWD 4.

Hi all, I've been lurking the general book forum for awhile but I only just started reading general chatter. I really enjoy the reading the debates in the politics threads so I thought I'd post. I live in the frozen shithole that is Wisconsin. ^_^

I've been exchanging notes with LB, Lady Blizzardborn, who is a Wisconsonite like you. Your winter and ours here in Vermont seem pretty similar.

Hi peeps, my name is Caroline, and I'm new. I've been lurking around for a while, but I finally decided to join and introduce myself.

I love the show, and because of that I started with the books. I've just started reading A Feast for Crows... Trying to avoid spoilers, but it's so hard! Love the books, probably more than the show.

I'm lucky, I came here after I was done reading. But I don't mind spoilers. I actually looked up the series on wikipedia to find out what was coming. Ironically, for me it deepens the mystery. Knowing what will happen is not the same as knowing how it will happen and what the roller coaster of emotions will be doing at the moment the event occurs. And Martin is an absolute master at wringing every possible ounce of surprise out of each event.

So enjoy the rest of the series (so far).

Edited by honeyed chicken

Welcome!

Hi Everyone! I've been perusing these forums for a while, and finally decided to join! I have been reading A Song of Ice and Fire on and off for the past couple of years. I'm currently on A Feast for Crows. I've also been watching Game of Thrones since it debuted in 2011. I also really love the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I've been going through bit a rough time lately. My mom passed away 3 weeks ago :( Reading, along with prayer, has really helped with the grieving process. Though it is going to take a very long time.

Welcome @QueenInTheNorth221, be careful not to spoil your reading experience with reading the forum!

What-to-say, what-to-say? Mothers should never die, really. Sorry to hear that.

Read Neil Gaiman for darkness and some laughs, and read Terry Pratchett for philosophy and lots of laughs.

Or finish A Feast and A Dance with Dragons first, if you prefer, to see where that is heading.

Hi Everyone! I've been perusing these forums for a while, and finally decided to join! I have been reading A Song of Ice and Fire on and off for the past couple of years. I'm currently on A Feast for Crows. I've also been watching Game of Thrones since it debuted in 2011. I also really love the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I've been going through bit a rough time lately. My mom passed away 3 weeks ago :( Reading, along with prayer, has really helped with the grieving process. Though it is going to take a very long time.

Ewww. I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers and condolences are on their way to you.

Welcome to the boards!

Edited by King Tyrion I

Oh dear, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that reading and prayers is giving your mind some rest. :grouphug:

In the literature forum, in Misc, you could find ideas for more books to read if you wish, if you haven't seen that subforum already. Just be aware of the spoiler threads of certain books or series.

Welcome to the forums QITN!

I'm so sorry; I lost my mom 7 years back when I was 17 so I know sorry does nothing and is in some ways the worst thing to hear.

You never really lose it all and you're not supposed to I don't think; you're supposed to miss those you love. I say love present tense because that's the thing you don't lose

If you ever need to talk feel free to drop a line :)

I read CS Lewis' whole Narnia series as well as the screwtape letters, the latter of which was my favorite of his works by far though you can't really compare Narnia to anything else in a lot of ways. Read Fellowship of the ring a few months ago and looooooved it, I had tried reading it while younger as well as the two towers but never got very far in fellowship until recently, even though Hobbit was devoured greedily at the same young age ;D

Welcome to Westeros, we are glad to have you and hope you continue to feel better :cheers:

Hi there, my name is Bill O'Wisp, people in real life call me Lukas. I've been passively reading all the great and more-or-less crackpot theories in the post-ADwD section for some time now and wanted to contribute to them if I felt like it.

I am doing media studies in a beautiful town in Germany and I am complety obsessed with Oce and Fire (but that's probably why we're all here). I also most likely spent more time with the books than with my actual subject during my first year of studying. And still I couldn't have figured out half of the stuff that has been presented here so far.

Hi there, my name is Bill O'Wisp, people in real life call me Lukas. I've been passively reading all the great and more-or-less crackpot theories in the post-ADwD section for some time now and wanted to contribute to them if I felt like it.

I am doing media studies in a beautiful town in Germany and I am complety obsessed with Oce and Fire (but that's probably why we're all here). I also most likely spent more time with the books than with my actual subject during my first year of studying. And still I couldn't have figured out half of the stuff that has been presented here so far.

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

This forum has been a godsend for me after realizing GRRM is going to torture my soul forever w the release of WoW... I am a husband, father, Air Force veteran (4 yrs), sports enthusiast, avid reader and believe R+L=J. I fully support the Others as the good guys, at least not purely evil. And above all else DESPISE Daenerys Targaryen a thousand times over!

Happy to be here!

Hello everyone!

