BRAN’S GROWING POWERS AFTER his FINAL POV in ADwD

evita mgfs

On 3/27/2016 at 4:21 PM, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Thank you for your ideas around the communion etc...... That's definitely something worth mentioning.  George sometimes talks of his Catholic days, and his confusion around some of the religion, and indeed how this has inspired some aspects of his religions in Asoiaf, mainly The Seven, but he loves to play with things and weave various inspirations through multiple storylines. 

In fact as I was reading, and you made the points about the wafer, wine, and the clever association of Cat sinking her teeth into the 'bread' of the arm etc....... It reminded me of this passage from The Blind Girl...............

That evening Umma served salt-crusted crabs for supper.  When her cup was presented to her, the blind girl wrinkled her nose and drank it down in three long gulps.  Then she gasped and dropped the cup.  Her tongue was on fire, and when she gulped a cup of wine the flames spread down her throat and up her nose.

''Wine will not help, and water will just fan the flames,'' the waif told her. ''Eat this.''  A heel of bread was pressed into her hand.  The girl stuffed it in her mouth, chewed, swallowed.  It helped.  A second chunk helped more.  

This seemed very similar to me, so thought it worth a post.  I do think he is playing with some of these inspirations in different story arcs.  This all of course served to give Arya her sight back, with what seemed to be some kind of necessity to ingest a form of liquid/drink that will give her sight back?  Or perhaps it was to facilitate that spiritual transcendence you mentioned, in this case the next step seemed to be the 'magic' needed for a transformation of the face. 

snip

WIZZ-THE-SMITH:  :DMy dear Lord of Light, I thought you might enjoy this piece I wrote about CRABS since you mention that Umma serves them:

This is a close reading I developed involving the Symbology of Crabs, which Mormont, Tyrion, and others dine on during their farewell to Tyrion Lannister from AGOT Tyrion III / BOOK 1 CHAPTER 22

“Mormont picked up a crab claw and cracked it in his fist. Old as he was, the Lord Commander still had the strength of a bear.”

·       Through Tyrion’s appreciation of food, Martin introduces those succulent crabs [“As they laughed, he [Tyrion] sucked the meat from a crab leg and reached for another. The crabs had arrived from Eastwatch only this morning, packed in a barrel of snow, and they were succulent”] that also have symbolic significance, as noted below, from the Online Dictionary of Symbology:

SYMBOLOGY OF CRAB

·       Point 1:  Crabs can be most closely related to the zodiacal sign of Cancer and the shortening of days after the peak of summer, thus related to death with the Summer-solstice and the death of the Sun-hero through Cancer.

·       Point 2:  The movement of the SUN (what causes the diminution of daylight) connects the crab with dishonesty and unreliability.

·       Point 3:  Most crabs, being crustaceans, have hard shells like ARMOR. Crabs are found either on land or in WATER, suggesting a dual nature that crabs may represent.

·       Point 4:  Associatied with bad-temperedness, aggressiveness.

·       Point 5:  Claws gripping, especially in dreams related to lobster, means sexual relations one wants to be free from.

·       Point  6:   Also in dreams, morally repressed sex, the orgasm, a gripping sensation in the abdomen.  http://www.umich.edu/~umfandsf/symbolismproject/symbolism.html/C/crab.html

Point 1:  The fact that crabs as a symbol are associated with the shortening of days after the peak of summer fits well with the discussion that Mormont has with Tyrion when they meet one-on-one, and Mormont begins this conversation by asking Tyrion how many winters he has seen [207].

He shrugged. "Eight, nine. I misremember."

"And all of them short."

"As you say, my lord." He had been born in the dead of winter, a terrible cruel one that the maesters said had lasted near three years, but Tyrion's earliest memories were of spring.

"When I was a boy, it was said that a long summer always meant a long winter to come. This summer has lasted nine years, Tyrion, and a tenth will soon be upon us. Think on that."

"When I was a boy," Tyrion replied, "my wet nurse told me that one day, if men were good, the gods would give the world a summer without ending. Perhaps we've been better than we thought, and the Great Summer is finally at hand." He grinned.

The Lord Commander did not seem amused. "You are not fool enough to believe that, my lord. Already the days grow shorter. There can be no mistake, Aemon has had letters from the Citadel, findings in accord with his own. The end of summer stares us in the face."

Mormont points out that Maester Aemon has been watching the sky and recording his findings regarding the shortening of the days.  [Maester Luwin does the same, and Bran observes him doing so in his 3EC vision earlier.] Maester Aemon even has letters from the Citadel that confirm the end of summer, and winter is coming.

