Introductions

Ran

On 4/2/2019 at 1:30 PM, Proficiency said:

Howdy, everyone.

I'm a Canadian by birth, but I work as a high school teacher in America now.

I joined BoD first, then saw that there was a forum. I figured that I might was well try it, and now here we are.

Welcome! Always good to have more Canadians here be they nationals or ex pats.

Hi my name is Karneol  

Ive already written in this forum for a month but I think its time to do a proper introduction

Im from Germany (TZ suck, Im missing out the whole drama while sleeping) and in RL have a very ordinary name for a tenth grader(this name  was popular around my birth year and I could name at least four others who are around my age).

I love reading since I had went to elementary school and I love ASOIAF because its more unpredictable than a lot of other books.

I signed in to get to know ASOIAF better, to discuss on theories and to deal with my bad english spelling.

Grüße Karneol

Edited by Karneol

On 4/8/2019 at 8:42 AM, Karneol said:

Hi my name is Karneol  

Ive already written in this forum for a month but I think its time to do a proper introduction

Im from Germany (TZ suck, Im missing out the whole drama while sleeping) and in RL have a very ordinary name for a tenth grader(this name  was popular around my birth year and I could name at least four others who are around my age).

I love reading since I had went to elementary school and I love ASOIAF because its more unpredictable than a lot of other books.

I signed in to get to know ASOIAF better, to discuss on theories and to deal with my bad english spelling.

Grüße Karneol

Welcome Karneol! Your English is better than mine and I'm a "native" speaker, if one can call an American a native speaker of someone else's language, namely, English.

Yes, ASOIAF gives the reader a ton to think about and discuss. You've come to the right place for that. I would recommend you some threads to go to, but that isn't what I do here. I spend all my time on site over in forum games. You'll find some speakers of your native language there - as well as Hungarian, Slovenian and who knows what else. In addition to games, there's the long running conversation on The Thread That Never Ends, current theme: favorite cartoon characters. That's why I'm running Bugs Bunny as my av.

Hope to see you around!

On 4/8/2019 at 2:42 PM, Karneol said:

Hi my name is Karneol  

Grüße Karneol

Viele Grüße zurück aus Köln. :)

My real life first name was also very popular at the time of my birth. ;)

But I guess that I'm a few decades older than you. ;)

Hint: my first name is part of Cologne's Latin name. :D

21 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Welcome Karneol! Your English is better than mine and I'm a "native" speaker, if one can call an American a native speaker of someone else's language, namely, English.

My main problem isn't speaking (A in oral exam, I'm proud AF) it's writing because my German spelling is not that good in English it's worse (Ex+ words cause me lot of problems).

21 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Hope to see you around!

I hope that too!

3 hours ago, Karneol said:

My main problem isn't speaking (A in oral exam, I'm proud AF) it's writing because my German spelling is not that good in English it's worse (Ex+ words cause me lot of problems).

I hope that too!

English spelling is crazy. Everyone has trouble with it. German is easier (I took two years of German in college - many, many years ago and remember little).

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps I should introduce myself.

I'm your huckleberry.

Whomever has implied they're in charge here*: I have them wrapped up in perpetuity.

Welcome to the desert of the real.

*Xray? Coco? They've never, ever won an argument against me and they're not about to start now. If you don't know, now you know. I run shit here. They just mod here.

Edited by MeanMrMustard

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm not here for funny business. I'm just someone who understood a good thing to do and it was read books, write books and magazines, and use my talent for music just for myself because it meant that I'm not really selfish. It meant I was going to be unique in that I could use the internet to find a husband and I would love to date each and every one of you without it being creepy because I fell in love with two men at once one time, real love, and thought I was seducing them and never understood what I said. Then guess what happened now I'm in love with my former psychiatrists, a nextdoor neighbor whose kid screams at me, "Mom!", an older, married nextdoor neighbor, Matthew Bellamy, Elon Musk, and a weatherman on a local channel. 

Howdy y'all,

I am only sorta new here. I've been active on this board until 2014 when I thought it time for a little break. I love the books as much as I strongly dislike the show. Now that this pain in the arse is finally done with I hope we can focus on the books again. I've been informed about all the show stuff...Danny going postal, Starbucks opening up their first Westerosi establishment, R+L=J with no point at all.... I bet some of y'all will need some time to let it all go... 

Anyways.... Looking forward to meeting just the nice people here. 