I'm a historian from Germany, I work at university and as a freelance journalist, and I am in my late 30s now. As a teenager, I was a major role-playing game nerd who played Dungeons & Dragons and all kinds of other games in all kinds of settings. Except for Tolkien's books and some of the Dragonlance novels by Hickman and Weis, I have not read a lot of fantasy, though. As I grew older, I became more interested in science fiction than in fantasy, and besides, I already do so much reading of non-fiction books for my academic work that I usually prefer watching a movie to reading a book when it comes to fiction. So I did not read the A Song of Ice and Fire books when they first came out, even though I was still keeping an eye on the fantasy genre and knew that there was a lot of talk about them.

About a year ago, I decided to watch the A Game of Thrones TV series. Again, it was something I had heard about and was curious about, but I had not had the time to check it out yet. I became hooked immediately and quickly watched all four seasons (the last episodes of Season 4 were just airing as I was catching up). After that, I decided to read the books - the first fantasy books I have read since my teenage years. I loved the books as well and went through them at the pace of one per month, sometimes devoting an entire weekend to reading. I finished A Dance with Dragons a couple of weeks ago.

While I was reading, I made a point of not visiting any sites like this because I wanted to stay away from all possible spoilers. Unfortunately, someone's online comment on the TV series had already spoiled the R+L=J theory for me before I started reading, but it turned out not to be a huge spoiler - I think it becomes fairly obvious fairly quickly while you read Eddard's chapters from the first book. Aside from that, though, I have managed to stay away from all spoilers while I was still reading.

Now that I have caught up, and while I am eagerly waiting for The Winds of Winter like everyone else, I decided to register on the forums here and say hello!

This forum has been a godsend for me after realizing GRRM is going to torture my soul forever w the release of WoW... I am a husband, father, Air Force veteran (4 yrs), sports enthusiast, avid reader and believe R+L=J. I fully support the Others as the good guys, at least not purely evil. And above all else DESPISE Daenerys Targaryen a thousand times over!

Happy to be here!

Welcome! :cheers:

Hello everyone!

I'm a historian from Germany, I work at university and as a freelance journalist, and I am in my late 30s now. As a teenager, I was a major role-playing game nerd who played Dungeons & Dragons and all kinds of other games in all kinds of settings. Except for Tolkien's books and some of the Dragonlance novels by Hickman and Weis, I have not read a lot of fantasy, though. As I grew older, I became more interested in science fiction than in fantasy, and besides, I already do so much reading of non-fiction books for my academic work that I usually prefer watching a movie to reading a book when it comes to fiction. So I did not read the A Song of Ice and Fire books when they first came out, even though I was still keeping an eye on the fantasy genre and knew that there was a lot of talk about them.

About a year ago, I decided to watch the A Game of Thrones TV series. Again, it was something I had heard about and was curious about, but I had not had the time to check it out yet. I became hooked immediately and quickly watched all four seasons (the last episodes of Season 4 were just airing as I was catching up). After that, I decided to read the books - the first fantasy books I have read since my teenage years. I loved the books as well and went through them at the pace of one per month, sometimes devoting an entire weekend to reading. I finished A Dance with Dragons a couple of weeks ago.

While I was reading, I made a point of not visiting any sites like this because I wanted to stay away from all possible spoilers. Unfortunately, someone's online comment on the TV series had already spoiled the R+L=J theory for me before I started reading, but it turned out not to be a huge spoiler - I think it becomes fairly obvious fairly quickly while you read Eddard's chapters from the first book. Aside from that, though, I have managed to stay away from all spoilers while I was still reading.

Now that I have caught up, and while I am eagerly waiting for The Winds of Winter like everyone else, I decided to register on the forums here and say hello!

Willkommen! :cheers:

After a bit of a lull, it is nice to see so many new faces coming to westeros/

Welcome to Westeros! :cheers:

I lost my mother 35 years ago and I still think about her every day. I try to take the things I learned from her and pass them on to my daughter.

I'm so sorry; I lost my mom 7 years back when I was 17 so I know sorry does nothing and is in some ways the worst thing to hear.

You never really lose it all and you're not supposed to I don't think; you're supposed to miss those you love. I say love present tense because that's the thing you don't lose

If you ever need to talk feel free to drop a line :)

I read CS Lewis' whole Narnia series as well as the screwtape letters, the latter of which was my favorite of his works by far though you can't really compare Narnia to anything else in a lot of ways. Read Fellowship of the ring a few months ago and looooooved it, I had tried reading it while younger as well as the two towers but never got very far in fellowship until recently, even though Hobbit was devoured greedily at the same young age ;D

Welcome to Westeros, we are glad to have you and hope you continue to feel better :cheers:

Nicely said, Leonardo.

I loved the Screwtape letters too. :)

It is a series worth obsessing over, in my opinion.

Happy to be here!

There's another Air Force poster running around here. Can't call him a veteran yet because he's still serving.

Hello everyone!

Many of us got hooked on the TV show first - I saw two episodes then started the books. The show has not seemed very good to me ever since. I can barely watch it now, but I keep rereading the series.