The reference to crabs being related to the death with the Summer-Solstice and death of the Sun-hero through Cancer speaks to Mormont’s confidences to Tyrion of the coming darkness and endless winter:

Mormont reached out and clutched Tyrion tightly by the hand. "You must make them understand. I tell you, my lord, the darkness is coming. There are wild things in the woods, direwolves and mammoths and snow bears the size of aurochs, and I have seen darker shapes in my dreams."

AND

"These are old bones, Lannister, but they have never felt a chill like this. Tell the king what I say, I pray you. Winter is coming, and when the Long Night falls, only the Night's Watch will stand between the realm and the darkness that sweeps from the north. The gods help us all if we are not ready."

Point 2:  Dishonesty and Unreliability:Tyrion, in point, is dishonest by omission with Mormont in that he does not warn the Lord Commander that his passing on the Old Bear’s pleas for more men to man the Watch will fall on deaf ears; however, the readers are aware of the unreliability of those whom Mormont seeks for help and salvation:

"I promise, the king will hear of your need," Tyrion said gravely, "and I will speak to my father and my brother Jaime as well." And he would. Tyrion Lannister was as good as his word. He left the rest unsaid; that King Robert would ignore him, Lord Tywin would ask if he had taken leave of his senses, and Jaime would only laugh.”

Unreliability applies to the men on the Watch presently as well, even the men who are the high ranking officers, whom Mormont holds little faith in:

“Too old and too weary for the burden I bear, yet if I set it down, who will pick it up? Alliser Thorne? Bowen Marsh? I would have to be as blind as Maester Aemon not to see what they are. The Night's Watch has become an army of sullen boys and tired old men. Apart from the men at my table tonight, I have perhaps twenty who can read, and even fewer who can think, or plan, or lead. Once the Watch spent its summers building, and each Lord Commander raised the Wall higher than he found it. Now it is all we can do to stay alive."

Mormont does not think as highly of Ser Alliser and Bowen Marsh, both of whom he suggests are sullen and tired old men.  It appears that these two men may be integral in the Caesaring of Jon Snow in ADwD, Bowen Marsh even taking a dagger to his own Lord Commander, and Ser Alliser’s involvement NOW seems assured, although he is not present during the actual stabbing that we know of.

Point 3: Hard Shells like Armor:  All the men dining on the crabs have “hard shells”, somewhat similar to a crab although their armor is one that guards their emotional well-being as well as  the physical aspect.  Tyrion has cautioned Jon Snow to armor himself in his bastardy, and the readers have learned from Benjen, Donal Noye, and Ser Alliser Thorne that the men on the Wall are hard, cold men, Watchers who have built a protective shell around themselves, even taking vows that forbid them emotional attachments to their families and their politics.  They give up all such connections when they take their vows before men and their gods.

Moreover, the brothers build up a tolerance to the cold weather.  This “shell” helps them cope with the freezing conditions they face day in and day out guarding the Wall and protecting the realms of men.

Point  4:  Bad-temperedness and Aggressiveness:  Ser Alliser Thorne is the crab eater among the diners who best represents bad temperedness, for he accuses Tyrion, a guest at dinner, of mocking the noble enterprise of the Night’s Watch and Thorne even reacts melodramatically by challenging Tyrion to a duel.  Tyrion’s responses to Thorne are colored by a wee bit too much drink, but Thorne shows his aggressive nature by wanting to settle a jest in the yard with steel in hand.

Tyrion grinned. "Then I shall scour the Seven Kingdoms for dwarfs and ship them all to you, Lord Mormont." As they laughed, he sucked the meat from a crab leg and reached for another. The crabs had arrived from Eastwatch only this morning, packed in a barrel of snow, and they were succulent.

Ser Alliser Thorne was the only man at table who did not so much as crack a smile. "Lannister mocks us."

"Only you, Ser Alliser," Tyrion said. This time the laughter round the table had a nervous, uncertain quality to it.

Thorne's black eyes fixed on Tyrion with loathing. "You have a bold tongue for someone who is less than half a man. Perhaps you and I should visit the yard together."

"Why?" asked Tyrion. "The crabs are here."

The remark brought more guffaws from the others. Ser Alliser stood up, his mouth a tight line. "Come and make your japes with steel in your hand."

Tyrion looked pointedly at his right hand. "Why, I have steel in my hand, Ser Alliser, although it appears to be a crab fork. Shall we duel?" He hopped up on his chair and began poking at Thorne's chest with the tiny fork. Roars of laughter filled the tower room. Bits of crab flew from the Lord Commander's mouth as he began to gasp and choke. Even his raven joined in, cawing loudly from above the window. "Duel! Duel! Duel!"

