Introductions

Ran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! I go by Whirlwynd or Whirly for short. I'm a fan of the books and am slowly working my way through the show now. Top three favorite characters: Mance Rayder, Brienne of Tarth, Tyrion Lannister

I'm an animator! I mostly do original work but I've been working on some ASOIAF things too =)

I haven't signed up for a forum this active in a while -- hope I can keep up

Not new by any stretch (joined, I believe, back in '08 or somesuch), but I've been gone for what feels like millenia. I see Ran still pilots the ship, lol, and that's got my feels all warm and fuzzy. Alas, I see we've also lost some folks, and that hurts my heart.

More than anything, I'm glad to see the place still going!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers!

OK, I'm not completely new here. I already signed in last year, but I was super busy with my master thesis and my motivation to contribute to deeper conversations about ASOAIF was rather low. Now I'm done, so I'd like to give it another go! ;)

I'm from Germany and a fan of the books since 2009. I read the first books in German, but since I didn't want to wait for the translation of ADWD, and since the translation was completely changed ("crippled") in the meantime, I'm more used to the English version now. I guess that's the reason why there's no German sister Wiki to AWOIAF - fans of the old and the new translation simply cannot find a compromise. I also used to watched the TV series, but only until S6E02, and stopped after that because I was too frustrated about what they did with many interesting characters. Fortunately, I'm quite spoiler-resistant, so I know about the latest revalations nevertheless.

Apart from Martin, my favourite fantasy authors are R. Scott Bakker, Joe Abercrombie and some German writers you probably don't know, but heavily influenced my preferences and my own style nevertheless (I'm also writing Fantasy stories, but are even less likely to finish one day than GRRM).

Let's see whether I'll manage to keep up with the forum this time! B)

On 4.6.2017 at 10:20 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

Crap. Has no one really greeted any new board members this year? We've really dropped the ball.

Let's see whether my hello will be recognized! ;)

Hi, I'm Cecilia (the blacktea thing is obviously my drug of choice), I am one of those poor souls that came across A Game of Thrones back in 1997, I lived in Strasbourg but was in NY because of my father's work, I was 17 and my mother decided to gift me some books, since I had a bad case of jet-lag insomnia and I had already read all the (many) books that I brought with me...And I thought "oh, this book seems nice, and it is the first of a saga, so if it is actually good, there will be more...". The idiocy of youth. 

I remeber ordering the second book in a Rome library (i wanted to read it in English, even if it is not obviously my first language), and it took about 40 days to arrive, and we had to move to France again, and I was frantic that I would not be able to collect the book and read it before moving. 

Now I am 38, and I am cool with the waiting, as long as the next book will be able to deliver the same emotions and epic of the others.

I joined back in 2011, when I was doing a re-reading before ADWD, but until now I never had time to participate in discussions. Recently I switched to private practice, and I finally have time to pursuit other things aside from work :P.

Last thing: while I may have read ASOIAF at least 5 times, I am not particularly a fan of the show. I watch it, mainly because my husband watches it, but I do not like it. Not a bit. À chacun son goût. (To each his own)

Hey, I'm Lizzie, I'm British and a freelance illustrator. It's nice to finally be here!

One of my best friends recommended ASOIAF to me 5 years ago - she lost interest in the books but I've been sucked into the yawning abyss and haven't looked back since.

During my first time reading I skipped through a lot of important information and I'm trying to rectify that by listening to the audiobooks. And I listened through every excruciating second of Roy Dotrice's sex scenes with only mild regret, because I still got to experience the series all over again!

I have some gripes with the writing, but all of that is made up by GRRM's intensely atmospheric descriptions, excellent character writing and incredible world building. I can't express how happy I am to be part of a fandom which produces such top notch theories and analysis, and I'm excited to see what's in store for us in The Winds of Winter!

On 8/31/2017 at 8:12 AM, Esviir said:

I have some gripes with the writing, but all of that is made up by GRRM's intensely atmospheric descriptions, excellent character writing and incredible world building. I can't express how happy I am to be part of a fandom which produces such top notch theories and analysis, and I'm excited to see what's in store for us in The Winds of Winter!

Welcome aboard!

And let's face it, nobody offers negative feedback more regularly than die-hard fans! :D

On 8/31/2017 at 7:31 AM, blacktea79 said:

Last thing: while I may have read ASOIAF at least 5 times, I am not particularly a fan of the show. I watch it, mainly because my husband watches it, but I do not like it. Not a bit. À chacun son goût. (To each his own)

Ditto! :D

I once loved it, but it has really gone stale and, to be honest, stupid.

Also welcome!

Well i'ts finally nice to see a got forum . i mean they are rare these days . Anyway Hello everyone my name is Gaia , I'm from italy .  i'm more of a tv series fan but slowly im reading most of the books. i hope to have fun here.sorry im not good at introductions can you tell ?hahaha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a huge fan of the "Introductions" thing, but here we go. I'm Fae and my long watch for the next book in ASOIAF began many, many years ago after ADWD came out after I binge read the series prior to getting into the show. Nice to meet everyone!

Hello, I go by the name, Mother Cocanuts. Reason being is that I don' t know how to spell, "Coconuts." Some facts about me:

1. I rather laugh than argue, but don't underestimate me.

2. I am a huge anime fan.

3. Despite my going by the title "Mother Cocanuts"I don't conform to cisgender binaries.

4. I... (leave the rest to you.)

Edited by Mother Cocanuts