R+L=J v.146

Ygrain

:cheers: Well, thing is, to make it pleasantly readable I have to turn pages of notes and quote pulls (what I have now) into sensible prose - after I have figured out wtf it means. Right now, what I have is a lot of notes about various things being compared to Others - Starks in general, Jon in particular, greenseers in general, weirwood trees, and oddly, Kingsguard (that one is clearly symbolic, the KG obviously did not have anything to do with creating Others). Your wrote there about the Starks is certainly one of these. The thing I feel the most strongly about is that the Others were created, and that it involved greenseers (probably human greenseers, not cotf) and killing trees in some fashion. I think we are talking about a small group of human greenseers who somehow got involved with raising the dead, defying death, undying, etc. Just to give you an idea:

Outside, the night was white as death; pale thin clouds danced attendance on a silver moon, while a thousand stars watched coldly. He could see the humped shapes of other huts buried beneath drifts of snow, and beyond them the pale shadow of a weirwood armored in ice. (ADWD, Prologue)

"Pale shadow" is a specific word used to describe the Others, Ghost, and the KG knights, and no one else. Jon, meanwhile, was armored in ice in his Azor Ahai dream. Here we see a weirwood which is a pale shadow armored in ice. The "thousand stars" is a meteor shower reference, which is a clue we are talking about the Long Night here, and taken with a night which is as white as a death (k)night, we get the implication of both he long night and white death knights. The weirwoods symbolize greenseers, and its stays as a pale shadow armored in ice indicates a greenseer which became an icy pale shadow. During the Long Night.

There are many more like this.

The trees had grown icy teeth, snarling down from the bare brown branches.

“The wood’s too silent,” the old forester was saying. “No frogs near that river, no owls in the dark. I never heard no deader wood than this.” “Them teeth of yours sound pretty dead,” said Hake. Dywen clacked his wooden teeth. “No wolves neither. There was, before, but no more. Where’d they go, you figure?”

The light of the moon painted the limbs of the weirwood silvery white as she made her way toward it, but the five- pointed red leaves turned black by night.

The trees stood beneath him, warriors armored in bark and leaf, deployed in their silent ranks awaiting the command to storm the hill. Black, they seemed … it was only when his torchlight brushed against them that Jon glimpsed a flash of green.

“Nor live, I hope,” Mormont said, cutting his ham with a dagger and feeding a bite to the bird. “You have not deserted— yet. Here you stand. If we beheaded every boy who rode to Mole’s Town in the night, only ghosts would guard the Wall.

The others were good men too. Good men in a fight, at least, and loyal to their brothers . Jon could not speak for what they might have been before they reached the Wall, but he did not doubt that most had pasts as black as their cloaks. Up here, they were the sort of men he wanted at his back.Their hoods were raised against the biting wind, and some had scarves wrapped about their faces, hiding their features. Jon knew them, though. Every name was graven on his heart. They were his men, his brothers.

Do you think your uncle Benjen was the only ranger we’ve lost this past year?” “Ben Jen,” the raven squawked, bobbing its head, bits of egg dribbling from its beak. “Ben Jen. Ben Jen.” “No,” Jon said. There had been others. Too many.

Suddenly Arya remembered the crypts at Winterfell. They were a lot scarier than this place, she told herself. She’d been just a little girl the first time she saw them. Her brother Robb had taken them down, her and Sansa and baby Bran, who’d been no bigger than Rickon was now. They’d only had one candle between them, and Bran’s eyes had gotten as big as saucers as he stared at the stone faces of the Kings of Winter, with their wolves at their feet and their iron swords across their laps. Robb took them all the way down to the end, past Grandfather and Brandon and Lyanna, to show them their own tombs. Sansa kept looking at the stubby little candle, anxious that it might go out. Old Nan had told her there were spiders down here, and rats as big as dogs. Robb smiled when she said that. “There are worse things than spiders and rats,” he whispered. “This is where the dead walk.” That was when they heard the sound, low and deep and shivery. Baby Bran had clutched at Arya’s hand. When the spirit stepped out of the open tomb, pale white and moaning for blood, Sansa ran shrieking for the stairs, and Bran wrapped himself around Robb’s leg, sobbing. Arya stood her ground and gave the spirit a punch. It was only Jon, covered with flour.

In the dark he’d heard the scrape of stone on stone. When he turned he saw that the vaults were opening, one after the other. As the dead kings came stumbling from their cold black graves, Jon had woken in pitch- dark, his heart hammering.

It's really fascinating LmL. There are so many symbolisms.

I don't get this one: "Their hoods were raised against the biting wind, and some had scarves wrapped about their faces, hiding their features"

Is there a thread about this, or do you have a blog?

p.s. do you study literature?

It's really fascinating LmL. There are so many symbolisms.

I don't get this one: "Their hoods were raised against the biting wind, and some had scarves wrapped about their faces, hiding their features"

Is there a thread about this, or do you have a blog?

p.s. do you study literature?

The scarves wrapped around their head to hide their face I take as a Coldhands referencer. I think CH represents something about the original NW. The WW and NW are both shadows, and both watchers - the NW are black shadows, the WW pale shadows or white shadows. I think the original NW may well have been undead in some way, perhaps like CH. That may be what Jon is headed for - armored in ice. These would be undead greenseers, who have a soul (which I believe CH has, and I believe Jon will also). They would be the ideal people to withstand the cold and fight the others, perhaps. The original NW surely wielded fire, and I think that's what Jon's dream may be about. Armored in ice, wielding a fire sword and shooting fire arrows. Undead, with ravens on their shoulders. Something like that.

My blog is here, enjoy:

https://lucifermeanslightbringer.wordpress.com

Do I study literature? I do now. ;) No, i've no college education to speak of. I do however read books about comparative mythology in my free time, which is what gave me eyes to interpret the myth Martin is writing.

Archived