Thorne obviously over-reacts to Tyrion’s witty repertoire, and no doubt he gathers momentum for his dislike of Tyrion because the dwarf came to the defense of Jon Snow in the common hall not long beforehand. The fact that Ser Alliser lacks a sense of humor and the ability to laugh at himself all mark him as aggressive and ill-tempered.

Point  5:  Not Applicable.  I do not believe any of the men dining on crab are involved in a sexual relationship in which they wish to be free of, so this point is not applicable.

Point  6:  Morally Repressed Sexuality.  The men of the Watch may indeed be morally repressed sexually since they are to forgo marriage and remain true to their vows.  In a healthy heterosexual male, this aspect of the brotherhood may be difficult to maintain and cause sexual repression.  Even Tyrion Lannister, another crab eater in the group, is sexually repressed for he can only find willing bedmates through paying for prostitutes to service him.

Hey, WIZZ-THE-SMITH:  I finally found this piece I wrote about the voices that Arya hears while avoiding dangers in King’s Landing:

ARYA AND THE FORCE OF THE OLD GODS:  SYRIO FOREL

NYMERIA STILL EMPOWERS ARYA

Arya loses her direwolf and her father, but the nurturing power that Nymeria as an agent of the old gods has over Arya is symbolically transferred to surrogates, and in AGoT, Syrio Forel acts as Arya’s temporary spiritual guide. Furthermore, Syrio saves Arya from being taken by the gold cloaks by engaging them in some “dancing”.  

Because of Syrio’s intervention, Arya escapes.  Even though she may not see Syrio alive again, he has made quite an impression on her, and wrapped neatly in his intense water dancing instruction, Syrio Forel disguises a  myriad of other life and survival lessons.  Most important,  Syrio encourages Arya to be aware of her sensory perceptions:

“Just so.  Opening your eyes is all that is needing.  The heart lies and the head plays tricks with us, but the eyes see true.  Look with your eyes.  Hear with your ears.  Taste with your mouth.  Smell with your nose.  Feel with your skin.  Then comes the thinking, afterward, and in that way knowing the truth” (532).

Later in AgoT, Arya puts into practice Syrio Forel’s lessons when she escapes the Lannister forces to traverse near the wharf, where she sees the Wind Witch, the ship that her father had planned for his daughters  to sail on enroute to Winterfell.  But she does not recognize the men onboard as her father’s retainers.  Arya rubs tears from her eyes, and Martin writes “her eyes her eyes her eyes, why did . . .”

Look with your eyes, she heard Syrio whisper.”

As a result of Syrio’s guidance, Arya scrutinizes the men and determines that they are not who they seem.  A man among them calls her “boy”, so she plays along:  “They were looking for a girl, but he thought she was a boy.  She would be a boy then” (721).  By pretending she is a boy, Arya fools the men, controlling her urge not to bolt, which will only draw attention and suspicion to her.

Moreover, during her frantic race to avoid detection on the streets of King’s Landing, she spots Lannister guards looking for her.  Arya is “too frightened to move” (539).  Yet “a small voice whispered in her ear”, and saying, “Calm as still water”.  Arya is startled, and she looks around wildly for the speaker.  Then she hears, “Quiet as a shadow”.  Arya wonders if what she hears is her own voice or Syrio’s?  She cannot tell, yet somehow the voice calms her (539).

Arya is frantic; regardless, she hears words that empower her, giving her the courage and strength to “walk” – not run – past the guards so as not to draw attention to herself.  Without the voice in her head, she may have given in to her fears and bolted. 

The calming voice of Syrio is described as a “whisper”, which is a verb associated with Bloodraven in his cave and with the leaves in the weirwood.  Bran listens to his greenseer wizard who whispers in the dark.  Many, including Bran and Osha, listen to the wind “whispering” through the weirwood leaves.  Osha says that the wind is brought by the old gods, and when the leaves rustle, the gods are speaking, or answering prayers. 

The voice Arya hears suggests a force related to the old gods.  The word “whisper” also foreshadows events to come, such as Arya’s refuge on Braavos, a city full of “masks and whispers”.  In the House of Black and White, it is so quiet that even whispers may be heard.

I have a ridiculous theory regarding Lord Brynden, whom I see as somehow strongly related to Jon Snow's Ghost in coloring and in disposition; that is, both are albinos,  I am unsure whether Ghost is an albino, but others have often said as much on the Forum.

Perhaps Bloodraven warged the male direwolf that impregnated the female direwolf from which the Starks adopt their pups.

Wouldn't that just be a fitting way to make the pups part ice and part fire?

