Introductions

Ran

15 hours ago, Illythyrra Eldin said:

Hello, I am the new girl!  Glad to finally be here.  New to the series of books, and have not watched the tv series.  Actually, I have the first 5 books, but have not yet started reading them, so I had some trouble making an account here because they asked a question about what family  animal, or something like that for the Starks.

Had to look it up online while praying that I would not see spoilers of any kind!

Anyway, that's all for me, see ya around, hopefully!

PS: for some reason my avatar looks really blurry, but did not when I uploaded it to gravatar.  Gotta say, I don't really like using gravatar, but ok I guess...

14 hours ago, Xeno of Carcosa said:

Hi, love the TV show, have read Dunk & Egg and the Targaryen novellas, which I'm enjoying rereading as part of Fire and Blood (about 3/4 of the way through!). Great to see a traditional forum like this thriving!

Welcome to you both! I've been a member since 2012 and enjoy hanging out on the games forum. https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/forum/18-forum-games/

Hope you both find a place on the site that is fun for you too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all!

I am reader since the early 2000s, with a strange order of reading, my first book was the middle part of SoS (in Italy the book was divided into three parts), so basically I couldn't even get familiar with names that got the Red Weeding :-D

I registered to the forum years ago but I only recently decided to become an active user :-)

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2019 at 8:03 AM, PrinceoftheTides said:

Hi to all!

I am reader since the early 2000s, with a strange order of reading, my first book was the middle part of SoS (in Italy the book was divided into three parts), so basically I couldn't even get familiar with names that got the Red Weeding :-D

I registered to the forum years ago but I only recently decided to become an active user :-)

Welcome to Westeros!! Does this mean you've been reading but not responding, or not even? I was a member for a year or two before I started reading and following any part of the site on a regular basis.

Have you ever visited the Games Forum? That's where I hang out. Feel free to drop in and say hi!

10 hours ago, thaliadaniels said:

Hello guys, I'm new to this lovely community. Please welcome me. :)

WELCOME! Good to have you in the fold.

As I mentioned to PotT above, I am mostly on the Games Froum. There we chat about life (on TTTNE - The Thread That Never Ends), play pictionary, word games and fantasy sports. Feel free to jump in! https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/forum/18-forum-games/

Hello ! Yet another Arya in this forum...as all the possible names in Essos and Westeros were used as screen names... ^_^

I know the serie Game of Thrones for five years and I'm reading the books for a few months, right now I'm halfway through the second part of A Storm of Swords. The books opened a new dimension for me; they are much more detailed and entertaining -although I have from time to time to check some words in a dictionnay (I'm not an English native speaker).

Thanks a lot for this forum, I only found it out yesterday and I learnt a lot of things (regarding the theories about Tansy, for instance).

On 3/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, Brandon Stark said:

Not new by any means, but back after a long time gone. Looking forward to chatting with everyone again. :)

On 3/5/2019 at 12:10 PM, Yet another Arya ! said:

Hello ! Yet another Arya in this forum...as all the possible names in Essos and Westeros were used as screen names... ^_^

I know the serie Game of Thrones for five years and I'm reading the books for a few months, right now I'm halfway through the second part of A Storm of Swords. The books opened a new dimension for me; they are much more detailed and entertaining -although I have from time to time to check some words in a dictionnay (I'm not an English native speaker).

Thanks a lot for this forum, I only found it out yesterday and I learnt a lot of things (regarding the theories about Tansy, for instance).

I envy you reading ASOS for the first time. I've read it (and the others) more times than I can remember.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:29 PM, CinescapeSean said:

Greetings all! Brand new to this forum and happy to be here!

Welcome to all! Nice to see lots of new "faces". I expect as the final season of Game of Thrones airs, we'll see another wave of new folk.

I personally am more book fan than show. How about you? I'm hoping that after the show is done, we'll get a announcement that TWOW (The Winds of Winter, 6th book in the series) is coming out before Xmas.

In the meantime, I hang out on the games forum for things like "outrageous lies about the previous poster" and "acrophobia", a word game. Here's a game forum link

Thanks Honeyed Chicken (a good recipe I guess) for your warm welcome!

Reading for the first time ASOS is a pleasure, but the second time should be even better: I'm sure the books teem with tiny details you don't catch at the first reading, and regarding the characters it's like meeting again old friends (even the evil ones!). And the third reading...well I will see that in a few years (it took me 8 months to read the three first books!).

I prefer the books (generally I prefer books to movies: for instance Harry Potter or LOTR) but I admired the quality of the TV version, especially the realism in clothes, food, places...and the music as well (with plain themes, but always efficient).

I will try your games!

21 hours ago, CinescapeSean said:

I'm more of a book fan myself. My wife and I stoped watching the series a few seasons ago but I eventually went back and got caught up. I'm also the host of a movie & TV talk podcast and am looking for experienced writers/bloggers to review new episodes!

Hmmm, not me, but I have a friend I'm going to check with to gauge her level of interest in something like this.

20 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

Thanks Honeyed Chicken (a good recipe I guess) for your warm welcome!

Reading for the first time ASOS is a pleasure, but the second time should be even better: I'm sure the books teem with tiny details you don't catch at the first reading, and regarding the characters it's like meeting again old friends (even the evil ones!). And the third reading...well I will see that in a few years (it took me 8 months to read the three first books!).

I prefer the books (generally I prefer books to movies: for instance Harry Potter or LOTR) but I admired the quality of the TV version, especially the realism in clothes, food, places...and the music as well (with plain themes, but always efficient).

I will try your games!

Great! The more games people the better! :)

Absolutely true that one finds new nuggets. What tends to happen on second reading is that a lot of details that were "interesting" but hard to gauge in importance become foreshadowing - "oh, I know where that's going to lead." There are so many bread crumb trails threading their way through the narrative and they come from such unexpected places. To some extent the show having galloped ahead of the books takes away a little bit of the suspense of some of the central mysteries. Oth, the show and book diverge enough that one is never really sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 8:55 AM, whorasgayrell said:

Hello, my name is Elizabeth. I'm from Brexitland and hating it. University ruins any and all of my reading for enjoyment because now I can't ignore analysing everything I read.

Welcome to Westeros! Over analysing is what we do around here, and I have to say, some of us are quite good at it!

If you want to get away from analysis and over thinking, you can always stop into forum games for some silliness and fun: https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/forum/18-forum-games/