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I dunno how much I will be posting as I never seem to get myself being active on any forum but I shall try my best, I have read the books and recently finished Fire and Blood, I loved it and got heavily back into fantasy so I'm looking for a lot of book recommendations. I love to draw, sculpt, listen to epic music and at 30 years of age I'm still trying to get as far away from reality as possible by making my own (though I don't entirely despise reality...some of it is good and there are some decent meals there).

I'm from Italy so if I read anything about lasagna I will be surely correcting the spelling...please forgive me in advance.

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jcornelius said:

Hi,

new user here located in germany. fan of both the books and the show, but more into the books. I´m a fan of (almost) all things fantasy and science fiction. Favourite writers are Michael Moorcock, George R.R. Martin, Thomas Ligotti and Joe Hill.

Best regards

Welcome! Always nice to have new friends to chat with.

I myself, spend almost all my board time here: http://Westeros games forum

• 2 months later...

Please allow me to introduce myself. Its been a long time since I was a participant in a forum so I thought I would dip my dainty toes in this one. I literally just got round to watching HBO's Game of Thrones on Blu ray ( very cheap now from Online sources or CeX) I went through season one and two in two days! I honestly didnt think it would be that good.. Now im hooked. There are a few times when I had to stifle a groan, but I have been into Sci fi and fantasy Books and Movies Since I was a child.

My late father had Jules Verne, HG Wells et al on the family bookshelf. My own golden reading period was reading through Micheal Moorcock's Eternal Champion series which I discovered as a young teen in the mid seventies. ( Que Hawkwind lps Coloured lightbulbs and Sandalwood Incence!)

Ill give it a go here, Ill try to avoid controversy and long dull posts .

PS Death ti thi Saath!

• 4 weeks later...

Salutations, friends! :D

I simply wanted to drop in here to say "hello."

I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire approximately eighteen years ago; I immediately fell in love with the series and the universe. I have since greatly enjoyed discussing the plot and characters, analyzing the works' profundity, assessing fan theories, and even propounding some hypotheses of my own. I have reread the main series a couple of times and hope to explore it further, and I am also conversant with the accompanying histories and other works, although I have not perused them as religiously -- yet.

This is perhaps a bit irrelevant, but I do want to assert that I love each of the published books in the main series, and that I can appreciate and am able to empathize with most characters -- particularly when their introspection and other benefits of a Point of View are available.

I must here admit that I had qualms about HBO's television adaptation Game of Thrones since the beginning: although I understand the difficulties of adaptation and allow that a TV show could never hope to exhibit as much perspicacity, significance, and detail as a book series could, there were certain failures of thematic translation and other questionable choices that raised flags for me. Having said that, I appreciated the unique quality of the early adaptation. As such, I was an eager fan of the first four seasons despite my relatively few objections, but am -- rightfully, I must humbly submit -- nothing but critical of the latter half of the show, which deserves absolutely none of the acclaim and accolades it has received, particularly in light of how the popular reception compares to the actual good part of the series.

I did previously have an account here, long ago. However, as I can recall neither its credentials nor the associated email, and because I have not been affiliated with the community with a long time, I am essentially writing this brief introduction as a new member.

Valar dohaeris; I look forward to conversing with you all regarding matters of all sorts, insomuch as I am able.

Take care, all! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm stillshimpy.  A while ago, a long time ago now, I was one of the first members of the Unsullied group on TWoP, eventually I ended up reading the books, and some fans of the show read my reactions...because frankly, I'm just one of those people, lots of big, wordy reactions.  

What can I say?  Y'all were between books at the time, it gave folks something to do.  Plus, I can swear pretty inventively when surprised, so that helped pass the time. 

Anyway, the reason I came here is...and I feel a little weird about it, to be honest...to mention that I actually started a channel on YouTube called Cronecast AtTheRisingMoon ...because I'm a tarot card reader. 

I know, nothing to do with Game of Thrones, but I'm just putting that information here because we actually all had a lot of fun.  The readers were known as Bookwalkers, it was a whole thing.  

Just in case anyone remembers me and might like to check that out.  You're still between books, I thought if any of my bookwalking friends were still around, they might enjoy it.  Or not, no pressure.  It was just mentioned to me elsewhere, and like I said, I feel super duper awkward saying anything but ...the world sort of sucks, I'm almost relentlessly positive in a snarky way. 

Okay, admins if you let this shameless self-promotion stand, thank you so much!  

Grog!