Moreover, the pups then truly are gifts from the old gods.:o

Albinos in this series are harbingers of magic, it's true.  The albino man who becomes known as a wizard and then a great greenseer, the silent albino wolf, the silent albino trees which despite their silence communicate so much.   Perhaps BR isn't the father of Ghost, but they may be related by what ever magic empowers them. 

edt; another thought.  If the power of the old gods is in the albinos, then what of Bran who is not an albino?  Will this cause a conflict later along the line?  Will he refuse to bond with the tree as BR has?  If he leaves the cave will being out of the cave and back among men will that increase his power or diminish it?

Evita and everyone who has posted on this thread.  I want to say how much I have enjoyed your posts. So much thought and work in all the details you have written.  I seldom post on the forums but I read many of the threads. 

I want to tell Evita that I have followed her posts for the last year in whatever thread she posted in and I have just loved everything she has posted.  A wonderful teacher who has given me many moments of pleasure. I am sorry I waited so long to post appreciation. 

I am a very old woman and not very good on the computer side.  I wish I had been a young student in Evita's English lit class...what a joy. 

Once again thank you to everyone who has posted here.

I have pages and pages of notes from the books because I noticed hints of symbols and metaphors but could not put them together in my understanding.  Parallel plotlines etc etc.

Someone above mentioned the wind and the various ways GRRM describes cloaks being affected by the wind.  I have had that list broken down into characters for two years..lol. Those whose cloaks flapp, or snap. Those whose cloaks stream. Etc...  Perhaps one day someone will explain how these characters are aligned.  I am sure there are clues there, I am just not able to figure it out. Thank you to those who do and who post their finds here.

I have just loved the wind is Bran idea and I am convinced by all of your fine work on this thread..

2 hours ago, Lady Arya's Song said:

Evita and everyone who has posted on this thread.  I want to say how much I have enjoyed your posts. So much thought and work in all the details you have written.  I seldom post on the forums but I read many of the threads. 

I want to tell Evita that I have followed her posts for the last year in whatever thread she posted in and I have just loved everything she has posted.  A wonderful teacher who has given me many moments of pleasure. I am sorry I waited so long to post appreciation. 

I am a very old woman and not very good on the computer side.  I wish I had been a young student in Evita's English lit class...what a joy. 

Once again thank you to everyone who has posted here.

I have pages and pages of notes from the books because I noticed hints of symbols and metaphors but could not put them together in my understanding.  Parallel plotlines etc etc.

Someone above mentioned the wind and the various ways GRRM describes cloaks being affected by the wind.  I have had that list broken down into characters for two years..lol. Those whose cloaks flapp, or snap. Those whose cloaks stream. Etc...  Perhaps one day someone will explain how these characters are aligned.  I am sure there are clues there, I am just not able to figure it out. Thank you to those who do and who post their finds here.

I have just loved the wind is Bran idea and I am convinced by all of your fine work on this thread..

MY DEAR LADY ARYA'S SONG: :wub: THIS REPLY MADE ME CRY:crying:.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words.  I wish I had the pleasure of having you in my class as well.  After reading many unkind comments on the forum, imagine how I felt upon reading these words of yours.

BTW / WELCOME TO BRAN'S GROWING POWERS. :cheers: You never have to fear posting here.  As you can probably tell, this thread has attracted some exceptionally nice people, counting you now as one of us.  We enjoy everyone's opinions, and Wizz could not be a kinder comrade and kindred spirit as well.

If you have followed me, then you may know about my unfortunate experience that caused me to leave teaching - PTSD after a student pointed a gun at me - for me a tragic event that robbed me off a job I adored.  I still mourn the loss of my students, all of whom over the years kept me young and inspired.  Finding westeros.org and meeting wonderful folk like you and wizz and ravenouus reader and longstrider - you can only imagine how my heart might burst after having to leave a profession to which I devoted so much of myself.

You know, concerning Bran's growing powers, because we have advanced our thoughts over these pages, I find it difficult to even discuss Bran on other threads because if I say Bran's presence is in the fog and mists, the bricks of WF, the leaves, wind, etc ., other readers have no idea to what I am referring.  There is such a "lead in" and background that builds up to Bran's advancement as a greenseer, others will dismiss what I say as if I am nuts.  Actually, Martin prepares readers in AGoT - and we just follow through the other novels, tracing the carefully laid motifs Martin scatters like so many bread crumbs.

I cannot wait to read more of your observations.  Please feel free to contribute, and once again, thank you for your kind words.  

I am sincerely appreciative - it truly means the world to me.

However, I am not alone in making this thread what it is, and I want to give credit to my fellow colleagues here who have motivated and inspired me.

