Introductions

Ran

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Valar Morghulis,

My name is Julie Escurignan. I am a huge fan of the TV Series Game of Thrones and the whole Game of Thrones universe. I am also a PhD Student in Film and Television Studies at the University of Roehampton, London, and I got lucky enough to do my thesis on Game of Thrones.

I am passionate about TV series (already studied The Tudors and Grimm) and now I am thrilled to do my PhD on one of the best TV shows ever. More specifically, I research the fandom of Game of Thrones (this includes you, who are on Westeros.org!). I am trying to understand what is the experience of the fans of Game of Thrones, i.e. how you and I, as fans, live and engage with the GoT universe, from the TV series to the online platforms, GoT creations and fans’ meetings. Such research has only been done so far with fans of films (Star Wars, Lord of the Ring) but I’d like to show that fans of TV series can have a similar or even better fan experience.

I myself live my fandom in as many ways as I can (playing GoT video games, board games, planning on visiting the film sets!) and I hope to do more in the future with other Game of Thrones fans (I’d love to go to Comic-Con and start cosplaying).

I present my research at conferences, to students, friends and other fans because I want to share it and make it compelling. This is also why I have a Facebook page about my journey as a fan and student of Game of Thrones. Please feel free to check it out and post questions, comments or GoT news: https://www.facebook.com/gameofthronesfanacademic/

Please feel free to ask me any question you may have (you can also check me out online, on Linkedin, Twitter and on the University of Roehampton’s PhD students page).

As to the use of questionnaires, analysis and interviews, I’d like to point out that all the data I collect and analyze is anonymous.  As a young researcher, I am bound to strict ethical rules and your privacy will be preserved by all means!

I am extremely glad to be a member of Westeros and I hope I will be able to spend a good time with other GoT fans and live my passion within the community!

Thank you very much for your attention and I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Edited by Fanacademic

1 minute ago, JonReborned said:

Hello,

I've just registered from Spain. 

English is not my first language but I'll do my best. 

Welcome!  English is my only language and I still get it wrong, so no worries.  Do you get Game of Thrones at the same time we do?  A couple weeks?

15 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Welcome!  English is my only language and I still get it wrong, so no worries.  Do you get Game of Thrones at the same time we do?  A couple weeks?

I think we are going to get it at the same time in english with subtitles (at least first episode) and the next week dubbed to spanish.

Anyway it will be 3 AM in Spain so I am going to record it a watch next day.

Greetings and Salutations! :D

I instantly fell in love with Game of Thrones when the show first started airing back in 2011 (I have to admit, I had not heard of the ASoIaF universe before then, despite being a Fantasy geek in general) and have been eagerly awaiting each season every year since then. House Stark, and Arya in particular, have been my favorite things about the show since the very first episode. Other favorite characters are Tyrion, Sandor, Jaime, Pod, Bronn, Davos, Jaqen, Jon, Ygritte, Sam and Tywin. Something I absolutely love about GoT is how it can make you like or even love characters you once hated. Perfect examples for me would be Jaime and Tywin - characters I did not like one bit in Season 1, but they both won me over in Season 2. I even went from really disliking Sansa in Season 1 to caring about her from Season 2 and onwards.

I'm not a big fan of desert/exotic/tropic locations, so I mainly find the Westeros storylines the most interesting to watch and follow. The only Essos locations I've enjoyed so far have been Braavos, Volantis and Valyria (and I guess to some extent the Dothraki Sea). Give me a northern landscape and environment any day! :P

I've read the first book, and want to read them all obviously, but I've decided to wait until the show is over and done with to continue with the rest. Seeing as they've departed from the books more and more with each season, I like being oblivious to the changes and just enjoy the show for what it is, rather than sit there and be all angry or disappointed because this or that was scrapped, or worse: replaced/changed (something I experienced way too much when it came to a show like True Blood). This way, I sort of get the best of both worlds. I get to enjoy the show fully until the end, and afterwards enjoy the story as it should have been while still being able to appreciate the show.

Wow, that turned into a small essay. :lol: Good to be here! :D

I've had an account here for a couple of years now but it's been a long time since I logged in here. I finally decided to become active again in celebration of the new season, so here I am, making a comeback!

About myself: I think I was introduced to the series in 2011, first the show and later the books. I've been addicted ever since. I'm also a northener, born and bred. :)

Welcome back @Aderyn and welcome @MarkHollywood to the forum.

Don't worry, after having read and learned and re-examined everything a dozen times, I still manage to sound dumb often enough. But look at the bright side! You'll certainly get extra credits here when we understand you tried hard :). No, joke aside, don't worry and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome @Barış Solmaz to the forum! Never tried IMDb for discussions myself.

eta: note this community and board is split in tv-show and books forums.
So unless you care for both: carefully stay in yours, if you do not want to be spoiled by the other.

Edited by Jon Weirgaryen

Hi, I'm Eloisa, 42, from California. I haven't read the books yet, but I love, love, love the TV show. GO KHALEESI! I play a MMPORG and on the fan forum it seems I was only one of two who loves GoT. I got lonely. Now, I found the place for me. :)

Hello,

I'm Domien, 27 from Belgium --> Flanders ---> Forum name ;)

First introduction with GOT was the series for me, got S01 for a Christmas present the year that S02 aired and was hooked after EP 1. Saw the series untill last episode from S06 obv.

Started with the books last year in May and finished the 1st one in the summer, then got to the 2nd but didnt find the time untill a couple of weeks ago. Started again with book 2 after S06 premier.

<3 GOT

Good tidings,

I joined up to discuss mostly the novels but the TV show as well. Finished the books a few years ago and I'm in the midst of a re-read currently. I chose this display name cause The Nightfort is one of my favorite locales in the series. Looking forward to good discussions! 

Edited by The Nightfort Ghost

Hello, World! 

I've been reading this forum for a quite long time, but just decided to join it now. I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and started to read the books about 2011. I'm just here for the books, in fact, because i did not like the series really much.
Besides ASOIAF, I'm into RPG, tabletop games, series ( As any Orphan Black fan could tell by my forum name) and fantasy books in general.
I guess that's it, right? XD

Hi everyone, glad I found this forum!

I resisted watching Game of Thrones during the first several seasons, thinking I wouldn't like it (never liked Tolkien). I gave it a try and ended up loving it. I just bought the books the other day. Other than GoT, I enjoy history, law, writing, simple living, memes, and the beauty of life.

Edited by Cullen of House Swan