:grouphug:NOW YOU ARE ONE OF US!:love:

Ok now I have tears in my eyes..lol Thank you for wonderful welcome and this does indeed seem a very very nice thread with kind and thoughtful responses.  Perhaps I will post more.

I understand completely the dilemma of posting about Bran's capabilities in other threads.  Very few serious readers willing to really delve deeply into Martin's use of prose as literary clues for us.

I think someone mentioned a blog by a very nice fellow named Cantuse.  He has been ill for a while but I recently noticed he has posted a wonderful article on Bran's visions and how they are actually explaining happenings in real time to other characters and possibly even the future.   I do not know how to link his blog here but I think Whizz or Longrider might know his blog.  Really a great read and much like your breakdown of the wind and rustling leaves metaphors with BR and Bran.

Oh, one other idea from all of you.

I rather liked the ideas all of you presenting about the symbolism of Bran.  Bran with his bird like perch on top of WF and then later his being in the  whole raven idea and learning to fly. I do believe Bran is in the raven in many parts of the story in ADWD and especially the gift Wind chapters. Also how you all included Jon on top of the wall ,,,the black crow perching.  l loved the person who posted the comment about Araya in Braavos " PERCHED on the piling while its windy and foggy.( She reminded me of a seagull ) Sansa in the Vale and her bird thoughts wishing she could fly away.  I will have to do a reread to see if any other characters other than the Stark children arg given this symbolism.  I know Tyrion perches but he is noted with the gargoyle that perches.  Will have to check on Dany over in Meereen high on top her pyramid.  Just love this whole thread.

On 3/30/2016 at 9:31 AM, LongRider said:

Albinos in this series are harbingers of magic, it's true.  The albino man who becomes known as a wizard and then a great greenseer, the silent albino wolf, the silent albino trees which despite their silence communicate so much.   Perhaps BR isn't the father of Ghost, but they may be related by what ever magic empowers them. 

edt; another thought.  If the power of the old gods is in the albinos, then what of Bran who is not an albino?  Will this cause a conflict later along the line?  Will he refuse to bond with the tree as BR has?  If he leaves the cave will being out of the cave and back among men will that increase his power or diminish it?

:rolleyes:HEY, LONGRIDER: :bowdown: I decided to investigate albinism for kicks and giggles, and I learned a few interesting points.

One of many sources says the following:

"Albino wolves" do not exist in the wild, for two reasons; wolves don't really have albinism in their genetic pool, and anyway, albino wolves would not live past the juvenile stage since albino wolves are usually born blind (which would be fatal for a wolf) and they would be prone to cancer since as they have no protection from the sun. If an albino wolf did exist, it would indeed have red or pink eyes. People who refer to "albino" wolves are probably talking about white wolfs or Arctic wolves.  http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100626100341AAwKMtl

Now, after reading that piece about wolves, I checked the Wiki of I&F, a source not often deemed accurate, but anyhoo:

“Ghost is an albino direwolf bonded to Jon Snow. He received his name because of his white fur and the fact that he never makes a sound.”

BTW:  Ghost howls in Jon’s wolf dream.

I then looked up albinism in humans, and I found these points:

9. Do all people with albinism have white hair?
No. OCA1a is the subtype typically associated with white hair, as people with this type have no pigment. Depending on the type of albinism and the race, people with albinism can have white, blond or brown hair. People with ocular albinism (OA), a subtype affecting only the eyes, can have black hair.

10. Do all people with albinism have pink eyes?
No. Most people with albinism have blue, green, hazel or even brown eyes. The pink appearance is due to the reflection of the back of the eye through a pale iris, as described above” [http://www.visionfortomorrow.org/albinism-faqs/].

·        The pale blue eyes and milk white skin brought to mind the Others, or the White Walkers.

·        Your mention of the magic associated with albinism caused me to speculate on the coloring of the ice creatures, who may have some genetic disposition in this regard with different color eyes as manifestations.

SEE WHAT YOU DO TO ME?:bang:  I start stewing and fermenting and conjuring – :bawl:ALL YOUR OBSERVATIONS ABOUT BRAN AND BR ARE AWESOME, AND I cannot begin to sensibly address your questions, which may have been rhetorical anyway!

7 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

:rolleyes:HEY, LONGRIDER: :bowdown: I decided to investigate albinism for kicks and giggles, and I learned a few interesting points.

~~~~snip~~~~~~~

SEE WHAT YOU DO TO ME?:bang:  I start stewing and fermenting and conjuring – :bawl:ALL YOUR OBSERVATIONS ABOUT BRAN AND BR ARE AWESOME, AND I cannot begin to sensibly address your questions, which may have been rhetorical anyway!

That was rather interesting Evita, your research effort was not all in vain.   :cheers:

Fortunately for us, in GRRM's fantasy world he can change a few things so as to have what we normally think about albinism ie; white hair and red eyes can be the case.   Then he infuses his albino's with magic and lets us sort them out.  :)   Sorting them out, that's where in the fun is.  

1 hour ago, Lady Arya's Song said:

Ok now I have tears in my eyes..lol Thank you for wonderful welcome and this does indeed seem a very very nice thread with kind and thoughtful responses.  Perhaps I will post more.

I understand completely the dilemma of posting about Bran's capabilities in other threads.  Very few serious readers willing to really delve deeply into Martin's use of prose as literary clues for us.

I think someone mentioned a blog by a very nice fellow named Cantuse.  He has been ill for a while but I recently noticed he has posted a wonderful article on Bran's visions and how they are actually explaining happenings in real time to other characters and possibly even the future.   I do not know how to link his blog here but I think Whizz or Longrider might know his blog.  Really a great read and much like your breakdown of the wind and rustling leaves metaphors with BR and Bran.

I rather liked the ideas all of you presenting about the symbolism of Bran.  Bran with his bird like perch on top of WF and then later his being in the  whole raven idea and learning to fly. I do believe Bran is in the raven in many parts of the story in ADWD and especially the gift Wind chapters. Also how you all included Jon on top of the wall ,,,the black crow perching.  l loved the person who posted the comment about Araya in Braavos " PERCHED on the piling while its windy and foggy.( She reminded me of a seagull ) Sansa in the Vale and her bird thoughts wishing she could fly away.  I will have to do a reread to see if any other characters other than the Stark children arg given this symbolism.  I know Tyrion perches but he is noted with the gargoyle that perches.  Will have to check on Dany over in Meereen high on top her pyramid.  Just love this whole thread.

Hi Lady Arya's Song, and welcome to Bran's growing powers!  I hope you do post some more, two great posts to start!  I would love to hear your ideas or thoughts on whatever we muse about. :D  And that list you have made of all the characters and their cloaks sounds very interesting, good work!  I'd love to see that sometime if you still have it. 

I totally agree it is hard to gather such vast amounts of information and then try to make sense out of it all.  As I think Evita mentioned we have picked up on some of these techniques and then kind of attacked various POV's we feel may bring results.  There is so much left to find I'm absolutely sure.

I also agree that Cantuse and his post on Bran are excellent and well worth a read.  In fact I posted a link to that essay up thread.  Or least I think it was that essay?  The one where he studies the moon formations in Bran's last chapter and links them to other events throughout the book?  Anyway if anyone is interested just hit that link and it will take you to that essay.  If not you will be on the site and should be able to find it. 

Finally, thank you so much for your compliments, they are hugely appreciated!  :wub:  I spotted a couple of my posts that you were mentioning on top of all Evita's great work.  It really does make it worthwhile when someone appreciates what we've been doing here. 

Thank you Lady Arya's Song, hope to see you again. :)   

16 minutes ago, LongRider said:

That was rather interesting Evita, your research effort was not all in vain.   :cheers:

Fortunately for us, in GRRM's fantasy world he can change a few things so as to have what we normally think about albinism ie; white hair and red eyes can be the case.   Then he infuses his albino's with magic and lets us sort them out.  :)   Sorting them out, that's where in the fun is.  

HAR, HAR!  That's the truth.:agree:

But the information about wolves with albinism not reaching ages beyond that of a juvenile certainly MIGHT FURTHER EMPHASIZE the magic associated with Jon Snow's Ghost.  He has grown strong and powerful, which may be because of his bond with Jon Snow.

21 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Couldn't agree more, that is indeed where the fun is!  :P

To add a couple of albino characters with magic associations, we have the Ghost of High Heart and her visions or the 'whispers' she receives in her sleep from the old gods.  And Mel, I know she has red hair, but hey, Sansa....... and the SSM George gave about dye being used in Westeros fuelled that theory so worth considering it.  She has clear pale skin and red eyes after all.  ;)

Nice observations as usual Longie! 

2 hours ago, Lady Arya's Song said:

LADY ARYA'S SONG: :bowdown: Excellent contributions. :cheers: Please, please, please post your cloak research.  I mentioned earlier about Ghost coating himself with snow three times in Jon7 of ADwD, definite foreshadowing of warging and skinchanging.

Also, when the eagle attacks Ghost in ACoK, Qhorin uses a piece of Jon's black cloak to bandage Ghost, and Jon wraps his arms around Ghost, thinking about how they are one.  At night, he sleeps with Ghost close, thinking of how his wolf's fur keeps him warm and makes him feel secure.

Your name -  "Arya's Song", are you aware of what an "aria" is?  A song a diva sings?:wub:  I am sure you are, and I wanted to draw attention to your keen user name.  Are you an opera fan?

30 minutes ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Hi Lady Arya's Song, and welcome to Bran's growing powers!  I hope you do post some more, two great posts to start!  I would love to hear your ideas or thoughts on whatever we muse about. :D  And that list you have made of all the characters and their cloaks sounds very interesting, good work!  I'd love to see that sometime if you still have it. 

I totally agree it is hard to gather such vast amounts of information and then try to make sense out of it all.  As I think Evita mentioned we have picked up on some of these techniques and then kind of attacked various POV's we feel may bring results.  There is so much left to find I'm absolutely sure.

I also agree that Cantuse and his post on Bran are excellent and well worth a read.  In fact I posted a link to that essay up thread.  Or least I think it was that essay?  The one where he studies the moon formations in Bran's last chapter and links them to other events throughout the book?  Anyway if anyone is interested just hit that link and it will take you to that essay.  If not you will be on the site and should be able to find it. 

Finally, thank you so much for your compliments, they are hugely appreciated!  :wub:  I spotted a couple of my posts that you were mentioning on top of all Evita's great work.  It really does make it worthwhile when someone appreciates what we've been doing here. 

Thank you Lady Arya's Song, hope to see you again. :)   

:bowdown:Wizz:  please repost any links that you have mentioned.  I know I may have missed some really awesome contributions, and I have seen on other Forums where a good OP brings past posts forward.  I would love to read Cantuse and you mentioned Word Press somewhere.  Let's get those links repeated - it is easier than trying to find things on earlier pages, although I do think our color coding and capital letters and bold facing does help, so we should not be afraid to do that as well.

ACTUALLY, A SHOUT OUT TO ALL POSTERS HERE:

BRING FORWARD ANY PAST SCHOLARLY RESPONSES AND VALUABLE LINKS.  AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE, GREAT WORDS NEED TO BE REPEATED AND REVISITED.

I am posting a few threads I started that I have mentioned, and some of you may enjoy reading what other scholars have added to my observations and analyses.

Motifs and Meaning in Martin’s “Mercy” TWoW

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109264-spoilers-motifs-meaning-in-martins-mercy/

Arya and the Water Motif in Braavos

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/76013-arya-no-one-and-the-water-motif-in-braavos/page-4

The Blood Motif in ASoIaF/Symbolism/Analysis/Patterns

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/94439-the-blood-motif-in-asoiafsymbolismanalysispatterns/page-2

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:47 PM, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Here is a possibility for a time travelling Bran for Evita.  This passage of text is from Arya X, ACOK............... 

“Tell me what to do, you gods,” she prayed.

For a long moment there was no sound but the wind and the water and the creak of leaf and limb. And then, far far off, beyond the godswood and the haunted towers and the immense stone walls of Harrenhal, from somewhere out in the world, came the long lonely howl of a wolf. Gooseprickles rose on Arya’s skin, and for an instant she felt dizzy. Then, so faintly, it seemed as if she heard her father’s voice. “When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives,” he said.

“But there is no pack,” she whispered to the weirwood. Bran and Rickon were dead, the Lannisters had Sansa, Jon had gone to the Wall. “I’m not even me now, I’m Nan.”

“You are Arya of Winterfell, daughter of the north. You told me you could be strong. You have the wolf blood in you.”

“The wolf blood.” Arya remembered now. “I’ll be as strong as Robb. I said I would.” She took a deep breath, then lifted the broomstick in both hands and brought it down across her knee. It broke with a loud crack, and she threw the pieces aside. I am a direwolf, and done with wooden teeth.

It is easy to miss, if it means anything at all, but this is a flat out conversation and the speech quotation marks are straight from the books.  With what we know about the 'rustling of the leaves' insinuating that the old gods are talking, this passage is very interesting.  Is that Bran? Or Bloodraven? Or Ned?  I think a time travelling Bran is absolutely one to consider here, the term 'seemed to hear her father's voice' could mean the faint nature of this whisper on the wind is too hard to differentiate one from the other.  And the way Ned looked up at the tree in Bran's last chapter would hold more significance if these were proven to be the case, it did seem that Ned heard him, are these subtle clues he is already able to communicate in the past?  I feel it's impossible to rule them out with what we [think] we know.  The well respected Steven Attwell thinks the same, here's the link.  It's well worth a read. [this passage is about 5 or so minutes read into it]

https://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/chapter-by-chapter-analysis-arya-x-acok/

The second one debates the moon formations in Bran's chapters and whether or not we can link them to future events in ADWD.  The poster Cantuse runs this wordpress page, and again there is some really interesting stuff in there.  The link will be below if anyone is interested, I've only read this one once, I will read it again, but it's a cool idea and maybe we can bounce some ideas of one another after reading some others opinions on these chapters.  The more the better.  :) 

https://cantuse.wordpress.com/2016/02/01/moon_visions/

Here's that post Evita.  I think both essays are worthy of your attention and confirms that some of the 'old' posters who have left Westeros, and gone off to create their own websites and wordpress pages [very successfully I might add] are thinking and working on the same sorts of ideas as you/us.    :D 

The first link is an Arya chapter analysis and touches on the voice in the wind Arya hears I mention above.

The second link is the Cantuse essay on the moon formations that I think Lady Arya's Song referenced earlier.

As I mentioned, both well worth a read for everyone, hey, they are posting with the same thoughts as us regards Bran's powers and his 'time travelling'.  :)   

14 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

I am posting a few threads I started that I have mentioned, and some of you may enjoy reading what other scholars have added to my observations and analyses.

Motifs and Meaning in Martin’s “Mercy” TWoW

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109264-spoilers-motifs-meaning-in-martins-mercy/

Arya and the Water Motif in Braavos

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/76013-arya-no-one-and-the-water-motif-in-braavos/page-4

The Blood Motif in ASoIaF/Symbolism/Analysis/Patterns

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/94439-the-blood-motif-in-asoiafsymbolismanalysispatterns/page-2

Awesome, great idea Evita, thanks.  I look forward to attacking those when time allows, I'm sure they can help all of us with some of these techniques.  Though at the moment I am enjoying this thread and all the great posts, so much to chew on! 

As you mentioned, it is easy to miss some great content from previous posts as well.  I will have to read them again to really give them all justice, especially your chat with Ravenous Reader, one of the highlights in an already great thread.  :D

3 hours ago, evita mgfs said:

If you have followed me, then you may know about my unfortunate experience that caused me to leave teaching - PTSD after a student pointed a gun at me - for me a tragic event that robbed me off a job I adored.  I still mourn the loss of my students, all of whom over the years kept me young and inspired.  Finding westeros.org and meeting wonderful folk like you and wizz and ravenouus reader and longstrider - you can only imagine how my heart might burst after having to leave a profession to which I devoted so much of myself.

You know, concerning Bran's growing powers, because we have advanced our thoughts over these pages, I find it difficult to even discuss Bran on other threads because if I say Bran's presence is in the fog and mists, the bricks of WF, the leaves, wind, etc

So sorry, evita, I did not know about your traumatic experience.  But such you prove that the life of the spirit goes on, no matter!  Herewith, some inspirational comfort from Bran, dealing with his own 'PTSD' (it's actually my favorite of all Bran's passages):

From A Clash of Kings - Bran VII

At the edge of the wolfswood, Bran turned in his basket for one last glimpse of the castle that had been his life. Wisps of smoke still rose into the grey sky, but no more than might have risen from Winterfell's chimneys on a cold autumn afternoon. Soot stains marked some of the arrow loops, and here and there a crack or a missing merlon could be seen in the curtain wall, but it seemed little enough from this distance. Beyond, the tops of the keeps and towers still stood as they had for hundreds of years, and it was hard to tell that the castle had been sacked and burned at all. The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I'm not dead either.

4 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

So sorry, evita, I did not know about your traumatic experience.  But such you prove that the life of the spirit goes on, no matter!  Herewith, some inspirational comfort from Bran, dealing with his own 'PTSD' (it's actually my favorite of all Bran's passages):

THANKS, RAVENOUS READER. :wub: I have done a lot of crying today.  The quote from Bran is one I love as well, and reading it as a gift from you makes my heart ache, but in a good way.:bawl:  I was telling Wizz how awesome it has been, getting up in the morning, looking forward to hearing from others who have been making this thread their home.  :grouphug:

It is so important to have a community of scholars who are supportive, inspiring, and caring.  Even though we love to deconstruct and analyze Martin, we all have hearts, and that makes a great difference when creating a successful thread.

I think having a heart and the ability to empathize also makes us stronger as far as our perceptions in looking into great literary works.

BTW/ I am SO HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU!  I was afraid that you were angry with me.

Hey, when my post disappears, if I reload the page and right click, a message opens up and I hit "redo".  Usually, my lost post reappears.

Maybe it will work for you.

Can't wait to read what you have to say.

:grouphug:This little emoticom is US!

Archived